• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Custom Gun Shop ???

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

model 52

Back in the 60’s and 70’s did Sako run a custom gun shop for special orders. Could a dealer place a special gun order thru Firearms International or Garcia such as;
Special very select Walnut for stock
Monte Carlo stock with a high comb on the cheek part rolling over to the opposite side of stock
Special Checkering

Were these services offered. Most major gun makers back in the day did offer these services.

Thank You
Model 52

This subject comes up now and again. Sako did make some one-off pieces that were customized for particular people. I own what appears to be a presentation model made for a long-time employee, and there are several examples of one-of-a-kind Sakos in the Finnish Hunting Museum located not far from the factory in Riihimaki.

However, these one-off pieces were typically for "insiders" as Sako had no formal custom shop and it appears they did not take orders for individuals, even through their distributors like FI or Garcia. Sako did (and occasionally still does) make special runs of a particular rifle like the GO Wholesale .280 Remingtons back in the 1980's and the more recent Cabela's Finnbears. There has also been an NRA gun of the year, and a King Ranch model. As opposed to a custom-made rifle, these were all produced in quantities of several hundred or more and all rifles in the run were identical.

Through the years there have been quite a few of these "special" editions like a Gander Mountain heavy barreled Mannlicher and several models made for and distributed solely in Australia by D. W. Custer, the former Australian importer.

Dg6sDPT.jpg

Back