• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions 218 Bee on GI Sold this AM is it real?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Legit. Looks like the bolt has been jeweled and sling studs installed. Rifle looked to be in decent shape, what was the asking price ?

DeerGoose

I saw this 218 Bee this AM due to an alert I received from GI. Question is, is the darn thing genuine?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...8-bee-rare-.cfm?gun_id=101273731&watch_list=1

Check out the roll stamp (if you can call it that) for the caliber and I don't see Bofors on the right side of the barrel.

rick
I have seen photos of 4 roll stamped like this and one rifle in my hands like this A fellow member from down under bought one like this IIRC correctly and posted some photos . Seems to be April 1950 approx build/ ship, did they stamp Bofors on barrel during that period? I do have anything that old to check for myself.

It left the factory as a .218 Bee. It appears the only modifications are those mentioned by Deergoose. Sure wish I knew what the selling price was.

Actions with serial numbers below the 7000's are often equipped with the LH wing safety. But there are obviously exceptions like this one, which was born in January of 1950.

Hi Everyone

Many Thanks for the input. I got suspicious when I looked at the chamber ID on the side of the barrel. It appears that the 218 was hand struck as the "8" is out of place and overstruck at least once. Also, I have seen 218 Bee rifles with caliber marking just like this one but they were crisp and professionally done which is characteristic of Sako quality. Finally, I was expecting to see a Bofors mark on the right side of the barrel but nada on that score.

I don't often check the sale price on GI, but of the 10 or so times I've checked, the sale price has always been listed. Does not listing the price raise any flags, or is that an option the buyer or seller can request?

I don't often check the sale price on GI, but of the 10 or so times I've checked, the sale price has always been listed. Does not listing the price raise any flags, or is that an option the buyer or seller can request?
Once sold, seller edits listing as sold and price is replaced with “sold”

Hi Everyone

Many Thanks for the input. I got suspicious when I looked at the chamber ID on the side of the barrel. It appears that the 218 was hand struck as the "8" is out of place and overstruck at least once. Also, I have seen 218 Bee rifles with caliber marking just like this one but they were crisp and professionally done which is characteristic of Sako quality. Finally, I was expecting to see a Bofors mark on the right side of the barrel but nada on that score.
The rifles from the late 40's & even into the early 50's didn't show the "quality" you are associating with the later rifles. In fact, they were rather crudely built, from a cosmetic standpoint, compared to other rifles of the same period. Inconsistent & misaligned stamping, mixing different features like safety types, sights, etc within the same time frame, crudely finished birch stocks (brushed on finish), crudely stamped & finished metal parts & poor or even non-existent checkering are just a few examples. Only through the urging of Firearms International & the lure of the American market did Sako improve to what we admire today. I recently refinished a 7x33 Sako Mannlincher stock from the 50's that had 18 LPI checkering on the pistol grip area & 20 LPI checkering on the forearm. Makes me wonder where "quality control" was that day!

In fact, they were rather crudely built, from a cosmetic standpoint, compared to other rifles of the same period.
Right. They improved the cosmetics to meet the demands of FI and the American market. However, the Sako shop always produced high quality, well-fitted actions and barrels made of the best steels, even when they paid minimal attention to the appearance of their rifles. We have to remember that they sprang from a military refurbishment shop, so it took a while to move away from the minimalist look of the military rifles they were accustomed to working with.

Also, Finland at the time was recovering from a devastating war with Russia. Everything was in short supply, including skilled craftsmanship. Finland was not the shining, high-tech industrial powerhouse it is today. In the late 1940's, Sako was still selling sporterized m/39 military rifles for the domestic market (in addition to the L46). Those rifles were extremely accurate and reliable, but not necessarily pretty. Sako sporting rifles became a semi-luxury product in the 1950's when management decided to go for the American market.

Hello Paul,

My L46 - 6,3 X 33 R which came out of production 1st October 1949 is not crude at all. If you look at the photo's of my 6, 3 X 33R on the SCC you will see that my rifle's serial numbers, Sako name, Town and calibre markings are all neat, tidy and alligned. There are NO crudley stamped metal parts, and although only chequered on the pistol - grip with birch stock there is nothing crude about this particular rifle. I think during the late 40's & early 50's the U.S.A. demanded from Sako chequered walnut stocks, which I think should of remained Artic Birch. Trust the Yanks to spoil things - some things should just be left alone.

Blackjack { England Gt. Britain }

I think during the late 40's & early 50's the U.S.A. demanded from Sako chequered walnut stocks, which I think should of remained Artic Birch. Trust the Yanks to spoil things - some things should just be left alone.
That's a question of taste - and I'd say you are in the minority. Arctic birch is a good stock wood; I have many Finnish military rifles with such stocks and some of them are quite attractive. For that matter, my dining room set is custom made from solid birch and it's beautiful. However, for rifle stocks, most of us prefer walnut, especially if it has visible grain or figuring. Birch is slightly harder; density is about the same. As for "Leave it to the Yanks to spoil things," I can only respond with two words: English food.

Well, I think their fish and chips are okay.

I don't think there's any question that walnut makes a generally more attractive stock wood than birch. And that Sako's attention to cosmetic detail was lacking in the early days. However, if I were going to build reproductions of vintage Sakos I'd certainly make them like the late 1940's "pre-Firearms International" models with flamed birch, barrel bands, and ladder sights. There is something "earthy" and fundamental about those early L46's that transcends the beauty of fine walnut and deeply polished bluing.

Back