• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Auction prices, FYI

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

paulsonconstruction

Sako-addicted
Just a FYI on what two Sakos & one Ithaca(Tikka) sold for at a local estate auction where I live last Saturday. An AIII Sporter in 7mm Rem Mag-$900, An AIII Deluxe in 270 Win- $1025, & an Ithaca LSA 65 in 25-06- $750. All three rifles were LNIB with box/papers & absolutely perfect. I couldn't find a single ding or blemish anywhere. These auction selling prices are in line with what 8 Sakos sold for last spring at the same auction house. Sporters around $800, Deluxes around $1100, in very nice condition. I see asking prices all the time that are $400-$500 more & see posts here that seem to espouse the higher values, but my real world experience in my area does not reflect that. Were these two auctions an anomaly or do any of you see the same? BTW, I didn't buy any of them, so feel free to admonish me for my stupidity. I've worn my boots out kicking myself.

Last edited:
Wow, good question Paulson. But I think it would take two hours for me to offer my bias opinion on the subject. Your question strikes a nerve and I have to comment. I too have kicked myself for passing on a lot of Sakos that I believe might have come to me had I just bid a couple hundred more in an auction. I've also refused to give a private seller a couple hundred more to teach him a good lesson, and yes I missed the chance to own it. It seems with Sakos, I fret over paying a piddling $200 more. So far my comments have been about common calibers and models, and in very good condition. Because to me condition is everything, unless it is extremely rare which is another two hour topic. And of course when we buy we want it priced like dirt, but when we sell....different story. And price a current new Sako from the dealer's rack, its more than $900. It seems quality doesn't mean much to the value of a 50 year old Sako. Bottom line to me is that I strongly believe we are our own worst enemy in holding the value of our beloved Sakos down. I'm rattling on too much. Thanks for the great question.

I'm assuming those are net prices and not before some "buyers premium" is added? If so, then my opinion is that the Standard Sporter 7mm sold at retail (it's a common caliber in a non-collectible model); the Deluxe Sporter sold about "wholesale" (again, a common caliber, but not a collectible); and the Tikka sold surprisingly high for a local auction. Of course, the appearance of the wood on any of those might make a big difference to some buyers.

Local auctions where the bidding is onsite only can be uneven. I've found that live auctions where the primary items are guns tend to bring lots of onsite buyer interest and guns at such auctions often bring more than a reasonable retail. By the same token, at auctions which contain mostly furniture, art, household goods, etc. and only a handful of guns, the guns sometimes sell below market.

However, I'll agree with you that the typical Sako listing on "Gunbroken" or "Guns Irrational" is, by definition, priced significantly above market since most of them never get a bid and are recycled week after week without a buyer. However, Sakos that have a starting price at or below market will always sell and those examples are a pretty good gauge of what the actual market is for internet sales. Buyers seem to be willing to give somewhere around a $100 premium for the same Sako if they can hold it in their hands and examine it in person instead of simply relying on photos and descriptions from a stranger.

I'm assuming those are net prices and not before some "buyers premium" is added? If so, then my opinion is that the Standard Sporter 7mm sold at retail (it's a common caliber in a non-collectible model); the Deluxe Sporter sold about "wholesale" (again, a common caliber, but not a collectible); and the Tikka sold surprisingly high for a local auction. Of course, the appearance of the wood on any of those might make a big difference to some buyers.

Local auctions where the bidding is onsite only can be uneven. I've found that live auctions where the primary items are guns tend to bring lots of onsite buyer interest and guns at such auctions often bring more than a reasonable retail. By the same token, at auctions which contain mostly furniture, art, household goods, etc. and only a handful of guns, the guns sometimes sell below market.

However, I'll agree with you that the typical Sako listing on "Gunbroken" or "Guns Irrational" is, by definition, priced significantly above market since most of them never get a bid and are recycled week after week without a buyer. However, Sakos that have a starting price at or below market will always sell and those examples are a pretty good gauge of what the actual market is for internet sales. Buyers seem to be willing to give somewhere around a $100 premium for the same Sako if they can hold it in their hands and examine it in person instead of simply relying on photos and descriptions from a stranger.
Only "premium" was for online proxibid. All of these went to onsite bidders at exactly what they bid on them. The Ithaca came with original Tikka rings & a scope & the barrel was stamped "Bofors Barrel Steel". Didn't look like the DBM had ever had a shell in it. Crazy thing is some of the more mundane Rems & Wins went for MORE money! Colt Sauer in 30-06 with finish damage on the buttstock went for $1750. Plain Jane Rem 700 HB in 6mm Rem went for $900. Go figure. There were about 300 items at the auction, mostly antiques & collectables. 63 were guns. The Deluxe had gorgeous wood & the Ithaca was the most pristine 49 year old rifle I've ever seen. The Ithaca was offered, IIRC, from 1969 to 1977, so I'm curious if or when Tikka stopped using the Bofors stamp. I REALLY should have bought that Ithaca!

The catch is there is no way of knowing - had you been interested and bid where the price may have gone In order for the price to
increase it obviously takes 2 bidders. My experience around Harrisburg Pa. has been different with guns no matter the manufacturer go for a premium at auctions and believe it or not more than likely when the bidding ends it will be an Amish gentleman that will walk away with the majority of them.
Pauls does point out the outrageous fees charged for intetnet bidders at most auctions normally 15 to 20 percent, so anyone off site is up against it for sure..

Crazy thing is some of the more mundane Rems & Wins went for MORE money! Colt Sauer in 30-06 with finish damage on the buttstock went for $1750. Plain Jane Rem 700 HB in 6mm Rem went for $900. Go figure.

I see this same trend for the mundane stuff to go for much more than Sakos. Twenty years ago this wasn't the case. Back then Sakos went for more than the Rems, Wins and Rugers. In my area, that has definitely changed. And Colt Sauer prices are off the page compared to Sako and they were reasonably close in price 10 years ago. Regarding the Rems, Wins and Rugers, its not like they are rare. For example, in 1962 and 1963 Remington made about 20,000 model 700 ADL and BDL's in 7mm Mag alone. You can't even find one of those to buy. It sounds like I am trying to drive the price of the Sakos up, but that's not the case. I just don't understand how they lag so far behind the mundane stuff.

All the prices and timelines mentioned is what I've seen as well. I was a main player on the mid-Atlantic auction circuit years ago. I still go to them, but not as frequently. Same with the gun shows. I'm a bit surprised that the AIII deluxe didn't go for a couple hundred more, at least. And the Tikka, yeah sounds about right based on Paulson's description.

DeerGoose

Latest posts

Back