• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Lots of older .243 Sako rifles available. Why?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Jaywalker

I'm hung up on availability of spare parts, so I'm dithering between getting a newer 85 (so that I can buy spares easily) or buy another L579 (so that I can have the spare parts in the form of a spare rifle). But that's not the question and I'll resolve that in time.

The question is, why are there so many L579 .243 rifles for sale right now and so few .308? Are the 308 owners keeping theirs and the 243 owners dumping theirs for the 6.5 Creedmoor? Maybe they've burned out their barrels? Other?

Simple math. There were a ton of L579s made in 243, while the 308 was less so. Not sure what the ratio is, but 308 owners tend to hang on to theirs because they are harder to replace, which probably makes it seem like there are even less. One can buy a 243 L579 about anytime you want to. Parts thing is overblown. Of all the Sakos I've owned & shot over the years, I have yet to have a single part break. Part failure in any well made production rifle is an extremely rare event, so why deprive yourself of owning a nice rifle from worrying about it. Parts can be found or made or other remedies used regardless.

Agree with Paulson 100%.

If you buy a Model 85, by the time you might need a part for it they won't be available, either.

There were probably between two and three L579's in .243 for every .308, which is why they are more often seen on the market.

In over a half-century of owning and shooting Sakos the only part I've ever needed (other than cosmetics like sight hoods and recoil pads) was a broken extractor which was sold to me without mention by the seller. But the ones from the Remington 700 "Sako conversion" kits fit and work just fine, so that was no problem.

It is true that people are always looking for original sight hoods, sight blades, ring screws, recoil pads, and sling swivels, but none of those are essential to the function of the rifle and substitutes can be found.

Every now and then you find someone hopelessly trying to resurrect a Sako receiver from which major parts are missing. That is about like trying to build a truck from a Ford F-150 chassis by ordering the rest of it from the parts department -- it will be a virtually impossible task and would cost you ten times what a whole truck would cost.

Good to know. I was unaware that more 243 than 308 had been build and sold. With the US love for 30 caliber, I assumed it was the opposite.

Back