• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

sako ID

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

mossin

I have this Sako rifle but have been unable to find any info on it. Its in 7.62x53R the action has Sako 1964with a logo with Tokyo and Suomi on the side of the action. It has a set trigger and a very heavy barrel with barrel weights.
Any information would be helpful as would like to also find out what bullet weight the sights are calibrated for etc.
Paul

Attachments

• sako.jpg
    sako.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
  • sako2.jpg
    sako2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 62
  • sako3.jpg
    sako3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 59
  • sako4.jpg
    sako4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 63
I've only seen these occasionally, but they pop up every now and then. You have a Sako based on a modified Mosin action which was built for the centerfire competition in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. This particular competition has been dropped from the Olympics quite some time ago and there is no longer any shooting event using a centerfire rifle -- only rimfires and air rifles.

I have no clue as to why Sako didn't use their L61R as the basis of this rifle; I suppose it is because they had produced a similar rifle for previous Olympics and simply stayed with that existing design.

As you will see its not a Mosin action the only part that from a Mosin is the modified bolt head.

Attachments

• DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30
Very interesting!! Curious as to why the sights are offset to the left & not over the bore centerline. Does anybody know what this Olympic shooting contest was called & the distances shot?

does any one have contact details for the sako factory so I can find out more about this rifle
Although the folks at the Sako factory are quite nice and courteous people there isn't anyone left there who has any knowledge of Sako's older production. I have spoken with one young gentleman there who has a personal interest in target shooting and the Mosins, but if he has any information on this rifle it would be as a shooter himself and nothing to do with his job at Sako. It won't hurt to send an email, however, since sometimes emails will get circulated among the staff and someone might chance to respond if they happen to take an interest in the subject.

Back