• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

1977 Vintage L461 in 223 with hang tags intact

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Shot or Not ?

• Don't Shoot it

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Shoot it

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

David Henzler

I always look for certain SAKO models in certain calibers. Trying to acquire the ones I like in the exact stock configuration I like (white outline pistol grip cap w/Bofors Steel barrels). My preference for Bofors is not only the marking but the steel, and the contour. The Bofors barrels were trimmer... as tapering started more quickly. Nice look.

A couple weeks ago I found a deal to NOT pass up. An L461 in 223. I doubt that they were ever made prior to Garcia. Seems not. Perhaps someone has the real information on when they became available. But not only is is 223, but unfired, and with hang tags. New Old Stock. Unfortunately the BOX is not with it. I haven't taken a set of high resolution photos of it. But will later. For now it's posted on my personal server. http://24.172.105.90/guns/sakos/Sako L461 223/index.html

I'm not considering shooting it at present. Although it's tempting. Not sure if I should flip it or keep it.. It's stock finish is unlike most Garcia vintage stocks... nice clean finish like pre-Garcia guns.

I have several 222's and a really accurate Remington 788 with Canjar trigger and Weaver T-16 scope. So no need to reduce it's value by dirtying the barrel.

Comments ?

Dave

An L461 in 223. I doubt that they were ever made prior to Garcia. Seems not. Perhaps someone has the real information on when they became available.
Yes, there were actually quite a few imported by FI. Curiously, Sako was building completed .223 rifles for Colt on the L461 action as early as 1964, but they didn't ship their own Vixen in that caliber until early 1966. So not only are there "pre-Garcia" .223's, but there are also Vixen .223's with Bofors-marked barrels. I have a "pre-Garcia" .223 Vixen, but it is not Bofors-marked.

Find me a Bofors with white outline pistol grip cap... minty only of course... Is there any other kind.

For the time being I'm happy with this Garcia. Mainly because it doesn't look like a Garcia.

"Gracia" or "Pre-Garcia" doesn't necessarily dictate what the rifle's features should be. Most changes happened over time & did not necessarily have anything to do with the importer, as your rifle is testament to. There was a thread here awhile back that discussed the "Garcia"- "Pre-Garcia" myth & it's exclusively American roots that is an interesting read. Lots of late FI imports that look just like the Garcia's, so don't go by importer alone when considering a rifle.

I'd imagine like any business that is purchased or bought out... migration is gradual. Changing the laser markings on the underside of the barrel is relatively easy... and may be a requirement of importation. However you are correct in that some of if not all of the changes were made over time.

I generalized in my comments about Garcia's. All that I have had pass through my hands had "sticky stocks", a pin on the left side of the bolt cap, no white outline pistol grip cap (which was absent from Firearms Intl guns as well). Of course shortly after Garcia took over the L series became the A1 with their change in bolt cap contour... which is when I lost interest in SAKO's.

I was in my late 20's and could barely afford the three that I owned. I am by no means an authority on SAKO rifles, but I know what I like, and what I look for. http://24.172.105.90/guns/sakos/index.html

This is my collection to date, and some photos of guns I had, but sold

D

We are in agreement that it's more about the features than the importer. Just saying it's not the importer that can be blamed for or dictates every change in production. The only thing Garcia "took over" was the importation of Sako rifles to the USA, not ownership or control of Sako. The rest of the world, which Garcia did not import to, has no idea what we Americans mean when we say "pre-Garcia". BTW, Garcia became the importer in late 1971. The A stamping didn't appear until around 1978 or 79, which denoted the addition of the protective bolt shroud to help deflect gases & debris away from the shooter's face should a case head separation or other mishap occur during firing. The L series did not have a "cap", but rather an exposed cocking piece. Very nice collection of Sakos you have there!!!!!!

Just for clarification, It's my understanding that you'll find some L-series rifles with shrouded bolts but no A-series rifles with unshrouded bolts.

This was because even though Stoeger announced the A-series actions in 1978-79 with a shrouded bolt, Sako already had an inventory of completed L-series receivers. As a result, Sako used up the L-series stamped receivers and unshrouded bolts before producing A-series stamped receivers. Therefore, Sako rifles produced up until around 1980 could have L-series stamped receivers and a shrouded bolt based on parts remaining in inventory. Is this correct?

The change in the company importing Sakos to the U.S. did not, in and of itself, impact the design or production of Sakos. But it stands to reason that some of the changes in the Sako line were likely influenced by what was in demand by the American importer, which was by far the largest outlet for Sako's production. Most people believe that the very slightly downgraded Model 72 was built in response to Garcia's attempts to compete in the U.S. market at a time when the U.S. Dollar was weak compared to foreign currencies. The same is believed to be true of the less polished bluing on standard grades starting a ~year or so after Garcia became the importer. But as Paulson properly points out, identifying guns with a higher polished blue or certain other features as "pre-Garcia" is a misnomer and tends to result in confusion and misunderstanding since many of those same guns will be marked with Garcia as the importer. And "pre-Garcia" and "Garcia" means nothing in Australia, Europe, or South Africa.

Sako rifles produced up until around 1980 could have L-series stamped receivers and a shrouded bolt based on parts remaining in inventory. Is this correct?
Without putting an exact year on it, yes, it is correct that many late rifles and actions marked "L61R" came with shrouded bolts. I'm sure there are also L579 and L461 actions with shrouded bolts, but I've seen a lot more of them in the long actions.

Thanks SC. It's helpful to know that little tidbit of Sako lineage history when you see a Sako rifle for sale designated as an L-series rifle but has a shrouded bolt.

Hello Sako Lovers,

Just to say that my L461 HB .222 Rem. rifle Serial No. 153502 came out of production in April 1978. This rifle has the pin through the bolt sleeve and NO bolt shroud! and has an outstanding figured stock. There is no way I would exchange this rifle for a L461 HB " .222 Rem. rifle { Bofors } with a plain Jane stock!

BEST wishes

Blackjack

has an outstanding figured stock.
Sako got hold of some exceedingly nice wood during this period. Some of the very best wood I've seen has been on late 1970's and early 1980's Sakos, both standards and Deluxes. Not every one, but many of them.

Back