• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Gunbroker

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I did see that one. Looks like the bidding has zoomed up since I saw it. Nice condition, but unexceptional otherwise that I can see.

Gunbroker Sakos at the moment are crazy to me. Except for that .218 Bee, I think there's a nicer gun, cheaper, in nearly every caliber and finish at Rodger's shop. I hope I didn't just inspire Rodger to raise prices.

(That said, every so often I do see a good to great deal at Gunbroker.)

Still $1925.00. I'm curious to see how it ends, but I already consider it to be a bit of an outlier--selling price higher than normal market value, which to me would be about $1400-1600.00

I agree about GB. Not many bargains lately, that's for sure.

I've also noticed that the .308 lefty custom has been sitting there for a long time. It seems that one would be a good candidate for an original stock or for some one who needs a left hand version.:confused:

It is one of the firearms that the Standard Catalog of Firearms marks with an icon signifying continuing collectors interest with upwards climbing prices. I agree that 1600.00 is a good guesstimate right now for a real clean Wolf. Pretty sure too we will see 1925.00 a bit further down the road.

In the past couple of years I've seen a few Finnwolves (mainly .308's) at auctions in Sweden going for the equivalent of USD 400 - 600. Not in any spectacular finish, sometimes with obvious signs of wear, but some came with scopes (including one with a claw mount). Maybe not as desired here as in the US?

/cmk

There's a .308 and a .243 on there right now that have hand made stocks(I think they're ugly) The .308 as a really low number and for the life of me I can't figure out why it's still sitting there. :confused:
C/D

CMK - before I moved to America, I'd never seen a lever-action outside of a cowboy movie. Lever action still sort of make me think of High Chaparral. Americans feel the same way about mannlicher stocks I think (which I, on the other hand, love).

Well, we can probably blame it on cultural heritage. I don't find lever actions particularly handsome either. However, being of the left-handed persuasion, I have in the past seriously contemplated buying one, since they usually have rather straight stocks, and are without cast and cheek pieces. Sometimes descent bolt actions are hard to come by... unless you wish to buy something in the plastic/stainless section.

/cmk

Well, they seem a lot cheaper in Sweden than here, so you probably will do best looking there. I think I saw one on a Finnish site a few days ago - maybe on Armoria Tampere.

I've done a bit of comparison shopping on European sites. First of all, most rifles offered for sale in Europe are fairly well-used. I think this makes sense because most Europeans, due to various restrictions and licensing, find it practical to only own one or just a few rifles. This means that their (typically only) rifle sees all of the use, whereas Americans tend to own several (or lots) of guns, so their guns tend to see less use individually. Hence, lower prices due to poorer condition (in a general sense).

Also, small calibers seem to be less in demand in Europe than in the U.S. Perhaps this is because there are activities like colony varmints and lots of predators to hunt in the U.S., whereas not so much in Europe. On the other hand, large calibers seem to bring a premium in Europe. This may be because many Europeans buying large calibers are destine for Africa, which is much cheaper to get to from Europe than from the U.S. Or perhaps it is because big game hunting in Europe is largely limited to more affluent people, therefore they can and do buy more expensive guns.

There's nothing hard and fast about these observations, and circumstances (like currency exchange rates, firearms laws, hunting regulations, etc.) which can influence the price of guns are always changing.

bjorn240, I've seen one on ase-ami.fi, at €860 which is about the same in $. Looks well taken care of: http://ase-ami.fi/?item=1151

I also spoke to the owner about an AV he has in 9,3x62 (it's a lefty, sorry), but it seemed like I had to travel to Finland to collect it myself, as there's a lot of red tape with the postal services handling 'dangerous goods' *sigh*. Anyway I found another in Sweden.

/cmk

stonecreek, in addition to your observations, I think that (at least in some European countries) the laws limiting the number of guns you can own - and the hassle of getting a permit - makes for purchasing long-lasting rifles in do-it-all calibres, like .30-06, 8x57, 7x64 and .308.

Thus, probably a lot of deer and foxes are shot .30-06, and some boar and moose with 6,5x55.

/cmk

Decades it was much more difficult to find a Finnwolf in Scandinavia and Europe than in the rest oft the world. Several reasons for, the gun was really expensive, lever actions are not so common here, nearly no of the few owners was interested to give it away. Now the Finnwolf faces a new time. The old owners dying or can't hunt longer, but the last 2 generations of hunters don't know the gun. Actual main stream are Blaser, Sako 85, Merkel, Sauer, plastic stocks, manual cocking systems, lot of offered spare and changing parts like triggers, scope mounts, stocks ... the market for the old Finnwolf is decreasing very fast. Thats why the prices are going down.

Last edited:
cmk-
Followed your link and saw a .243 and several more .308's - one of which was a left hand Sako stock, not a custom. I've never seen one before that appeared to be original; couldn't make out the number.

C/D

cmk-
Followed your link and saw a .243 and several more .308's - one of which was a left hand Sako stock, not a custom. I've never seen one before that appeared to be original; couldn't make out the number.

C/D
I've seen a few LH factory stocks on Finnwolfs, but most of them seem to have been distributed in Europe. I'm a righty who naturally shoots from the left shoulder, but I prefer RH bolts. A couple of years ago a friend in Europe found a brand new factory L61R RH stock with a LH cheekpiece which he was kind enough to purchase for me. I now have it on a .25-06 barreled action where it is both beautiful and functional.

Then there's that weird "ambi-stock" Finnwolf with a cheek rest on both sides. I haven't seen one of those in quite awhile. Don't care for them. Wasn't that supposed to be the basis for the VL73?

There are 2 Finnwolf's on Gunbroker, at the moment-a .243 and a .308 both with "custom" left hand stocks. Been there forever.
C/D

Latest posts

Back