• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How tight do these screws need to be?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Webphut

I installed my Canjar trigger, but am not familiar with how tight, or what torque to tighten the highlighted screws. All input would be appreciated. Thank you. IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0859.JPG

Torque recommendations for small screws, like those found on firearms, are worthless tidbits of trivial information. Please don't tell me you don't know how to tighten a screw. They need to be tight enough that they don't come loose. Is that so hard that you need to inquire on the internet. Do you really think there are specs out there for those specific screws that can be accessed just for you? Used to be people just grabbed a screwdriver & turned the screw in a clockwise direction. If you can't accomplish that take it to someone who can. Sorry if I sound curt, but I just am getting sick & tried of all the worthless minutia that the internet has cause to enter the firearms world. For crying out loud, can't anybody tighten a screw anymore without asking how!!!

I hear ya. I always seen my father use a small palm inch pound torque screwdriver on the bottom metal plate/trigger guard screws is all, too busy with other things to to ever ask what the torque setting was. 35 years of being in same room with my father while he worked on rifles and I fabricated metal. Think I had paid more attention, but hindsight is 20/20...lol

I snugged em all up, but I guess time will tell.

Torque measures how hard a screw is turned, not how tight it is. A given amount of torque applied to smooth, oiled threads gets a screw a lot tighter than the same amount of torque applied to a screw with dirty, rusty threads. That's why "tightening" to an arbitrary inch-pounds of torque is not particularly useful with small screws.

I like to make the front action screw as tight as I can reasonably make it with a good-fitting screwdriver. The rear action screw should be just snug, but not "squeaky" tight. On your rifle with the two trigger guard screws, the front one is only there to hold the trigger guard in place (and offset the pull of the rear action screw). It should be approximately as snug as the rear action screw. What is probably more important than how tight they are is that they are tightened evenly at the same time so that no binding occurs.

Torque recommendations for small screws, like those found on firearms, are worthless tidbits of trivial information. Please don't tell me you don't know how to tighten a screw. They need to be tight enough that they don't come loose. Is that so hard that you need to inquire on the internet. Do you really think there are specs out there for those specific screws that can be accessed just for you? Used to be people just grabbed a screwdriver & turned the screw in a clockwise direction. If you can't accomplish that take it to someone who can. Sorry if I sound curt, but I just am getting sick & tried of all the worthless minutia that the internet has cause to enter the firearms world. For crying out loud, can't anybody tighten a screw anymore without asking how!!!

All that said, in the benchrest .22 world, action screw torque is known to affect accuracy when shooting pin holes at 50 yards. Companies like Anschutz have recommended torque values as do many others.

Jist sayin'...don't make me get my nail gun out!

I have found that many gun owners tend to over tighten the guard/receiver screws to the point of being ridiculous. In addition to putting unnecessary pressure on the rear of the receiver they invariably booger the screw slots in their attempt to make the receiver one with the stock. Invariably, when I get one of these in, I have to be extremely careful to grind a screwdriver blade so that it fits the screw slot perfectly when I try to remove the overtightened screw. In a lot of cases the screws still deform a bit because the screw is so tight the amount of force that has to be exerted to remove them is more than the screw was designed to take.

My rule of thumb for tightening receiver screws is not to overtighten them. Tighten the front screw until it is snug and ditto for the rear screw. Overtightening can affect accuracy adversely as can screws that are too lose. So good judgement and a feel for how not overtightening the screws is key to securing the receiver properly without overtightening the screws.

In other words, don't tighten the screws like you shake hands macho style.

rick

I have found that many gun owners tend to over tighten the guard/receiver screws to the point of being ridiculous. In addition to putting unnecessary pressure on the rear of the receiver they invariably booger the screw slots in their attempt to make the receiver one with the stock. Invariably, when I get one of these in, I have to be extremely careful to grind a screwdriver blade so that it fits the screw slot perfectly when I try to remove the overtightened screw. In a lot of cases the screws still deform a bit because the screw is so tight the amount of force that has to be exerted to remove them is more than the screw was designed to take.

My rule of thumb for tightening receiver screws is not to overtighten them. Tighten the front screw until it is snug and ditto for the rear screw. Overtightening can affect accuracy adversely as can screws that are too lose. So good judgement and a feel for how not overtightening the screws is key to securing the receiver properly without overtightening the screws.

In other words, don't tighten the screws like you shake hands macho style.

rick

You are absolutely correct. Some folks should not be allowed to handle tools!

I agree. And most backyard mechanics treat rifles like they were working on their cars. Tighten the screws almost to the point of wringing off the screw heads.

rick

Back