• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako-Anschutz

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Wow! Thanks for posting, Topgear. These are the first really concise photos I've ever seen of the elusive Anschutz-Sako. I think they may be even scarcer than the Holland & Holland Sakos.

Confused, I know I'm easily befuddled but I've owned 3 1532's over the years in 222. Two had the double set trigger and all were Anschutz actions. Did Anschutz just arbitrarily throw in some L46 actions into the factory and say try these? What's the story on how these variants came to be?

I thought the model with the Anschutz-made action was a 1533, not 1532? But I have only a passing familiarity with Anschutz, so that may not be right.

As the story goes (and it sounds plausible), when the .222 came out and was clearly becoming a very popular cartridge, Anschutz had no action which was suitable for the new cartridge. So they purchased Sako L46's to build their early .222's on. Subsequently, they designed and began building their own action for the .222 and ceased buying Sako L46's.

This is much like Sako's own use of the FN Mauser for long action rounds prior to designing and building their own long action. In fact there's a long list of gun makers in Europe who used some other manufacturer's action to fill a hole (at least temporarily) in their own line.

Last edited:
Another good find John. I have heard of Savage-Anschutz collaborations before, but not Sako-Anschutz.

Just a suggestion - it might be worth saving and posting some of the photos as well as posting the link - the threads here on SCC will far outlive the adverts, and we know how highly SCC is viewed as a definitive reference on all things Sako. It would be a shame for someone to finally find a thread to shed light on a n obscure subject such as this only to be dissappointed that the advert (and therefore photos) no longer exist.

Our internet connection is shaped at the moment (read slow) so could only downLoad the following photos.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Marcus

Wow! Thanks for posting, Topgear. These are the first really concise photos I've ever seen of the elusive Anschutz-Sako. I think they may be even scarcer than the Holland & Holland Sakos.

Stone,

I didn't even know H&H played with Sako actions - if anyone has some photos another thread would be great!

Marcus

Just a suggestion - it might be worth saving and posting some of the photos as well as posting the link - the threads here on SCC will far outlive the adverts, and we know how highly SCC is viewed as a definitive reference on all things Sako.
Yeah that's a good idea for sure.

Deersako - that was a while back. I wonder if it has sold? You need to find me that L461 7.62x39 you saw in a shop once and send me a pic and phone number to buy :D

"I didn't even know H&H played with Sako actions - if anyone has some photos another thread would be great!" said Braxhunter

In the early 70s Holland and Holland offered the "Shot and Regulated Rifle" resulting from "the co-operation between Holland and Holland and Sako of Finland".

I handled one at the time and still have the pamphlet on it. It used either the L579 or the L61 barrelled action and was offered in five calibres-.243W; .270W; 7mm Remington Magnum .300 Winchester Magnum and .308W (7.62 NATO). All five calibres were regulated for a specified bullet weight with a 200 yard zero, although the rear sight was adjustable both laterally and vertically.

Standard Sako dovetail grooves were retained, and "a specially selected German swing mount constructed specifically for this rifle" was also available in addition to the standard Sako mounts.

Other than regulating it, and perhaps finishing the stock, H&H appear to have had little part in its actual manufacture as it "is stocked from selected wood to our specification"-possibly by Sako themselves?

Shortly afterwards H&H switched their allegiance and began offering the "Holland and Holland Shot and Regulated Rifle" as "a result of co-operation between Holland and Holland and the famous F.F.V.-Husqvarna Company of Sweden"!

Surprisingly this had a fixed rear sight, regulated for a specified bullet weight/distance, with a 100 yard zero for .243W and 200 yards for the remaining calibres. .308W wasn't offered, but 30-06 Springfield was available instead.

Terry H.

"I didn't even know H&H played with Sako actions - if anyone has some photos another thread would be great!" said Braxhunter

In the early 70s Holland and Holland offered the "Shot and Regulated Rifle" resulting from "the co-operation between Holland and Holland and Sako of Finland".

I handled one at the time and still have the pamphlet on it. It used either the L579 or the L61 barrelled action and was offered in five calibres-.243W; .270W; 7mm Remington Magnum .300 Winchester Magnum and .308W (7.62 NATO). All five calibres were regulated for a specified bullet weight with a 200 yard zero, although the rear sight was adjustable both laterally and vertically.

Standard Sako dovetail grooves were retained, and "a specially selected German swing mount constructed specifically for this rifle" was also available in addition to the standard Sako mounts.

Other than regulating it, and perhaps finishing the stock, H&H appear to have had little part in its actual manufacture as it "is stocked from selected wood to our specification"-possibly by Sako themselves?

Shortly afterwards H&H switched their allegiance and began offering the "Holland and Holland Shot and Regulated Rifle" as "a result of co-operation between Holland and Holland and the famous F.F.V.-Husqvarna Company of Sweden"!

Surprisingly this had a fixed rear sight, regulated for a specified bullet weight/distance, with a 100 yard zero for .243W and 200 yards for the remaining calibres. .308W wasn't offered, but 30-06 Springfield was available instead.

Terry H.

After Stone's post yesterday I did a Google search and found a few images.

Perhaps I am missing something, but to me "regulating" a bolt action rifle just sounds like zeroing a scope - unless the work involved was to ensure that the chosen load shot to point of aim with the open sight setting corresponding to the selected shooting distance.

Marcus

Yeah that's a good idea for sure.

Deersako - that was a while back. I wonder if it has sold? You need to find me that L461 7.62x39 you saw in a shop once and send me a pic and phone number to buy :D

A disposal store in Cairns, around '96 '97. That's all I've got I'm afraid John.

I take it "probably still for sale" = optimistic asking price?

Marcus

If it were more like opportunistic pricing, I'd have another hole in my pocket !
From memory around 2.2k.
I'll make a call for you if you like Marcus ?

Exactly what you would expect when the sire was Sako and the dam was Anschutz. A very high-bred hybrid.

Hi all. Very interesting to read up on the Sako-Anschutz rifles. I have a Sako-Anschutz 222 and have heard that it is fairly rare. Does anyone have some insight that they can share? 20161227_102408.jpg 20161227_102317.jpg

Attachments

• 20161227_102439.jpg
    20161227_102439.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the photos, Oliver!

This rifle is perhaps among the scarcest of the "proprietary" Sakos -- rifles built on Sako actions and sold under a name other than Sako. It would be hard to say much more about your rifle, other than that Anschutz has always had a reputation for making very accurate rifles, so the Sako-Anschutz should be no exception. The Sako factory records are of no help since during that era Sako only recorded the date that an action-only was inspected, but not to whom or where it was shipped. So far as anyone knows, the Sako-Anschutz was only made in .222 Rem.

Welcome to the forum Oliver. Not a lot more to add than what is above in this thread. I've seen a couple of them over the years but not in great numbers. It's interesting that they took the effort to modify the dovetails to standard .22 dovetails. Some photos below from the rifle in the 1st link. I would imagine they would be a great rifle. Anschutz used a lot of other manufactures actions for centrefire rifles such as krico and savage as well in the larger calibres.

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg