• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Taking The Newest Members Of The Safe For A Gopher Shoot

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I don't know where you were in Africa but I used to live in Kenya and the local beer was excellent. My favorite was Tusker...

I was in northern Nigeria for more than a month once. The group I was with and towns we were in were not the setting to explore beer options. If beer was available there I have no idea.

We stopped in Amsterdam for a day on the way back to the US and the few who were not teetotalers enjoyed that Heineken thoroughly. It didn’t taste skunked over there like the US bottles always do.

David

I was in northern Nigeria for more than a month once. The group I was with and towns we were in were not the setting to explore beer options. If beer was available there I have no idea.

We stopped in Amsterdam for a day on the way back to the US and the few who were not teetotalers enjoyed that Heineken thoroughly. It didn’t taste skunked over there like the US bottles always do.

David
A month in northern Nigeria would definitely make one thirsty for a beer. For the benefit of those not familiar with Africa, the northern part of Nigeria is mainly Muslim. While it might be possible to find beer there brought up from the Christian south, I doubt it would be fresh, cold, or of high quality. And the less said of native African brewed beverages ("pombe" in Swahili), the better.

The West German Zeiss Diavari has to be one of the best scopes ever made.

kirkbridgershooters,

Well you've convinced that the alpha glass scopes are what I want on my rifles <sigh>.
I've been looking at the Leupold VX-5HD and VX-6HD scopes pretty seriously so I went to Sportsmens last week and looked through those scopes and a Swarovski, the latter looked much clearer and crisper to my eye.

From your posts I see you like Zeiss Diavari and Swarovski are they any others? I know the Zeiss scopes have decreased in their workmanship over the years. Has Swaro and other makers done the same?

Of the alpha scopes you've used which would you consider to be the best value? Which would be your favorite?

Right now I'm looking for a not to long (less than 13 inches) not to heavy (less than 16 oz) in the 2-12x50mm range. Also not interested in scope dialing. I don't think the pro's of dialing outweigh the con's of the big ugly turrets.

I'd much rather have a load that is fast enough to put the point blank range out about as far as I'm likely to be shooting and then hold on the top of their head if they are past that.

Oh and, what do you think of first focal plane scopes? I've never use anythign but second focal plane scopes over the years but the FFP scopes look pretty interesting. Mostly for the increased detail of the recital as you increase in power (easier for the not 19 anymore eyes).

Thanks for your help.
ChrisA

I prefer the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 over everything else. I have copied the stats for that scope and though it falls outside your parameters for size, it is truly the best all around scope in my opinion.

The Diavari isn’t the price point scope the Conquest series is. The Diavaris that I use are also 30 years old and they don’t make them anymore.

Zeiss makes too big a scope for my liking with 50-56mm objectives and 30mm tubes. FFP scopes don’t interest me in the least as the crosshair gets to big and I don’t like European style crosshairs.

Product Information
  • Get outstanding optical performance and precision for long shots with the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 P scope. The magnification range of 3.5-18x in this Swarovski 1-inch scope provides you with detailed images of your target. The diamond-bright optic of this Swarovski rifle scope gives you clear and bright view even in low light. The parallax correction of 55 yards to infinity in this Swarovski 1-inch scope efficiently eliminates unwanted optical error so that you get a sharp view of long distant objects. The Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 P scope has 5.8-1.17 degrees field of view that provides perfect vision to aim accurately. This Swarovski rifle scope has a 1-inch tube diameter that makes it tough and rugged.
Product Identifiers
  • Brand
    Swarovski
  • MPN
  • UPC
  • Model
    Z5 3.5-18x44mm P L
  • eBay Product ID (ePID)
Product Key Features
  • Type
    Rifle Scope
  • Reticle
    Plex
Dimensions
  • Weight
    15.9oz.
  • Length
    14.29 in
Additional Product Features
  • Eye Relief
    3.5 in
  • Minimum Field of View AT 100yd.
    6ft.
  • Effective Objective Diameter
    44mm
  • Series
    Z5
  • Rifle Exit Pupil
    10/24mm
  • Lens Diameter
    44mm
  • Additional Features
    Waterproof
  • Maximum Field of View AT 100yd.
    30ft.
  • Magnification
    3.5-18x

The Diavaris that I use are also 30 years old and they don’t make them anymore.

Kirk,

I see some of those West German Diavaris's on eBay. If you were in the market for a good used Diavaris what price range would it have to be in before you'd consider buying it?

Any other good sources you know of besides eBay and Gunbroker?

Thanks
ChrisA

I keep looking all the time and don’t have a source. eBay has some, but they aren’t West German. I stick with the West German scopes and they will usually run about $500.00-$600.00

Here is a line on a Swarovski 3-9 with a TDS reticle. These are comparable to Zeiss Diavari...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...395/re-swarovski-scopes-for-sale#Post13821395

Oh man! I just bought a Swarovski Habicht 3-9x36A two weeks ago and, from the prices/conditions on that post, over paid $200 :(.

So any Swarovski scope will be good quality glass, right? Some of those Swaro's are pretty pricey but the Z5 3.5-18X44 and the Z3 4-12x50 look real nice.

Also thanks for pointing me at that 24hourcampfire classifieds forum. I've seen classified pages on a few forums but I can't believe how active that forum is. I'll keep monitoring those ads until a Z5 3.5-18X44 shows up. If you know of other forum classifieds that have a lot of postings let me know.

Thanks again Kirk!

ChrisA

Hi Gents!
Beer & reloading generally do not mix, but this thread is too good. As for reloading, you can try different powders & loads and it is gratifiing to find one you & your rifle like & shoot well. As for the beer part, my oldest son, some of our friends and I would go to our farm's shooting range in the hot GA summer. Take only one LARGE FOSTERS BEER on ice. Then set up a target ( water bottle) at an undisclosed distance & shoot one shot offhand. The first one to hit the bottle,wins the Fosters & the others must watch him drink it all. Shooting over for that chap!!! for the rest of the outing. Great fun
good friends and fun shooting.
Yes I have lived during the best times in the U.S.A.

Back