• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What Is A Krico Rifle?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kirkbridgershooters

I have a Krico rifle that I am selling, but don't know anything about it. It was made in West Germany, so it was made before 1989. It has double set triggers, detachable box magazine and is chambered in 22-250. The bolt is as smooth as a Colt Sauer and the stock has an eerie resemblance to Sako. It isn't marked on the rifle "Krico" anywhere, but it seems that it fits the description. It is marked "Tradewinds, Tacoma Washington" and model "K-607"

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this rifle, it seems to be high quality manufacture...

IMG_1502.JPG IMG_1503.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1507.JPG

kirk, I don’t know much about Krico other than they are held in high regard over here as very accurate and well made rifles. This is clear when you see the high prices in the second hand market here.

I know stonecreek has more knowledge of them than me and he will most likely chip in when he can.

Meanwhile, here’s a link to a short history of the company.

http://krico.eu/historie/?language=en

Jim

Krico is an abbreviation for Kriegeskorte & Co. in Stuttgart, Germany, a maker of high quality rifles. They are still in business but have few sales in the United States. I have had a .30-06 Krico since the 90's, which I used for moose hunting in Finland. The Krico action is a copy (improved, IMHO) of the Remington 700. Scope mounts can be hard to find, but Conetrol makes them, as do some European manufacturers. Weaver mounts were also available at one time, but Weaver's website does not currently list the Krico. Krico rifles have also been made with Mannlicher-style stocks and with battue sighting ribs.

The action on the .22-250 is a Krico 600, the shorter of two versions of Krico's basic centerfire action. The long action is the 700. There is some confusion about Krico model numbers due to various number changes by both the factory and the importer. Tradewinds was the importer for several years and used the name "Tradewinds Husky"for both Husqvarna and Krico rifles.

From the photos it appears your rifle is in excellent shape. The caliber and Sako-like stock make this the "Varmint" model as shown in the catalog page below. My 700 has a Bavarian-style slimline stock with a schnabel. I'd guess the value in the range of $800-1200. I see Kricos advertised for quite a bit more but I'm not sure they change hands at those prices. It's a bit hard to value a Krico because they are so seldom seen. Check Gunbroker and Guns International for comps. Curiously, although GB has very little Krico for sale, there is a current listing for a spare magazine for your rifle. Opening bid is $150 and there are currently no bids.

Here's a closeup of my Krico, with a 1.5-6x Schmidt & Bender scope in Conetrol mounts.
Krico 1.JPG

And here's a page from the Tradewinds catalog. Your rifle appears to be the item in the middle. The statement that it has a Mauser-type action is false - it's a Remington-type action with a spring-loaded extractor, not a Mauser claw. The top rifle is a Husqvarna HVA, which is a Mauser-type action.
Tradewinds Husky Catalog Page.jpg

I also own one. It is a Krico 600 Sniper in .223. It is a heavy barreled version in kind of a game scout style wood stock. It has vents cut in the fore stock under the barrel to help lessen the weight It is typical german quality. Extremely accurate. The downside is simple obscurity and almost no parts or accessories that would be easy to acquire. I bought mine for $900.00, scoped with an ancient Ziess and one spare magazine. There are a few followers but not many. I agree with the above regarding value, this is a tough one. My advice, if you decide to sell; figure out your bottom line on the rifle, then start a listing with slightly higher starting price and a buy now price. This will allow you to reduce the price to the bottom line if you receive no action. Best of luck.

Nice looking rifle Kirk.

Looks like the same type of wood that's used on Sako's. Same color also.

There were a lot of Krico's sold in Australia, and some guys collect them. If you Krico owners are searching for Krico spare parts and can't find it in the US, try looking in Australia, esp the older gunsmith shops or place a wanted ad on our main gun website (www.usedguns.com.au) . Most parts are not restricted at our end from being posted to the US . There are several other Australian gun websites which have listings also.

A search on Used Guns today for Krico had these listings:

https://www.usedguns.com.au/SearchR...ue&cat=0&calibre=0&condition=0&state=0&page=1

Cheers
Piper

No question, it is a quality rifle. In my opinion $750.00 is a fair, reasonable price. Based on caliber and configuration you should be able to find a buyer, even though the audience might be smaller than a brand name rifle. People will buy quality especially when the price has not been over inflated. Some folks get perhaps beyond reasonable when they have something unusual, even though there may be fewer buyers. Keep in mind; if you want to net $750.00 you’ll have to calculate the starting price up slightly as there is a sellers fee on sites like Gunbroker. Just look at terms and conditions. Best of luck. Sean.

Kirk: Icebear has provided a lot of excellent information on the Kricos. Krico is one of the few rifles that I stay on the look-out for other than Sakos. I own a .22-250 identical to yours -- but yours looks in better condition. If I didn't already own one I'd happily pay your asking price for it. I also own the same gun in .222 Magnum. Both are excellent shooters, but I get much more use out of the smaller caliber for all of the reasons that we've previously discussed elsewhere.

Before the introduction of the 600 action Krico built .222's and Hornets on the small Brno action (or, according to some, a copy of the Brno action.) Both actions featured an excellent double set trigger. My younger grandson immediately grasped the concept and advantages of the double set trigger the first time he fired the Krico and refuses to shoot at prairie dogs with anything else.

In addition to the two .22 Centerfires, I own a bolt and an auto in .22 LR and recently acquired a .308. Excellent rifles.

I think I recall from looking at the current Krico company's website a while back that they now offer only larger hunting calibers in rather pricey rifles. I'm unaware of there being a current U.S. importer.

I've owned a few older Kricos...never thought too much of them and they are now owned by others...definitely not a bad rifle but not a true premium rifle either...more like a German attempt to produce a mid-level affordable rifle.

I also recall some German acquaintances who pronounced it (correctly I assume) as "Krick-oh"...not the more comon North American "Kree-co"

Back