• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Model 78 rear sight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cmjr

I've seen pics of the the Sako Model M78 rear sight made by Williams but all of my 78's have the front sight and are only drilled for the rear. Looking to put a rear sight on one of my 78's. Can[t find anything on Williams site. Their WDOS/WGOS rear sight base looks the part. Has anyone here updated or added a Williams sight on their 78? If so which components did you use? I would even be open to using something that would clamp to the top of the receiver dove tail.

Chuck: Check out the NEGC #N108 rimfire receiver sight @ Brownell's. Brownell #661-000-44WB. Clamps to rimfire dovetails & is a fully adjustable peep. You may have to change your front sight height, but you won't know until you try it. Good opportunity to put a fiber optic front on.

Hello cmjr,
As far as I know, and from a couple of Stoeger era Sako's I have owned, as well as the dealer catalogs, the rear barrel sight for Sako rifles, (to include the Model 78) that either came with the sight or were drilled for it utilized the Williams "Guide" sight (WGOS). I would just contact Midway USA or Williams, and provide them with the dimensions (Barrel diameter, screw hole distance, etc). I have several collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. I could never understand why Sako went with such a generic, cheap aluminum sight for a high-end firearm. The base and blade sight will set you back a whopping $25 or so. Carl.

I had rear sights on both my 78s, a HB and Sporter. It would appear that the WGOS is the right choice. The HB had a low base and the Sporter had a medium base, interestingly I could not get the Sporter sight down low enough to hit the target at 25 yards. I did not spend much time trying to figure it out, both rifles wear scopes now.

Last edited:
Thought I would update this post. Ordered the Williams sight, part# 962-607-000WB and a sight blade that matched. All in right at 30.00 with shipping. Fit was perfect, no gaps around the base, correct hardware and it returned the rifle to stock which is all I wanted. Now need to take it out and see if my choice of blade was correct.

Interesting and informative: correct part number on the open Williams, etc.

In terms of receiver peep sights I have used the following two: first a Williams and now a Sako (very similar to the peep sight for the centerfires, except with straight rather than tapered dovetails).

DSC014847.JPG

6149.JPG

8103.JPG

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that the 22LR sporter barrel contour fits nice with the components I bought.

Ok thanks which blade did you get
This is what I have on my m78 hornet

Attachments

• IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 42
Thought I would update this post. Ordered the Williams sight, part# 962-607-000WB and a sight blade that matched. All in right at 30.00 with shipping. Fit was perfect, no gaps around the base, correct hardware and it returned the rifle to stock which is all I wanted. Now need to take it out and see if my choice of blade was correct.
That’s great so that is for the 22lr sporter barrel?

Back