• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

AIII Timney Trigger

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gjb89

Anyone used one of timney's triggers on a Sako AIII ? Worth the money? What kind of fitting is needed?

The Timney isn't any better trigger than the Sako #4 already in your AIII, unless you want to have a weight of pull lower than 2 lbs or so, which doesn't make sense on a HUNTING rifle IMHO. Some stock whittling is usual needed to fit the Timney. Save your money & adjust your #4 trigger. I have yet to see one that didn't work like a good trigger should.

Agree. I have a custom Sako with a Timney trigger that was on the gun when I bought it, but I have yet to figure out why the long-ago owner wanted to replace the Sako trigger. The Timney trigger is superlative - but so is the Sako trigger.

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of Jewell and Timney on precision rifles. The only reason I am considering an after market one is because the break feels bad. It's hard to explain, maybe something is wrong with the trigger?

The owner's manual for the L61R Finnbear, which uses the same trigger, is available on Sako's website. Here's a link: https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Finnbear.pdf

Based on recent personal experience, I think it's highly likely that your trigger is gummed up with old, hardened lubricant. I had a problem with an identical trigger on an L61R; the trigger was so hinky it was actually unsafe. When I took it apart I found a mess of dark-brown crud. If you are lucky, it might clean up with spray or immersion in a solvent bath. However, mine was so badly fouled that it had to be taken apart and the crud gotten out with solvent, brushes, and pointed instruments. No way it would have cleaned up without poking and scraping. When I put it back together it worked fine.

If you have the skills and the tools I would highly recommend taking the trigger apart to clean it, just to be sure. The job is a bit tricky but nothing horrendous. The hardest part is getting it back together correctly; parts have to be replaced in exactly the right order and there are one or two that can be put in wrong. I'd suggest Googling around to find step-by-step instructions or a video. I winged it successfully with just a parts diagram, but I've been doing this sort of thing by fingerspitzengefühl for a long time. And it would have gone faster if I'd had reassembly instructions.

If you're not comfortable taking a trigger apart, there's always your friendly local gunsmith.

Good luck.

Based on recent personal experience, I think it's highly likely that your trigger is gummed up with old, hardened lubricant. I had a problem with an identical trigger on an L61R; the trigger was so hinky it was actually unsafe.

I looked it up!! "Hinky" is actually a word. I learn something new here all the time.

Latest posts

Back