• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Fitting Sako 85 7mm-08 Bavarian to a McMillian Stock

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Caleveras

I have a Sako Bavarian in 7mm-08 that I would like to put into a new McMillian stock. All other 85s fit into the stock with no problem.

The stock is fitted for the S sized action.

I am thinking the set trigger of the Bavarian in causing some fitting issues, and would like to know if anyone else has either tried to fit a Bavarian into a McMillian and/or know where to find an answer?

Thanks in advance for your time.

The action and barrel contour are identical between Bavarian and regular Hunter. Also no external difference between the standard trigger vs set trigger. I don't see any reason why Bavarian would not fit that stock.

This won’t drop in without some level of work. There is a block affixed under the barrel. It must be cut off, then the remaining steel smoothed out to drop in.

Or, you’d need to create a channel in the new stock for the block to drop into. The Bavarian stock ic cut up front, then there is a small metal plate attached in the channel for the block to drop through. It’s notched and made to go together, then be slid slightly forward. It takes some effort just to get it apart.

Personally, I would alter the new stock rather than cut off the block. I doubt McMillian will be able to perform this service unless they have the rifle. Maybe you have the skills, or perhaps you have a good Smith to do either job. Good luck.

As a follow up; the trigger area should drop in without any fuss. I have a Bavarian and compared the factory wood and a McMillian. I did not drop it in because of the block mentioned above, but it appears identical.

If you were wondering? The block is there to stabilize the slender thin wood forend. If it was removed or just not there, then the forend would be more subject to breakage.

Just food for thought and probably a reason not to cut the block off.

Thank you very much for the information. Based on your comments, I contacted a gunsmith and he said he can fit the stock to work with the Bavarian.

I don't feel I have the skill-set to do this myself.

I may also go in a different direction, and see if I can trade the Bavarian for a Finnlight in 7mm-08. I don't like the 20.5" barrel, but it fits my style of hunting.

Thanks again

That block mentioned above is just a fancy slot head screw and it is only found on Bavarian Carbine barrel. It might be secured in with some thread locker, so heat might be needed to unscrew it. Removing it will not affect anything if you are putting it in a stock with free floated barrel channel. Keeping it and fitting it to the free floated stock might actually cause more problems than any good.

I may stand corrected. Mine may have been altered because it is different than what you’ve described. Mine was bought second hand. If easily removable then obviously that would be the way to go. Thanks much.

Back