• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Quad project

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

dgeesaman

Picked up a Quad action only a few months ago for a project. Added a Lilja 17HMR barrel, mag from Gunbroker, DIP bottom trigger guard and 25 Moa rail, GRS Hybrid stock, and Bix’n Andy trigger. Going out for bedding by Alex Sitman of Masterclass stocks later this week.

Trigger is fantastic. The original Quad trigger was really good when I softened the tension, but the B&A is pretty much a true benchrest trigger. I put in the heavy spring and it’s still very light. I installed it myself. Aside from eyeballing the alignment and adjusting the tension I did nothing special to install it.

The Lilja barrel is very accurate; I’m getting just about 1/2” groups of five at 100y. Cycling and chambering a round from the magazine is a bit touchy, although it gave me no issues the second outing if I pulled the bolt back 100% and was deliberate. The first outing I had issues withe the following round hanging up on the shoulder because the angle was too steep coming out of the mag.

Corny as it sounds, the tiny blue emblem of the Zeiss scope looks great to me over the black/grey/stainless color scheme. Scope clearance is not enough to change a barrel, so I’ll have to address that when (if?) I buy another barrel.

This is by far the nicest rimfire I own, and I’m pretty happy so far. Not sure anyone else would buy it but I suppose that doesn’t matter.

Attachments

• 166A0AC4-CE48-486B-B882-83060611808A.jpeg
    166A0AC4-CE48-486B-B882-83060611808A.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Picked up a Quad action only a few months ago for a project. Added a Lilja 17HMR barrel, mag from Gunbroker, DIP bottom trigger guard and 25 Moa rail, GRS Hybrid stock, and Bix’n Andy trigger. Going out for bedding by Alex Sitman of Masterclass stocks later this week.

I had a chance to shoot this gun over the weekend, and yes, it is very, very sweet.

Oh, and yes, it does shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards … which contradicts the widely held view that 17HMR ammo is not capable of match accuracy.

Of course, people might believe me if the owner posted some targets here ;)

Enjoy!
Dave

Dave,
Not sure other Sako owners would be surprised with accuracy. Maybe you're thinking of the 17HMR downers on a central rimfire site...

Quad is with Alex Sitman as of today. Target is some ammo testing between CCI Gamepoints and Federal (CCI) TNT.

David

Attachments

• 636E2ED3-2B3D-4AC3-A525-061001134460.jpeg
    636E2ED3-2B3D-4AC3-A525-061001134460.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Trigger is fantastic. The original Quad trigger was really good when I softened the tension, but the B&A is pretty much a true benchrest trigger. I put in the heavy spring and it’s still very light. I installed it myself. Aside from eyeballing the alignment and adjusting the tension I did nothing special to install it.

The Lilja barrel is very accurate; I’m getting just about 1/2” groups of five at 100y. Cycling and chambering a round from the magazine is a bit touchy, although it gave me no issues the second outing if I pulled the bolt back 100% and was deliberate. The first outing I had issues withe the following round hanging up on the shoulder because the angle was too steep coming out of the mag.

Corny as it sounds, the tiny blue emblem of the Zeiss scope looks great to me over the black/grey/stainless color scheme. Scope clearance is not enough to change a barrel, so I’ll have to address that when (if?) I buy another barrel.

This is by far the nicest rimfire I own, and I’m pretty happy so far. Not sure anyone else would buy it but I suppose that doesn’t matter.

Hi
Interesting you fitted a Bix'n'Andy trigger. I fitted one to my Quad but no matter how many times I tried and fitted and refitted it the top sear did not at any time engage with the sear bent on the firing pin. Perhaps mine was a Monday morning Friday afternoon production. Bix'n'And''s response was a that as the triggers in their factory were all within spec then it must be a problem with the tolerances on my rifle, not very helpful.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work for you. I’m surprised honestly because Sako typically machines with tight tolerances.

it may be worth finding someone else with a Quad and test fitting it to another action.

David

Sorry to hear it didn’t work for you. I’m surprised honestly because Sako typically machines with tight tolerances.

it may be worth finding someone else with a Quad and test fitting it to another action.

David

Hi
Thank you.
I'm surprised as well as I believed that both Sako and Bix'n'Andy produced to tight tolerances. Unfortunately I have returned the trigger, with hindsight I would have, as you have suggested, sought other Quad owners and tried the trigger on their rifles. This would of have at least gone some way to point towards the likely issue.

Post some targets.

My HMR is doing slightly less than moa average.
But it is lot dependent. My HMR groups have gotten smaller pretty much everytime I have been to the range. I have stopped cleaning it afterwards from copper to allow some "seasoning" Maybe it helps, maybe not.

Here is your Quad's twin in green
20200311_001527.jpg

This was me testing a few CCI ammo at 100y. The TNT won handily that day.

Since then I came across a 17gr Vmax lot that can challenge the TNT.

I also tried the Rimfirecentral 17hmr challenge target at 100y. Not a screamer but pretty good.

I have not run many rounds, maybe a few x100 and I have not deep cleaned the barrel yet. I will start with copper remover.

Attachments

• 2C4EE646-704C-4B9E-B14F-4A1A3E09D88A.jpeg
    2C4EE646-704C-4B9E-B14F-4A1A3E09D88A.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1313AECC-8D23-48E1-A399-8661F80AE26E.jpeg
    1313AECC-8D23-48E1-A399-8661F80AE26E.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 25
Just an FYI suggestion. I have been running 17 rimfire rifles in 17M2, 17HMR and 17WSM for years now, and all of them require a proper break-in as well as regular and thorough cleaning just like you would a centerfire rifle to maintain good accuracy. In fact the tiny 17 cal bore is more sensitive to copper fouling than a larger rifle might be. If you are running a match grade bbl such as the Lilja, they are smoother and should not foul as quickly but will still benefit from cleaning. It is a common mistake among rimfire shooters to treat their 17's just like a 22lr and not clean them enough. As far as that goes, I clean my 22lrs regularly as well but I engage in BR competition matches with many of them and the small variance matters when precision accuracy is the goal. If all you are doing is plinking or off hand hunting shooting, then you would not likely see the difference. But for the guys who are shooting groups at 100y or 50y, you will see a difference.

Latest posts

Back