• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Ammunition Sako 6mm PPC USA

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

colt45sa

The dimensions on Sako brand 6mm PPC USA cartridges are slightly different from the Norma 6MM PPC cartridges. So far I've only reloaded and shot the Sako USA's. Is there anything that I have to do to the Normas besides full length sizing before I load them for firing??

The Sako 6mm PPC USA chamber has a neck dimensioned for brass which is of conventional thickness, not the "tight neck" found on many benchrest chambers. Sako brass has a neck of appropriate thickness for the Sako chamber. I'm not aware whether Norma 6mm PPC brass is made with a "pre-thinned" neck wall or if it is of conventional thickness. The head/body dimensions of either should be the same. Presumably, whether the Norma neck walls are thinner or not, the inside neck diameter should be the same as Sako brass once it is reduced by the sizing die then expanded to spec interior diameter by the expander ball.

The Sako 6mm PPC USA chamber has a neck dimensioned for brass which is of conventional thickness, not the "tight neck" found on many benchrest chambers. Sako brass has a neck of appropriate thickness for the Sako chamber. I'm not aware whether Norma 6mm PPC brass is made with a "pre-thinned" neck wall or if it is of conventional thickness. The head/body dimensions of either should be the same. Presumably, whether the Norma neck walls are thinner or not, the inside neck diameter should be the same as Sako brass once it is reduced by the sizing die then expanded to spec interior diameter by the expander ball.
Thank you~!

I wasn't aware that the dimensional difference was only in the neck. Since custom 6mm PPC rifles are built with varying neck diameters making neck turning a requirement, I would expect the Norma brass to have an exterior neck diameter as thick or very nearly as thick as the Sako so the shooter of the custom rifle could turn it to his needed .265, .264, or .262. Naturally the inside diameter will be the same because the bullet is a 6mm as you stated.
I have a 'one-hole all day every day' rifle with a .262 neck, and there-in lies the problem. I message all my brass ( .223 and .308 ) by weight, length, flash hole uniformity, but I don't neck turn, and I don't want to get turning down neck of my brass. Ergo, I bought the Sako~!

I can find anecdotal mention of differing brass between the "6mm PPC" and the "6mm PPC USA", but none of it seems based on dependable references. Mostly it seems to stem from people attempting to use Sako brass in non-standard custom chambers; or perhaps attempting to use once-fired brass from another rifle without having a proper FL resizing die. Even though some "gossipers" claim that Sako brass is somehow "larger in the base", all PPC brass is based on the 7.62x39 or .220 Russian cartridge, and all of the references show all of the bases as .443" to .445", well within the margin for conversion from the original metric dimensions.

I don't have any Norma brass to measure, but I just put the caliper on some unfired Sako brass and it measures .444 at the rim and about .4405 on the body just in front of the extractor cut. I also measured some Federal 7.62x39 and some Lapua 7.62x39 and both were virtually identical to the Sako brass at .444/.441".

Here is what Chuckhawk's article on the 6mm PPC USA had to say: Norma of Sweden and Sako of Finland supply 6mm PPC brass for handloaders, and Sako chambers rifles for the cartridge. The letters "USA" were added to the designation "6mm PPC" at the request of Louis Palmisano when Sako standardized the cartridge in 1985.

By the way, if a cartridge chambers without resistance, then its neck is not too thick for the chamber. Many people think that if a bullet will not insert easily into the neck of a fired case then the neck is too thick. Not necessarily. All brass has springback. The neck springs back after firing a little, so if clearance is adequate but minimal, the springback may reduce the inside diameter of the case neck to a tad less than the diameter of a bullet. So, unless you feel detectable resistance to the bolt closing, the necks are okay. Of course, really tight benchrest chambers simply won't allow you to chamber a cartridge without a properly turned neck -- and if you forced it you would experience elevated pressures due to the extra resistance to dislodging the bullet from the case neck when the round is fired.

For those who own and shoot a Sako in 6mm PPC and are intent upon shooting as best as the rifle possibly can, please tell me what load you have found the most accurate. Give me the cartridge brand, primer brand, powder brand and weight of charge, bullet brand and weight.
I just bought one to replace the Vixen Hunter I foolishly sold some back. This one may like a different diet that the last one. This is what I was able to accomplish with the one I sold,
img003.jpg

Howdy,

Does anyone know what the OEM factory 6mm PPC USA 70 gr bthp sierras were loaded with? I pulled one, 22.5- 22.6 grains of short kernels extruded powder. VV120? VV130?

Thanks.

Howdy,

Does anyone know what the OEM factory 6mm PPC USA 70 gr bthp sierras were loaded with? I pulled one, 22.5- 22.6 grains of short kernels extruded powder. VV120? VV130?

Thanks.
If I had to guess at the powder and it is indeed VihtaVuori powder, I sure it would be VV133. That's what the benchrest crowd is using.

Last edited:
Anyone want to share their process for making 6mm PPC USA out of Lapua 220 brass? I just ordered some of the Lapua because I can't find any of the SAKO brass anywhere, and I just picked up my first Sako in this caliber, and I want to get out and shoot it.

Back