• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579 vs AII bottom metal

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

barreltwister

I just made a deal on an L579 in an AII Hunter stock. Have yet to receive it.

Looking at the pics I see the bottom metal doesn't fit properly leaving a gap near the rear of the floorplate.

I've owned a ton of medium Sakos over the years haven't noticed a difference in the bottom metal inlet.

Opinions please.

There were at least four different bottom metals on the L579's. An early one had the magazine release as a serrated half-moon inside the trigger guard. There was one on which the magazine box was integral with the bottom metal (usually with the half-moon release). Another had the "s" shaped release lever in the front of the trigger guard and had a square floorplate tang. The latest had a pushbutton floorplate release with a rounded floorplate tang.

Some of the earlier ones were a tad wider than the later ones.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the different styles releases on the bottom metal. What I was inquiring about was the exposed inlet on the sides near the front of the trigger area. I hope someone hasn't narrowed the metal in this area. The rear action screw area seems to fit what looks like the factory inlet.

BT, I think the picture you have attached is showing an illusion due to the lighting and the good polished and glossy finish found on Sakos. I pulled out four 579's so I could look at each type described by stone. All the trigger guards (bows ??) are different widths. The ones with the "S" shaped release are skinny in front of the trigger and when I look at those it appears that, due to the skinny width of the metal in the front of the guard, it appears you can see a gap between the metal and the wood. But there is no gap, it is just an illusion. I've noticed that where polished and glossy wood and metal surfaces touch each other, do some weird reflection illusions when photographed.

BT, I realize your picture is showing the push button type, but my push button type has the same illusion as the "S" type. The illusion in the "S" type is just more pronounced.

Douglastwo, I see what you mean about the reflection. I have blown up the pic and while it does get grainy I see it's very possible it is a reflection.

We'll know in a couple days.

. . . and very appropriate to an L579! Now if you could only find an L461 or A-I numbered 223222 . . .

Back