• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Found this today

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

MDJ

I found this 24" barreled action (L579 Forester 308) this afternoon while sorting through some rifle cases. The bore is incredibly clean and shiny. I would love some opinions on stocks. If I don't run across the original stock, will it be difficult to find an original, or should I look into an aftermarket "so to speak".

I would like opinions on scopes. I would like to deer hunt with it, but don't know much about 308's. I am thinking I would use it as a shorter range gun, but like I said, I'm not too familiar with this caliber.

I also came across an Interarms action with a 375 H&H barrel with a muzzle brake, as well, but I guess that is for another webite. IMG_3377.jpg IMG_3379.jpg IMG_3381.jpg IMG_3383.jpg IMG_3384.jpg

I found this 24" barreled action (L579 Forester 308) this afternoon while sorting through some rifle cases. The bore is incredibly clean and shiny. I would love some opinions on stocks. If I don't run across the original stock, will it be difficult to find an original, or should I look into an aftermarket "so to speak".

I would like opinions on scopes. I would like to deer hunt with it, but don't know much about 308's. I am thinking I would use it as a shorter range gun, but like I said, I'm not too familiar with this caliber.

I also came across an Interarms action with a 375 H&H barrel with a muzzle brake, as well, but I guess that is for another webite.View attachment 16751 View attachment 16752 View attachment 16753 View attachment 16754 View attachment 16755
Appears to be a straight up L579 with someone’s muzzle brake. Sort of unfortunate but not much you can do at this point. Also appears to have Leupold ringmounts.

Original stocks show up occasionally on eBay, you have to check frequently. Otherwise McMillan or Boyd’s would be aftermarket choices. McMillan is pretty expensive but very high quality, the wait is about six months. Boyd’s are inexpensive and I hear turn around time is quick. I don’t own a Boyd’s so I cannot comment any further. Have owned McMillan, top shelf if you can’t find an original and are willing to wait.

.308 has been around since 1952. Very versatile short round. Perfect for short to medium range, and longer ranges based on configuration, optics and loading. NATO round in 7.62x51, not 100% identical but safe in.308 marked rifles according to saami. Military and Law enforcement has used it in urban tactical platforms for years and years. It’s available in nearly every action type.

Ammo is plentiful and reasonable. Most folks hunt with 150-165-180 grain loads, but lighter and heavier stuff is available too. Most all big game to 500-600lbs can be harvested humanly. Obviously deer is no issue. Some will hunt larger but some will argue elk sized game would be max. This is debatable as the scenarios regarding hunting and calibers are debated all the time.

Scopes choices for closer ranges another highly debated subject. 1.5-5 Leupold VX III is a great choice as is a 2-7 Leupold VXII. There are so many excellent options out there. I’d research and handle several before making a scope choice. Best of Luck

Last edited:
Yes, that muzzle brake is not going to do you any favors as for collector value. It does look like it was very professionally done. Not like the newer guns with threaded barrels and someone just screws a hammer head on it. Brakes do add a lot of noise for the shooter but a good brake will control muzzle rise so you can see your shots better. Recoil on the 308 is not that bad unless you are shooting heavy bullets all day long. That 308 is a fine caliber. With the right bullet it will handle pigs, black bear, any deer and elk up to a certain yardage. I've got two Sako 308's and the 72 with the heavier barrel is a bug hole gun with 168 grain bullets. I'd grab a Boyds stock, get it bedded and shoot it. All the stocks I have seen on flee bay are too over priced for what they look like.

Thanks for the advice! I have found several new Leupold scopes to choose from. Hopefully I can get it put together over the next few weeks.

Military successfully engaged targets to 800 m with 308. For years it was THE round, then the powers that be decided we need to carry more ammo and shoot varmint rounds.

308 will do anything you are capable of doing, although you do limit yourself to 165 gr and less. I shoot 130s in mine.

MOST of the hype between 308, '06, and 300 mags is just that - hype, Little faster, lots more powder, not as effective with heavy bullets and now all the rage is heavy bullets, higher BCs and 1000 yd MINIMUM shooting distance. It's all hype; shoot the 308, get to know it, shoot it alot, then save a bunch of $$ for the taxidermist and bush planes, PLUS: you can get an AR-10 and only have to stock for a 308....

As for stocks, with what you've inherited - get a Mcmillian, the Brake already takes value, put it in a McMillian, put a leupold 3-9, and think of your father in law while you are enjoying hitting things out there with it.

This is nice to hear. I found notes from my uncle he left in some boxes of actions. Apparently he left some Sako and Interarms stocks with his builder. I am trying to find out if he is still around, and if he still has them. I prefer shooting 160 grains and less. I found some of his ammo boxes the other night. Two completely full of 223's and a a couple of others full of 308's. I didn't pay any attention to grain sizes.

As far as distance, I hunt mostly in the woods or over small food plots. I usually shoot deer at 20 to 80 yards, occasionally out to 200. I do not have the confidence to shoot much farther than that as I don't have time to practice longer shooting.

The brake doesn't really bother me all that much. I've been looking for a Sako barrel to pair with one of the medium actions I have, so I'm happy to have come across something I was already looking for.

This is nice to hear. I found notes from my uncle he left in some boxes of actions. Apparently he left some Sako and Interarms stocks with his builder. I am trying to find out if he is still around, and if he still has them. I prefer shooting 160 grains and less. I found some of his ammo boxes the other night. Two completely full of 223's and a a couple of others full of 308's. I didn't pay any attention to grain sizes.

As far as distance, I hunt mostly in the woods or over small food plots. I usually shoot deer at 20 to 80 yards, occasionally out to 200. I do not have the confidence to shoot much farther than that as I don't have time to practice longer shooting.

The brake doesn't really bother me all that much. I've been looking for a Sako barrel to pair with one of the medium actions I have, so I'm happy to have come across something I was already looking for.
When completed you will have a nice package perfect for your intentions.

What a find! One option would be to have a smith cut off the brake and get the barrel back to about 22".
Cut and recrowning is not expensive. The rifle would be handier in the woods and a tree stand, and a whole lot nicer to shoot.

What a find! One option would be to have a smith cut off the brake and get the barrel back to about 22".
Cut and recrowning is not expensive. The rifle would be handier in the woods and a tree stand, and a whole lot nicer to shoot.
Thanks for the advice. I was supposed to go to meet with a gun builder to see if he had the original stock for it, but got caught up with other stuff. I guess I forgot about it. So thanks for the reminder.

It looks like the brake is screwed on - if you don't like it perhaps unscrew it and have a cap machined and blued to screw on the end of the barrel and hide/protect the thread.

Marcus

Latest posts

Back