• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Buy Sako Grey Wolf or Build off 700 action

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

JollyD

Excuse me if this has been discussed before: I have only been on the site for awhile, but have really appreciated the well thought out and experience support I have gotten for my questions/concerns and have one more for you. I recently bought a L461 in 30-06 and all though I love these actions and the rifle was a good buy, it just "didn't do it for me" so sold it to a friend.

I am geared up with quality reloading equipment, powder and bullets for 260 Remington. I like the round, though it can be a finicky round, the velocity, energy, recoil and accuracy (when tweaked) simply fits my wants and needs

Recently retired I have a small and just sufficient income, a new 37 acre farm with 750 sqft cabin in the Shenandoah Valley of Virgina with about 10 acres of pasture and the rest hilly timber. I am trying to simplify my life and get possessions down to what I NEED not what I want. I have no need for "safe queens" as much as I may want some. So I have decided to get firearms down to one shotgun and one centerfire rifle.

I am down to a decent 20 gauge and a mediocre Remington 700 VTR in 260 Rem that I got in trade awhile back. It is a mediocre rifle that I have tweaked ( tuned stock, Timney trigger and ran Tubb Final Finish) to 1-2" groups at 100 yrds. And although that may be OK for hunting, I am of the ilk that believe a rifle (under ideal conditions) should be able to shoot EXACTLY where I aim it: under SUB-MOA on a good rest and bench. In other words the gun needs to do it's job when I do mine. I need to either build off the 700 or get a quality gun (ie new SAKO) It will cost me $900 to put on a new barrel and stock, including gunsmiths fees. I have about and should be able to get about $650-750 in the Remington. I can get a Sako Grey Wolf NIB delivered for under $1,400. I will not walking and stalking so have no problem with a gun up to 9 pounds or so, but don't want it too heavy or too light.

SO FINALLY: I need a 260 Remington capable of shooting 140 grain, high BC bullets sub MOA in ideal conditions. I need a tool, a gun that I can put in the truck while in the pastures when working. A gun I am not going to fret over every little nick or scratch.

95% hunting and paper-punching shots will be 100 yards or less, yet want on the very rare occasion can reach out to 300+ for that damn coyote or two that are causing such a problem around here. I am not into the long range hunting craze but would like one I can feel comfortable if the situation arises.

So in your opinion will the Grey Wolf in 260 fit the bill? Is the 22" barrel and light relative weight be a detriment? Or should I get a Bartliet barrel exactly as I want and good stock for the 700 action? I'll have approximately $1600 total into the Remington after the build. Or, as I am leaning, should sell the Remington, take the $700 and lay down the extra $700 on the Grey Wolf? Money is not really an issue, that is, I have the cash to invest up to $1600 into the one gun.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is so totally beating a dead horse.

I own several custom Remington 700's and because of the components used to build them they will shoot circles around any Sako I've owned or own currently. At the end of the day the Sako is still a factory rifle built to a set of commercial standards. Final cost it's basically a wash, but final value is strongly in favor of the Sako. Will a factory Sako out shoot a custom rifle assembled with the best components? No way, but in function and resale I would buy the Sako. Custom rifles are worth the value of their components the Sako will hold a large percentage of its purchase price.

As for pride of ownership, if that's worth anything to you, hands down the Sako.

Thanks JR that was my thinking as well. And I think that was my concern. As we all know it is seldom you come across the "perfect" rifle. Even if I had the build I think eventually there will be a time where I will find something wrong with or I will get the bug to do something different, even though I am trying to stick to the one gun solution. It seems the Grey Wolf would be a good tool and as you say maintain a certain degree of value.

As always it seems there is thoughtful knowledgeable advice here. It's cool that at 65 can still get new knowledge and/or validation for mine. Thanks.

As a side note: I think too I have a line on decent deal on a NightForce compact 2.5-10x32 (12" and 19 oz) with a fine Illuminated International Hunter Reticle. Think it would be a good match for the hunting conditions here. LowX for close and heavy wooded as well as 10x for 100-200 will be fine for dear or that damn coyote as he's coming across neighbors pasture to try and get into my hen house.

Latest posts

Back