• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What calibers are most sought-after?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Nice line up there Kirk, you've certainly lucked onto a few of late. Well done.
I only just parted with a couple of the old Zeiss
3-9 Diavari's and they appear to sit nicely on those rifles. I suspect that the bolt handle of the Bee would make contact with the large ocular bell ?

Stone - A friend of mine has a 7.62X39 brought back from Europe. As he states it, were very common but no Americans wanted the Commie round!
This was back when you could buy firearms at the rod and gun club and ship them home.

And that is how I bought mine...

Re-reading these old posts jogged my memory of the huge mistake I and 2 other guys made when we were teamed up trying to buy nice pre-72 Deluxe Sako collections to split up among ourselves. That's not easy because we each always wanted the most-sought after caliber in the collection for our self. Then in 1998 we found 17 deluxes with almost all US calibers represented. The guy wanted $16,000 which we agreed was a little too much money. I drew the short straw to go look at the rifles and try to negotiate a better deal. The guy wouldn't budge on price, so we started trying to find buyers for the rifles none of us wanted. Except for one rifle, we found buyers for all the ones we didn't want. The one we didn't want that we couldn't get rid of was a second run Deluxe 7x33. The rifle was all original and in about 90%. We probably asked about 10 people we knew if they wanted the 7x33 and they quickly said no. Since we had already determined the 16K was a little too much for the 17 Deluxes, we passed on the collection. Remembering back it seems like it was only a couple of years later that everyone started looking for a 7x33. Live and learn !

Wow! I hear and feel your pain douglas. But I think that we might have all done that at one time or another.

I remember when I first started collecting Sako's and was watching an auction. At that early time in my collecting I had no idea which calibers were rare or which ones weren't.
So I passed on all the rare hard to find calibers, for instance a 244 Mannlicher, Hornets, and others. But smart o'l me, I managed to win the bidding on a Mannlicher in 7 mag.

Such a fool I was.

And then sometimes you just have plain old dumb luck:

When I was 14 years old I was determined to buy a Sako with my summer wages from working on the farm. My "source" was Gibson's Discount Center in Abilene, Texas, and having read holes in the pages of Jack O'Connor's articles in Outdoor Life I had my heart set on a .270. Well, by August when I had accumulated the necessary $139 I went to Gibsons, and to my dismay found that they had only two calibers of Sakos in stock: A "pedestrian" .30-06 and a fire-belching .264 Magnum. Being far too sophisticated at that age to shoot such a common caliber as the .30-06, I "settled" for the .264 and brought it home.

I still have that .264, now over a half-century old, and while I'd never sell it, it is of course, a much more valued caliber than either the .30-06 or the .270.

By the way, about 30 years later I did come across a mint Bofors .270 which I purchased, and it has become my "go to" rifle when I'm serious about taking a whitetail.

Back