• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Holy Grail of A-series?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796981210

Not mine, but here it is, first one I've seen.
In 1992, a guy I knew special ordered one of these. He put 8 rounds through it, said it was too loud, took off the scope, put it back in the box, and sold it to me for $700. (He also gave me the box of Sako ammo with the empty brass and 12 unfired rounds.) Complete with box and papers. It sits in my safe today, and it's much better looking than the one on Gunbroker. Maybe one day it will sell for enough to make up for all the money I've lost on rifles over the years.

I bought one in 6 PPC at an auction in 2013.

It was a large auction of a deceased gunshop owner. The handguns sold first and everybody in attendance was bat-sh*t crazy for handguns. They were also nuts for .22 Rimfire ammunition, which was in short supply at the time, and were paying 15 and 20 cents per round, even for the cheap promo stuff. Anyway, I sat through the entire auction of handguns, thinking that with the irrational bidding that was going on I would never be able to buy any of several Sakos in the auction. But when they ran out of handguns and started on the long guns everyone just sat on their hands. I was so surprised at how weak the bidding was that I bought the first rifle up, a CZ in .221 Fireball, for a song, even though I had had no intention of buying it.

When the Sakos came up I think I bought all but one, and the one I didn't buy was because I felt sorry for the only other guy who was bidding and decided to let him have it (I've since kick myself for being such a kind person because the one I let get away was a .223 Classic.) I paid $1125 net for the Deluxe 6mm PPC, and $840 for a Standard Sporter in the same caliber. I kept the standard for a shooter and a few weeks after buying it sold the Deluxe for $2650.

I'm not sure that the gunbroker rifle will bring its asking price, but the Deluxe PPC's certainly turn some heads.

I bought one in 6 PPC at an auction in 2013.
I've never even seen a .223 Classic, and you passed one up because you were being kind? That's the stuff of Sako Collector nightmares.

It was a large auction of a deceased gunshop owner. The handguns sold first and everybody in attendance was bat-sh*t crazy for handguns. They were also nuts for .22 Rimfire ammunition, which was in short supply at the time, and were paying 15 and 20 cents per round, even for the cheap promo stuff. Anyway, I sat through the entire auction of handguns, thinking that with the irrational bidding that was going on I would never be able to buy any of several Sakos in the auction. But when they ran out of handguns and started on the long guns everyone just sat on their hands. I was so surprised at how weak the bidding was that I bought the first rifle up, a CZ in .221 Fireball, for a song, even though I had had no intention of buying it.

When the Sakos came up I think I bought all but one, and the one I didn't buy was because I felt sorry for the only other guy who was bidding and decided to let him have it (I've since kick myself for being such a kind person because the one I let get away was a .223 Classic.) I paid $1125 net for the Deluxe 6mm PPC, and $840 for a Standard Sporter in the same caliber. I kept the standard for a shooter and a few weeks after buying it sold the Deluxe for $2650.

I'm not sure that the gunbroker rifle will bring its asking price, but the Deluxe PPC's certainly turn some heads.

Now I know what to look for. Is this the Sako holy grail of holy grails? I'm new to this gig.

See you at the range.

I doubt it is "holy grail" class.....but here's a pic of my early AI Deluxe in 17 Remington.

And .....yes, Stone......those are Conetrols. :)
294pfv8.jpg

A 22 PPC deluxe may be rare, but Holy Grail is still probably reserved for something really obscure. I do have a 6mm PPC deluxe and considered it rare, but I also have a 75 deluxe in 17 Remington that is probably more scarce yet. Either way they are not easy to find, but a delight to own and shoot...
View attachment 15340 View attachment 15341 View attachment 15342 View attachment 15343 View attachment 15344 View attachment 15345

Kirk,

This is a friends 17 75 deluxe. Is it the same floor plate design?
IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0410.jpg IMG_0411.jpg IMG_0412.jpg

... It sits in my safe today, and it's much better looking than the one on Gunbroker...
We need, NEED to see pix after reading this. Now as a clarifier,this is not my Holy Grail, I know we have our own individual quests. It is that I have yet to see a normal AI Hunter in 22 PPC, let alone a deluxe. As for 17's, I have a hunter w/ iron sights. It's the only one of those I've seen. Now I have seen many, many light weights and several deluxe's. The .17 rem chambering has been around through 4 model changes. I've not encountered a full stock version yet. That would be cool!

I might need to venture out and see that rifle in person. The seller has a gun shop that doesn’t sell much, but everything has a (high) price.

We need, NEED to see pix after reading this. Now as a clarifier,this is not my Holy Grail, I know we have our own individual quests. It is that I have yet to see a normal AI Hunter in 22 PPC, let alone a deluxe. As for 17's, I have a hunter w/ iron sights. It's the only one of those I've seen. Now I have seen many, many light weights and several deluxe's. The .17 rem chambering has been around through 4 model changes. I've not encountered a full stock version yet. That would be cool!

gowyo,
I am sorry to disappoint a fellow Wyomingite (I am still identified as an Oregonian on part of this site, but I escaped to sw Wyoming). I have no way to send a picture of my Deluxe 22PPC. My geezer-phone rides in my truck, and I don't even own a camera. I, too, would like to have a standard Sporter in 22PPC, but I don't buy any less-than-excellent Sakos, and the last one I saw was a beater. I do have two Sako HB 22PPC rifles. Some time ago I got a standard sporter in 6mmPPC to go along with my two HB 6mmPPC rifles (one in a custom Macmillan stock). I appreciate the pictures submitted by other members, and I am often astonished at the quality I see. I have sold as many Sakos as I now own, always looking to up-grade my collection, but as good as my collection is after 48 years, I am continually amazed by the best examples shown by the well-known members. I was Sako #224 in the original Sako club, but I am a relative new-comer to this association of very knowledgeable and serious collectors. (And my computor skills are not at all comparable.) You might be amused to hear that, at one time, I decided I would acquire examples of Sako Deluxe rifles in all the calibers in which they were made. The ancient Greeks called that hubris. I was saved from total madness by the onset of old age and fatigue.

kind of sad, right?

Sad has been the most of what has gone on with Sako not long after Stoeger started importing them. The so-called "Lightweight Hunter" when they turned the barrel down a bit and raised the palm, started to lose my interest. The Pre-Garcia rifles with the thin forearm and pistol grip have always been my favorite. The 3 early L46's I have are also extremely nice.

I do have 2 75's and they stay safe with me as I have no desire to get rid of them as they satisfy me in what they are and how well they work. Both are drop floorplates, as I am not a fan of detachable magazines. I watch continually for Sakos for sale, but nothing new interests me...

Now I know what to look for. Is this the Sako holy grail of holy grails? I'm new to this gig.
Well, each of us probably has his own Sako Holy Grail simply because tastes and desires vary among individuals. Sometimes a Sako guy finds and acquires his Holy Grail, at which point he must either adopt a new Holy Grail or stop buying Sakos. Most true addicts choose the former.

To get an idea of just how many Sako Holy Grails there might be, just look at a sample of the threads below in "Similar Threads" talking about "holy grails".

Latest posts

Back