• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Pillar/Glass Bedding

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello! I have an L46 chambered in .222 and I am having problems shooting a consistent group. I know that the barrel isn't floated so I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge/advice on pillar/glass bedding the rifle!

G'day Kolton.

Before we jump in on advice relating to bedding can you give us a run down on what you have checked so far - aspects like:

- condition of the bore. Rifling look sharp and consistent throughout the barrel? No pits or rings?

- condition of the muzzle/crown. Looks even and symmetrical, no dings or burrs?

- what cartridges have you tried. Factory ammo? Reloads - if so what load/powder/projectiles?

- how did you shoot the rifle. Offhand, over a rolled up coat, bags, benchrest stand?

- what have the groups been like in size and shape, and at what range?

- how much shooting have you done in the past? Experienced or new to it?

Just trying to narrow down posssible causes.

Marcus

Yep, as Branx indicates, there are quite a number of things to check out before messing with the bedding.

I start with checking the snugness of the action screws. You don't mention what scope or mounts, so there is a possible problem area. And how thoroughly have you cleaned the barrel?

As I say, lots of variables to eliminate before jumping to the conclusion that bedding is the problem.

Another possibility is the ammo. None of my 222's get consistent groups with Hornady's SuperPerformance 50gr V-Max, yet do fine with other factory ammo (Winchester, Federal, Remington).

Back