• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Forester safety setting on recoil

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Azazel

So I’ve got an early 80s Sako Forester in .308. I’ve noticed the last few times at the range that the safety is sometimes setting under recoil and locking the bolt. I think of course have to push it off safe to work the bolt and fire another round. Mildly annoying on the bench, but more so for hunting (hasn’t happened while hunting yet).

Any ideas what might be causing that and if I might be able to fix it or adjust something to prevent it from happening. I will admit my Sako is probably the only gun I own that I haven’t stripped it down or at least taken it out of the stock before (I’ve detail stripped at least 20 different models of gun).

Thanks!

Perhaps removing the barreled action from the stock & examining the trigger/safety mechanism would reveal what is wrong. Beings I don't have the rifle in hand limits my ability to do that & provide you with an explanation.

Here are a couple of suggestions. As you can see on the photo below, the safety slides alongside the trigger housing, retained by a pair of screws. If I remember correctly, there is a ball-spring detent under the slider. (It's been a couple of months since I took one of these apart.) One of several things could cause the safety to slip:
1. One or both of the retaining screws is/are loose.
2. The detent is stuck because of old, hardened lubricant in the mechanism.
3. The spring is broken or permanently compressed.

If the detent is stuck because of gunk, the entire trigger mechanism should be cleaned. You can try a spray gun cleaner, soak it in solvent or (best, but requires skill and self-confidence) take the thing apart and clean it with solvent, wire brushes, scrapers, picks, or whatever is your weapon of choice.

Sako Trigger.jpg

The ball detent pressure, on the safety lever piece, is adjusted by a screw on the left side of the trigger housing. On my triggers, I seal the setting with a single drop of clear fingernail polish.....on top of the screw slot.

Hope this helps.

Interesting - I never noticed the adjuster, probably because I've never had to adjust the detent. Thanks for pointing that out, a loose adjustment screw could well be the original poster's problem.

Back