• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Two Deluxe .243s: Which to Gift?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Mongo44

I would like to get y'all's opinion on something. I have a very dear friend that I consider as a brother. I've known him all my life and met him through my brother (they were classmates) when I was 8 or 9 years old. I lost my brother a few years ago, unexpectedly, which has drawn my friend and I even closer. That said, I have been considering giving him one of my two Deluxe .243s, but cannot decide which one, so I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions.

This is how the two rifles compare:

1. Garcia Deluxe S/N 958xx. Has the Antelope (or "Sako-Lope," to which I believe I've seen it referred) floor plate with vine/leaf trigger guard. Bluing is 9.9 out of 10, bore is perfectly bright and shiny, and the stock is in very, very good shape with only very slight wear marks. Garcia import markings on bottom of barrel extending from the front of the stock. Stock has some decent grain to it, but mostly straight with some knot-figures on one side.

2. Deluxe S/N 641xx Has the two deer running through the forest on the floor plate. This is the same plate that adorns my Deluxe .308. "Bofors" marked barrel. S-shaped plate release. Bluing is about an 8 to 8.5 due to a couple of "incident" marks. One is a hairline scratch of about 2" in the middle top of the barrel, and I just noticed a small spot rust at the very top tip of the barrel where a front sight would be. The spot is difficult to see and is about 1/8" squared. The stock is contains more tiger-striping in it's figuring, is a wee-bit darker in color than the Garcia, but has a healthy number of handling marks from much field use, etc. (and this gun HAS been used a GREAT deal). The bore on this rifle matches the other in cleanliness and brightness.

Before I go into my own reasoning as to why I would keep one over another (and it goes both ways), I'll leave it here to solicit thoughts and opinions. I sure appreciate it! (I will post some photos if that will help, but the descriptions are accurate.)

If it was me, I would keep the Garcia, just because of the condition factor.

243 pre Garcia's are not really up there high on the chart for being a desirable collector because many were made in that caliber. So again, I would keep the nicer of the two.

If the rifle was most likely to be shot I would give the one most used - Pre Garcia. If it would most likely be kept without shooting much, I would give the one in better condition - Garcia.
Just my 2 cents worth....

Don’t think about the gun you are giving away, think about which one you would rather keep for whatever reason that suits you, not a bunch of guys on the internet. Whoever gets the 243 that you give away can’t possibly be disappointed with either one...

Good advice so far. Try to put yourself in your friends shoes. Is there one he might appreciate more? Otherwise keep the one you like best.

The rifle with 2 deer running seems very symbolic as a gift. 2 brothers in the forrest, (or is it a buck and doe?...which might not convey the same meaning.)

Your friend is probably not into Sako minutia like "Garcia/pre-Garcia". So if I were doing it I would give him the newer-looking rifle and keep the mate to my .308 for myself.

Regardless of which you choose, it will be a generous gift which he is sure to cherish.

Thank y'all so much! Everyone's input is greatly appreciated! I have been mulling this over for several weeks but have just been unable to tip the scale in either direction.

I can tell you all that he will be tickled pink with either, there's certainly no question about that! My dad gave him a Savage 99 .300 Sav a couple/few years ago. I like the 99 and have one as well, but have always considered it an ugly duckling. However, it is an excellent rifle, which is of course the most important factor. Anyway, he absolutely loves it and has bagged a few deer and a hog so far (this season and last). He's a shooter and will appreciate the history and the sentimentality of the rifle most of all. And, of course, the fact that it's a Sako Deluxe rifle is not at all "lost" on him...

I have been wanting to keep the Garcia for one reason - the floor plate is different from the .308. I know that sounds stupid, but would just like to have two different, rather than two of the same. I also wanted to make sure I am not making a mistake, from a "Collector" standpoint, by giving the Pre-Garcia away.

The one thing about the Pre-Garcia is that it is the rifle that my dad used to pull a beautiful Mule deer at just a hair under 600 yards in West Texas. I have the Muley on the wall in my dining room and will give that to him with the rifle. I have always considered my friend a better shooter than I, so I think it's appropriate to hand him the rifle that made such an outstanding shot.

So the decision is final. It will be the older rifle.

Again, thank you all so much for your input. Each opinion has helped greatly!

Your friend is probably not into Sako minutia like "Garcia/pre-Garcia". So if I were doing it I would give him the newer-looking rifle and keep the mate to my .308 for myself.

Regardless of which you choose, it will be a generous gift which he is sure to cherish.

No, you're correct, he isn't. But I guarantee you, when he begins shooting either one, he will become a Sako nut!

Quick question...

Have any of you had any experience with removing dents in the stock with the steaming process? I may try it, but want to make sure it's doable on a gloss coated stock.

Latest posts

Back