• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako .375 hunting

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Norway.375

Another moose-calf harvested in the Norwegian mountains. 1050 meters over sea-level. It was -10 celsius during the last days of the hunt. And the calf was sunk under water to keep the meet from freezing too fast.
Range 204 meters
300 grains Nosler Partition
80 grains N160 Resized_20181119_140451(3).jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20181120_114550(2).jpg
    Resized_20181120_114550(2).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Resized_20181120_144128(1).jpg
    Resized_20181120_144128(1).jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Resized_20181121_125755.jpg
    Resized_20181121_125755.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Resized_20181121_130459.jpg
    Resized_20181121_130459.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 55
Should be very good eating! For the benefit of American members who may not understand about European game management, in many European countries (including Finland, where I used to hunt moose), hunting licenses are issued specifically to shoot a bull, cow, or calf moose. You may only shoot the specific type of animal on your license. It is strictly forbidden to shoot a cow that has a calf with her, unless the shooter has a tag for both a cow and a calf and then you must shoot the calf first. This is a normal part of wildlife management to stabilize the moose population. A cow or calf moose is also much better eating than a bull at the height of the rut!

Should be very good eating! For the benefit of American members who may not understand about European game management, in many European countries (including Finland, where I used to hunt moose), hunting licenses are issued specifically to shoot a bull, cow, or calf moose. You may only shoot the specific type of animal on your license. It is strictly forbidden to shoot a cow that has a calf with her, unless the shooter has a tag for both a cow and a calf and then you must shoot the calf first. This is a normal part of wildlife management to stabilize the moose population. A cow or calf moose is also much better eating than a bull at the height of the rut!
Thank you very much Icebear for your explaining. Yes in this part of Norway there have been too much moose for about 15 years.
In 1990 a grown up bull had a meat-weight +/- 300 kg (meat and bones).
But today a big bull is about 240 kg because the lack of good food, and maybe too less grown up bulls.
The moose-population needs some big bulls to start the rut in correct time.

thanks for the explanation!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will add in, when I was hunting, we never shot a cow with a calf.

We don't have calve hunting, nothing against it if its a game management mechanism.

Our Caribou hunts don't say you can't, but our take is that is the future and no way jose. We both passed on a nice cow (with cow permits) on just that reason one hunt.

That said, we found a group of caribou wiped out, calves, mothers and the back strap was the only meat taken.

Unfortunate they had left the area, unfortunately for them we had a good ID on them and for whatever reason, they were right behind us at the road check.

The Game agent says, you boys are good to go, it all checks out right. Thank you officer, those fellers behind us, you need to do a complete cross check of meat and the animal horns and particulars .

You are going to find a lot of back straps that exceed the cow and bull ID.

As we left we saw them getting out of their truck, a lot of hand waving and stern, knock it off boys, uncover the load and lets start to check it out.

The sweet part is that up here, all equipment used to illegally take animals is subject to seizure and no return. So, they had at least a 25k pickup, I forget how many 4 wheelers (3 or 4) and guns to go all around, not to mention the miscellaneous gear. Probably pushing 50k worth. All gone.

Latest posts

Back