• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Is the L61R Left Hand the same as the AV Left Hand?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

EVR

As far as I knew, the L61R was NOT made in a Left Hand action. So in searching for stocks, this question arises...

The lefthanded Sakos were introduced in 1986 and at that time the receivers were marked AV. They are similar to the receivers marked L61R but has a longer tang as an example. You could re-work an ordinary L61R stock to fit an AV but it would still be RH and you would have to cut away some wood.

Here’s a link to LH info frommy catalog collection:

http://sakoparaphernalia.com/Sako_Paraphernalia/Sako/Sidor/Catalogues_issued_by_Sako.html#33

However, there are original LH stocks for righthanded L61R’s. I see them ever so often over here in Scandinavia.

Our own @stonecreek can show you pics of those since I got him one some years ago. He is right-handed but shoots from the left shoulder so that combo suits him well!

Jim

Not only did Jim find a LH stock for an L61R for me, he also found an incredibly rare LH stock for an L46!

I put the L61R stock on a .25-06 three-lug barreled action that I bought from Rodger at SakoSource. The rifle shoots "lights out" with a 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip powered by a charge of IMR 7828SSC and I've taken javelinas, hogs, and whitetails with it. Note that this .25-06 has the "old style" s-shaped magazine release, which seems very incongruous since Sako didn't start chambering the .25-06 until well after the changeover to the plunger-style release. Never say "never" when it comes to Sakos.

I put the L46 stock on a virtually unfired 7x33 with left hand safety and sent its original stock to an SCC friend in Australia. My goal is to take a turkey with the 7x33 (the closest thing we have to a capercallae around here, which is what the 7x33 was built for.) Notice that the L46 stock, which is birch, is checkered only on the grip. Lots of Sako stocks of this era were like this.

DSC01523.JPG
DSC01525.JPG

Latest posts

Back