• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New to the club and just buying a Sako A2 .243

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Leigh

Hi All, great club you have here with lots of interesting detail. I have done some research into the Sako A2 I only have a limited budget and I am about to invest this into a Sako, I am looking for advice on what to look out for before confirming my purchase, as it is an old rifle but it suits the purpose and budget for what I will use it for.

Thank you in advance

Sakos are not very subject to breakage, so there is nothing special to look out for. Sometimes people assemble them without getting the magazine box properly seated, so that when they cinch down the action screws it bows the bottom metal. I've purchase one used Sako which had a broken extractor, but that is rare and extractors are available as aftermarket items, so not a big problem. "Amateurs" can improperly adjust the trigger, but that is fixable.

Being in the U.K. you're probably in a humid climate. As with any gun a Sako is subject to rust and corrosion if not properly cared for, but that is something you would inspect for regardless of the make of rifle.

Good luck with purchasing your Sako. You'll enjoy owning it.

Never purchase a gun without a return policy if your on a limited budget. Always inspect the gap along barrel and stock for any warping. And the floor plate screws for damage.

I would consider a Garcia to early Stoeger import in a 222 or 243 as they are the most common and affordable. They will shoot well, I have no idea what it is like living in England but the first thing I would do is move to America, then get that Sako...

Hello Leigh,

The A2 is very much like the L579, although the A2 has a bolt shroud which I personally don't like. I live in the New Forest England, so where are you. Glad to have another Limey in the SCC. " Very Happy To Pipe You Aboard "

Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

Hi All, great club you have here with lots of interesting detail. I have done some research into the Sako A2 I only have a limited budget and I am about to invest this into a Sako, I am looking for advice on what to look out for before confirming my purchase, as it is an old rifle but it suits the purpose and budget for what I will use it for.

Thank you in advance
POW gave good advice and I add, always check the bolt face for gas damage and heavy use. Bolt faces can tell a lot about the previous use regardless of the appearance. If I personally am able to inspect the gun, I check the bore with my scope.

Hello Leigh,

The A2 is very much like the L579, although the A2 has a bolt shroud which I personally don't like. I live in the New Forest England, so where are you. Glad to have another Limey in the SCC. " Very Happy To Pipe You Aboard "

Hi Mike, Glad to be on board and thank you for the feedback, I am in Warwick in the midlands, I hhad been looking down the Howa route but the one I had ordered was bent in the barrel great for shooting round corners

Then a friend of mine was looking at this Sako and even tho he has a brand new Bergara he has said he would prefer the Sako, I have an RFD that has given me some points to look out for, yes it’s old but it looks immaculate, I have him looking at it for me and I should pick it up next week.

Hello Leigh,

Hi black jack, I have a limited budget, I have been advised that the action alone is worth the money, but do you think subject to a check over an A2 with scope and t8 mod £400 is a good deal?

I will be looking at. A decent scope and a wild cat mod along with a bipod on it so before the initial insatllament, I’d like a Sako so is this the way forward. I haven’t seen another one advertised, so is there a reason for that.

Cheers leigh

What kind of Mod would you put on it?
Ok so I have my Sako................OMG I picked her up for £350. I made an offer.....accepted........I am so lucky! So it has a t8 mod and a nothing scope, so now I am going to use her yes her.... as she is and see what ammo she like with a little help from my friends who load there own and see what she likes. I will keep you all posted! Thinking wild cat mod but omg I’m so lucky! Gun for life I hope!

Hello Leigh,

Finally sorted my Sako, I’m in 5he midlands and cannot wait to get her set and get her to use ;-)

Hi all,

Well I have been having lots of great accurate shooting with my A2 but I am upgrading my scope and I need 30mm medium or high rings, I am based in England the midlands Warwick and I am in need of buying some all advice and help is welcome.

Love what you have done with the site too!!!

Many thanks Leigh

Latest posts

Back