• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How About A Nice English Hammergun

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Here are a few of the AYA Matador.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 4
Kirk ~ Beautiful Colts! I can now say with certainty that "Lightning" often strikes multiple times in the same place!

I forgot to ask what kind of cartridges you use in the Colt double with the Damascus barrels. I would think today's more powerful loads might compromise the steel.

I shoot smokeless loads in it. I don't shoot anything high powered, just target loads and some 2 1/2 inch shells that I also shoot in the George Daw gun. Good English damascus barrels are plenty strong enough to handle a smokeless load as long as the damascus isn't pitted. The Belgian trade guns that were popular around the early 20th Century aren't a good bet to shoot with any load for that matter, but there is a huge difference in English barrels and other makes, even most American made damascus...

Man, those are some beautiful pups!! I have always had Labs, but had a Springer a long time ago, as well. Wonderful companions! Love the photos!

I'm going to pull the AYA and snap some shots for ya. What's that sxs in the photo?

Finally got my Labrador a nice expanse of water. I took him for some dummy training today and he
was superb. No hesitation - straight into the water. Our area is in the worst drought in living memory
so being allowed access to this water is a real bonus.
003.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

Here are some of the AYA (Spanish) and my Ferlib (Italian). These are great shooters...

First, the AYA. It's amazing what the camera picks up. This shotgun looks absolutely pristine to the naked eye, but the camera sees some "inclusions" here and there...

Attachments

• IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 6
Here are some of the Ferlib. Wow, do I love this gun!! She's a stunner.

Attachments

• IMG_2859.JPG
    IMG_2859.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2858.JPG
    IMG_2858.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 5
I just got this P Webley this week. Nothing like a Hammergun to be svelte. The engraving on English guns is so good, the European guns look a bit crude in comparison. Took it out rabbit hunting today, but the conditions are to bad to find any rabbits.

This is a 12 bore 2 1/2 inch Damascus made by Webley of London, with Stanton side locks. It is first quality from around 1889...

Attachments

• IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 10
Happy New Year Kirk,

I have owned English Hammer Guns with Damascus barrels in both black powder proof & nitro proof. It is very hard to find hammer guns in different bores than 12 bore here in the UK. A friend of mine has a Charles Boswell 16 bore hammer gun with 30 inch barrels made in 1895. I have tried to prise that gun out of him for 30 odd years, but he will not budge! We do get high end single barrel hammer guns over here, but they are always so so expensive. Your Phillip Webley would of been made in Birmingham, and would of had their London retail address engraved on It. London addresses always command higher prices! Also if the guns have London proof marks they are more sort after. It is only an English " SNOB " value thing over here. The London proof house is around 200 years older than the Birmingham proof house.

Best Wishes

Blackjack

Hello Kirk,

Phillip Webley guns were all made in Birmingham. Some of these guns were retailed in London, as P. Webley had a shop in London. Your gun might of been proofed in London, but more than likely your gun was proofed in Birmingham. I have a P. Webley 16 bore box - lock ejector with the same London address as your P. Webley hammer gun. P. Webley made guns in the " White " for many Companies in Gt. Britain. These guns in the " White " were made as double rifles, box - lock shotguns, side - lock shotguns and hammer - guns. These guns were always high quality and made to a very high standard. Check out your proof marks Kirk, and let me know.

Blackjack

I am out of town right now but it does have W C Scott proof marks. It is black powder proofed and has other markings. I will get more information when I get back. The book on this Shotgun said that the London address on the barrel did make this the first quality gun. As I mentioned earlier, it also has Stanton side locks...

Happy New Year Kirk,

I have owned English Hammer Guns with Damascus barrels in both black powder proof & nitro proof. It is very hard to find hammer guns in different bores than 12 bore here in the UK. A friend of mine has a Charles Boswell 16 bore hammer gun with 30 inch barrels made in 1895. I have tried to prise that gun out of him for 30 odd years, but he will not budge! We do get high end single barrel hammer guns over here, but they are always so so expensive. Your Phillip Webley would of been made in Birmingham, and would of had their London retail address engraved on It. London addresses always command higher prices! Also if the guns have London proof marks they are more sort after. It is only an English " SNOB " value thing over here. The London proof house is around 200 years older than the Birmingham proof house.

Best Wishes

Blackjack

Here is some data and the proof marks on the Webley...

DSCN3944.JPG DSCN3945.JPG Webley shotgun  b.jpg Webley shotgun  c.jpg

Hello Kirk,
The photo's are very good. The Webley & Scott or W & S Winged Bullet is not a proof mark. The V stamped on the Water Table is a London proof mark meaning VIEW in other words viewed after firing by the Proof Master. The P with crown is a London Proof Mark meaning PROOF.

W.W. Greener the Birmingham Gun & Rifle Maker always stamped his guns & rifles with an elephant. The W & S Winged Bullet was Webley & Scott's symbol and they always stamped their guns & rifles with that symbol, but this was not a proof mark. 13 means that the gun's bore measurments were .710 at time of proof. Some times the gun & rifle makers would stamp the gun with 13/1. A really lovely hammer gun, thanks for sharing.

Blackjack

Latest posts

Back