• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Brand New Sako L61R Deluxe 7mm RM with Hang Tag and Original box

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

No disrespect intended but one sentence followed by a question is simply way to vague to even begin to stab at what your asking.

Most here don’t attempt to value a rifle, let alone one with zero information, i.e. model, serial number etc. Some may ball park a rifle as a courtesy, but several photos and more concrete info is needed. Other wise they’d be shootin from the hip. The hang tag and box are nice to have in your possession.

Look online at auction sites for similar rifles to guide you. And, post photos and info here to get an opinion on potential value. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have updated the question, thanks again, Paul
What engraving pattern does it have? Is it a Bofors barrel? Does it have sights? What condition is the recoil pad, crushed, crumbled? Does it have an importer's stamp? There are many things that go into "value". Like new condition, box & hang tag will bring a small premium, but the 7 RM is a very common caliber. What you get will vary from buyer to buyer, location, time of year, & how the planets & stars are aligned on that particular day. There is no "set" value. I saw a mint Deluxe go at an auction a few months ago in 25-06 (a much more sought after caliber) for $1100, then witnessed a plain jane standard sporter go for $950 10 minutes later. Go figure!! Doing a little research on the gun auction/sale sites will probably be a better determinate than asking the internet with no information other than a serial number, which tells any potential buyer very little. Better yet, put it up for auction & you will find out what it's market value is on that day. Your best bet is to find a collector that is into NIB Deluxes & negotiate, but that's a pretty small market, especially since most of them probably already have a 7 RM.

Thank you Sean, I didn't realize that I left that information out...
No worries, just felt you should be aware of the wide range your question left members to ponder.

Paulson above has pointed out several variables and factors which will affect value. 7MM Rem Mag is common but an L-61R NIB Deluxe with box and hang tag, is still a rifle newer collectors might not have, as all NIB Deluxe rifles are drying up.

All the items Paulson points to are valid regarding Sako. Wood quality is highly important as well. Collectors or hunters will be attracted to great wood. Someone may wish one just as a really nice hunting rifle. It’s that first impression thing. This is regarding potential premium regarding price. Some Deluxe Rifles were pretty plain. While some have figure and wonderful grain. In my opinion nice wood can add as much as a $200.00 premium.

Obviously, it would be in your best interest to do some further reading and research. Time of year and geographic location are important. The summer is a great time to consider selling as big game seasons are around the corner. I live in the west so 7MM is a great versatile round favored by many. It might not play as well in the northeast. Things to consider....

A rifle in my area in the condition you’ve described might range from 1150. -1300. plus or minus. Please remember, this is ballpark for my region. As Paulson has also indicated value will be the actual price someone is willing to pay. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would say that one would be hard pressed to find a Pre 72 Deluxe in in collector quality, mint condition in the range of $1150 to $1300.

One just sold for $2000 on GB that was in mint condition. I find this to be on the high side for 7 mag, which is a common Sako caliber, but yet I am not surprised.

If it would of sold for $1150 I would of said that someone got a hell of a buy.

I would say that one would be hard pressed to find a Pre 72 Deluxe in in collector quality, mint condition in the range of $1150 to $1300.

One just sold for $2000 on GB that was in mint condition. I find this to be on the high side for 7 mag, which is a common Sako caliber, but yet I am not surprised.

If it would of sold for $1150 I would of said that someone got a hell of a buy.
$1150-$1300 is a ballpark for my region, plus or minus, based on variables which are still unknown. Two grand is for sure on the high side but obviously someone paid it.

At two grand a fairy common Sako Deluxe would stagnate forever here, but again, as you’ve stated someone was willing to seriously overpay on an auction site. Probably a competition between two or three folks, with a competitive attitude. More power to them.

My region is more conservative regarding Sako unless you’re in the Cabela’s Gun Library. For instance, I recently bought this rifle NIB for $1000.00. It sat for two months before I found it. This shows how fickle the market can be.

Take care Rocky.

Attachments

• 58E9F8F4-C6DC-4EC1-A9ED-9BB7AD070E56.jpeg
    58E9F8F4-C6DC-4EC1-A9ED-9BB7AD070E56.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 42
  • E338B70C-50DE-41DB-989B-B39C423E5E3D.jpeg
    E338B70C-50DE-41DB-989B-B39C423E5E3D.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 38
I think the last two posts are a perfect example of why it is so difficult to answer the question, "What's my rifle worth"? Both opinions are valid & based on personal knowledge & insight, but which one translates to any other particular rifle is anybody's guess. Some people, usually the unknowledgeable or uniformed or where money is not an issue, pay way over what the market commands for things they want & other people find bargains in the most unexpected places. Both establish a "value" for that item, that day, between that seller & that buyer. To say either is what the rifle is worth is a matter of perception. To the guy that paid $2000 for the 7 mag Deluxe there must have been something about it that he just couldn't live without, possibly an engraving pattern he was missing to complete his "set" or as P.T. Barnum said,"there's one born every minute". I stopped buying these older Sakos several years ago, unless I could get them at a super bargain price, as I feel this market will crash soon, like the old Winchesters, Brownngs, etc have. Remember when any old Model 12 would bring $800 to $1000. I see them sitting in gun racks now for $250 & no one is buying them. Look at the average age of our club members. Most are approaching or well over 60. The younger crowd is about black plastic & semi-autos. Blued steel & wood stocked bolt actions languish on the shelves. Many stores don't even stock them anymore. Our market is shrinking. The rifles we "collect", currently, hardly keep up with inflation. What the future will bring is uncertain, but only the very rarest, & pristine Sakos will retain any market attention, IMHO.

I think the last two posts are a perfect example of why it is so difficult to answer the question, "What's my rifle worth"? Both opinions are valid & based on personal knowledge & insight, but which one translates to any other particular rifle is anybody's guess. Some people, usually the unknowledgeable or uniformed or where money is not an issue, pay way over what the market commands for things they want & other people find bargains in the most unexpected places. Both establish a "value" for that item, that day, between that seller & that buyer. To say either is what the rifle is worth is a matter of perception. To the guy that paid $2000 for the 7 mag Deluxe there must have been something about it that he just couldn't live without, possibly an engraving pattern he was missing to complete his "set" or as P.T. Barnum said,"there's one born every minute". I stopped buying these older Sakos several years ago, unless I could get them at a super bargain price, as I feel this market will crash soon, like the old Winchesters, Brownngs, etc have. Remember when any old Model 12 would bring $800 to $1000. I see them sitting in gun racks now for $250 & no one is buying them. Look at the average age of our club members. Most are approaching or well over 60. The younger crowd is about black plastic & semi-autos. Blued steel & wood stocked bolt actions languish on the shelves. Many stores don't even stock them anymore. Our market is shrinking. The rifles we "collect", currently, hardly keep up with inflation. What the future will bring is uncertain, but only the very rarest, & pristine Sakos will retain any market attention, IMHO.
Agree completely with your overall assessment.

Probably should consider not even going down the ballpark road as it really doesn’t translate to reality - one way or another. I think we all make an attempt to be helpful based on our experiences with firearms collection as a whole.

You used the Model 12 analogy, to further your overall point - my wife bought a Model 12 20 gauge for $400 a couple of years ago. It is 90 % plus - crisp and clean with a 26” tube and is choked IC. It has a period Simmons rib which is fine, proof mark is rolled. It’s her chucker/ grouse gun. I remember when this shotgun would have easily brought 1000-1200 all day long.

I was just giving the bigdogfla the information that he was asking for. What the value of a collector quality, pre 72, 7 mag. Deluxe is worth.

Sean your rifle is a new model Sako and its not a Deluxe. Your not comparing apples to apples. The older, Pre 72's Deluxe's bring more money. The Bofors one's will bring even more.

And Paulson, your probably correct about the collecting of the next generation. But lets hope there are a few rifle collectors in this next generation that want to put a true collectable
rifle collection together. Not many of the Black rifle would be fill this bill, besides the HK's.

I was just giving the bigdogfla the information that he was asking for. What the value of a collector quality, pre 72, 7 mag. Deluxe is worth.

Sean your rifle is a new model Sako and its not a Deluxe. Your not comparing apples to apples. The older, Pre 72's Deluxe's bring more money. The Bofors one's will bring even more.

And Paulson, your probably correct about the collecting of the next generation. But lets hope there are a few rifle collectors in this next generation that want to put a true collectable
rifle collection together. Not many of the Black rifle would be fill this bill, besides the HK's.
Nearly all things that are "collectable" fall in & out of favor. Pottery, swords, furniture, paintings, etc. have all suffered the vagaries of the market place. The current trends suggest this could be the fate of our beloved Sakos. Many times an items popularity, which in turn dictates it's value, returns after skipping a generation. In that case, it may be prudent to leave things to your grandchildren. Just food for thought.

Rocky,

You are obviously correct my rifle is an AV GO rifle. My comparison was merely to point out how a Sako here in my region could be undervalued.

In my opinion my rifle was a bargain. I’ve seen these sell for $1400-$1500 in the past. Remember it sat for two months, so no one who handled it felt the value was there until I showed up.

The last NIB L-61R Deluxe in 7MM I saw here locally sold for $1250. Obviously this might seem low, but it’s what the market typically bears here.

I’m going to take Paulson’ advice - even if you add qualifiers - ball parking is just a bad idea, even if you mean well.

I gotta weigh in on this one.....EVERYONE IS RIGHT !! I follow the gun market quite a bit, especially those guns that I collect which are mainly Sakos, Colt pistols, S&W revolvers, and Belgian Brownings. With regards to our beloved Sakos, just when I think the prices have stabilized, something weird will happen and a run of mill .243 sporter will sell for $900+. This is the most commonly found Sako out there, along with sporters in L46 .222 and a 30.06 Finnbear.
The last NIB L-61R Deluxe in 7MM I saw here locally sold for $1250.
….which is about what I paid for mine, almost 20 years ago !!! (but mine has got nice wood on it).

From time to time, I'll sell my duplicates on GB. The last batch I sold (as I recall) was a .30-06 deluxe NIB, a .243 sporter, .22-250 sporter and a .30-06 sporter. The -250 was a model 74 super sporter with L579 action and went the cheapest ! (really clean rifle and sold for what I had in it...about $700 or so). The deluxe went for $1650 or so, and both the .243 and .30-06 went for over $800 (both had cheap scopes and ring setups).

What would I pay for a NIB 7mm deluxe from the early '70s? about $1200-$1400, maybe more if it had knockout wood.

my $.02 worth.
DeerGoose

I hope you don't feel that I'm picking on you, but I really don't think there is a worse caliber to sell than the 7mm Mag. It isn't the worst by a little, but almost in a league of it's own for trying to sell...

I gotta weigh in on this one.....EVERYONE IS RIGHT !! I follow the gun market quite a bit, especially those guns that I collect which are mainly Sakos, Colt pistols, S&W revolvers, and Belgian Brownings. With regards to our beloved Sakos, just when I think the prices have stabilized, something weird will happen and a run of mill .243 sporter will sell for $900+. This is the most commonly found Sako out there, along with sporters in L46 .222 and a 30.06 Finnbear.

….which is about what I paid for mine, almost 20 years ago !!! (but mine has got nice wood on it).

From time to time, I'll sell my duplicates on GB. The last batch I sold (as I recall) was a .30-06 deluxe NIB, a .243 sporter, .22-250 sporter and a .30-06 sporter. The -250 was a model 74 super sporter with L579 action and went the cheapest ! (really clean rifle and sold for what I had in it...about $700 or so). The deluxe went for $1650 or so, and both the .243 and .30-06 went for over $800 (both had cheap scopes and ring setups).

What would I pay for a NIB 7mm deluxe from the early '70s? about $1200-$1400, maybe more if it had knockout wood.

my $.02 worth.
DeerGoose
I agree DeerGoose, and thanks.

Everyone is right. Many viable variables -leading to different prospectives - from different regions of the country. This was good respectful insight from all.

Sean

Thanks everyone, this is great information for me... I will try to post photos and verify the barrel...

All the Best,

Paul

Back