• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello to all!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

four4bman

I have an Browning Sako in 308 Win circa 1969. I hope those are allowed here. If not, please tell me.

Last edited:
Welcome Four4. Your Sako action Browning is certainly welcome here. We even have a section titled Other Firearms Built on Sako Actions where you might be surprised by the number of members interested in the numerous other rifles made on Sako actions. Post a few pictures of your 308 and tell us a little about it.

Welcome four4bman.

I've always thought Browning made high quality firearms but until I joined this forum I didn't know they had used Sako actions on some of their rifles.

ChrisA

Welcome four4bman.

I've always thought Browning made high quality firearms but until I joined this forum I didn't know they had used Sako actions on some of their rifles.

ChrisA

Browning never had a manufacturing plant & never made anything. They subcontracted the manufacturing of ALL of the firearms they ever marketed. The Browning rifles made with the Sako actions were built by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. The current Browning firearms are made in Japan by Miroku, which also makes the Winchester 1886 & High Wall rifles. The Winchesters are imported by BACO, which is the Browning Arms Company. Brand names are just marketing tools anymore & the manufacturing of firearms is becoming more consolidated into fewer & fewer hands.

Last edited:
Browning never had a manufacturing plant & never made anything. They subcontracted the manufacturing …..

Being interested in the early Winchesters, Marlins, Colts and others, I'd like to mention that Browning did, between 1878 and about 1880, design, manufacture and sell approximately 600 single shot rifles. But like Paulson said, Browning certainly did not have a manufacturing plant as we think of them. John M. Browning and two of his brothers (Ed and Matthew) had a hardware store in Utah and they built the 600 rifles in their backroom shop using mostly hand tools they designed and made. They were doing business under the name of Browning Brothers. They stopped production of their single shot in the very early 1880's, and John Browning begin in earnest completing his design of the 1886 lever action tubular magazine centerfire. In 1883 Browning sold the rights to manufacture and sell these early rifles to Winchester thus starting a long lasting relationship with Winchester.

Welcome Four4. Your Sako action Browning is certainly welcome here. We even have a section titled Other Firearms Built on Sako Actions where you might be surprised by the number of members interested in the numerous other rifles made on Sako actions. Post a few pictures of your 308 and tell us a little about it.

Thanks, douglastwo. Nice to know of a loyal following of the Browning Sako.

Welcome four4bman.

ChrisA

They do for production guns. I've been quite happy with my small collection of Browning arms. Their custom shop is hard to beat.

Browning never had a manufacturing plant & never made anything. . . . .Brand names are just marketing tools anymore & the manufacturing of firearms is becoming more consolidated into fewer & fewer hands.
The same is true of famous brands like Weatherby and Charles Daly. Even manufacturers like Remington often market guns made by others, like the Remington 798 and 799, made by Zastava. And as far as I know, "Winchester" hasn't had an actual firearms manufacturing facility for many years. Proprietary guns built by contractors have been sold under the name of large retailers like Sears (or their brand J.C. Higgins), Wards, and others for many years.

But it is certainly true that the Browning brand on a firearm has always indicated a piece that was toward the upper end of quality and price among mass manufactured firearms.

Back