• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Show us your knives!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

L61R

SCC President
SCC Board Member
This is the thread where you can show us all your pointy items. May it be daggers, Arkansas toothpicks, pocket knives or swords. Knock yourselves out!

I´ll start by quiting topgear from an thread the other day:

"It would be good to have a section for stuff we do related to sako's but not directly like hunting rigs, knifes, hunting dogs, fishing (which many of us do when on hunting trips) etc. But maybe that's getting too far off topic for SCC? Anyway a thread at least on knifes would be really cool. Sako did have some knifes too didn't they? i.e. the ones that came with one of the anniversary models?"

Well I really do like knives but don´t own many. I have a small variety of pocket knives and fixed blades which I use as tools. I don´t collect knives except for those labelled with the Sako logo.

I didn´t know that any knives were part of any Anniversary package though? I know that Sako sold a few labelled and marked for the 90th Anniversary but that´s all I know. Perhaps someone can enlighten me and us about that?

I do have one of these and it was a gift from the CEO of Sako Sweden who happend to come across my paraphernalia site. I will post pics at a later date as I´m away from home.

But I do have another one embossed with a Sako logo. I have seen a handful of these knives posted online and I´ve seen them depicted in an old catalog I have, but this is only the second I´ve seen for sale since I started out with Sakos almost 15 years ago. Thanks to a collector and member here I became the owner of this one a few years back!

It´s new and unused and has slight wear from storage but just a few smudges really on the sheath.
The model is a traditional Finnish puukko, or knife, made by a well known Finnish maker called Kuusamo. Simple but very good to use.

There are a few varieties of these Sako labelled knives and I hope to become owner of more.

The blade is carbon steel and it´s VERY sharp.

Here are a few lousy pics:

sakoknife.JPG sakoknife1.JPG sakoknife2.JPG sakoknife3.JPG sakoknife4.JPG

Here's my Trimfile Trio (originally by Bassett). It's shown beside a .338 WM case for perspective. I can't tell you how handy this little knife is and how many things you can do with it -- including carry it in dress pants when/where you might not carry a larger knife. It opens bottles, files nails, cleans spark plugs, drives screws, and slices a ribeye steak in a pinch.;) I've carried one of these since I was a teenager. My long-time buddies who used to laugh at it years ago now simply turn to me holdinga non-screwcap beer with a plaintiff look and say "can I borrow your little knife?" DSC00804.JPG

P.S. The TSA owns a number of these knives. I know because they've taken several away from me.:(

Last edited:
That sako knife if super cool Jim! Hard to believe TSA is threatened by those little knives Stonecreek. I wonder if they all get re-sold on ebay!

Well you saw my everyday pocket knife on the other thread and below is my hunting knife for the last 5 or so years. Its a Case XX knife and I've been pretty impressed with it. It wasn't too expensive and has held up well. My son wanted one as well and his is only about 6 months old and doesn't get as much use. So you are seeing new and old!
KnifeCase.JPG
I also have a smaller version of the case for rabbits and foxes in the same style. They have been great knives and I would really recommend them.

I've also got a couple of custom knifes from a young Australian knife maker - Tyler Atkinson. See https://www.facebook.com/TJAtkinsonHandmadeKnivesAustralia I had planned on using these when the case knocks up but the young fella is getting too well known now and they will probably be collectors items! I think he was 16 or 17 when he made these.
knifeAtkinson1.JPG
For a large knife it has great balance and fits in the hand great. Its got some nice features like a tapered tang to help with the balance.
knifeAtkinson2.JPG
This one felt so good I had to buy another smaller knife for skinning foxes and rabbits!!
knifeAtkinson3.JPG

But I haven't used them yet. I have also made a couple of knock about smaller knifes myself for rabbits and foxes using old circular saw blades, which I re-heat with a mapp gun and dunk in old motor old. They hold a great edge and work pretty good. Below is the home made job alongside my small case knife.

knifesmall.JPG

So that's my hunting bladeware!

I find knives pretty interesting. Like the one you show Jim has a certain style unique to your area of the world. Many knifes are like this. The three blade "stockman" pocket knife in Australia, the mercator possum skinning knife in NZ etc

DSC00806.JPG

Maybe not that interesting to seasoned knife enthusiasts, but here are a couple of knives made for Leupold that I've found pretty serviceable. The upper one is a proprietary knife branded Leupold, but I can't remember how it was marketed. The lower one is the knife which came with the Leupold Century model 3-9X scope produced in 2007 to commemorate Leupold's 100th Anniversary. Both knives are Chinese, but seem to be a couple of notches above the "ninjas" which you see on gun show tables and in the Dollar General-type stores. Anyway, the connection to Leupold, their compact size, and their reasonably decent quality make them pretty good "users".

These were all made by a long-time friend. His mark is SAK, which is unfortunate because on the web SAK means Swiss Army Knife. He does very nice work and the knives are far better than the lousy picture of them. KNIVES.JPG

Here is my best, a Kauffman hand made knife from Helena, Montana. Dave used to make a fantastic knife and this is one of his first attempts at engraving on the hilt. His knives or of exceptional quality and workmanship...

DSCN1188.jpg

DSCN1195.jpg

DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

Beautiful knives!

So nice to see custom work of such quality. I could easily see myself owning several of those.

16b410!

The dive knife looks very cool too! I used to scubadive a lot and have a sweet-tooth for quality dive knives.

And to all posters here, don't refrain from posting any links to good websites, especially custom makers.

Jim

Kirk beautiful knife. what type of burl wood are the scales / handle made from? Those green colours look amazing.

I was wondering about those scales myself. That has to be the best looking custom knife I ever saw.

So I´ve finally found some time to take a few pics of my pointy stuff.

First out is my daily wearer, a Case Triple X Sod Buster which I got as a gift from a good American friend.

I really like this type of knife and it´s very tactile so to speak. I use it for all kind of domestic chores and it´s in my pocket whenever I am onshore.
IMG_3889.jpg

Next out is my daily wearer when hunting. An American made Schrade PH1, which is one of the best knives I´ve handled. Perfect for my grip and I love it!

IMG_3891.jpg

Try not to hate me for the next one! :D

On longer hunting trips, I like to carry a second large knife in my backpack and this is actually not a bad one. American made with a logo you all know. In spite of that, not a bad knife. Easy to sharpen and I use it for all kind of work when I don´t want to risk the blade on my Schrade.
IMG_3894.jpg

Next one is a flea market find I will fix up when I get the time for it. A German made "Gentleman´s pocket knife". Solingen steel and comes with a nice leather sheath.

IMG_3893.jpg

Then comes my two Collector´s knives from Sako.

First is the one made for their 90th Anniversary and it is a gift from the CEO of Sako Sweden. Thank You Very Much Anders!!:)

IMG_3895.jpg

The second one is my older but still new and unused Sako labelled knife made by Kuusamo in Finland. I have seen a few variations of these but not many.
Carbon Steel blade.

IMG_3896.jpg IMG_3897.jpg

Last out is a typical Swedish pocket knife which I use as a spare knife for tougher jobs. Stainless steel blade made by EKA in Sweden.

IMG_3892.jpg

Jim

Well I picked a couple of knives last week that have turned out to be quiet a find. My littlest bloke just loves knives and swords and collects them like I do sakos! He likes carrying a knife around when we go hunting until he is old enough to use a rifle and wanted one of his own like his brothers posted above. Anyway I thought I'd look for some larger style heavy duty knives that would suit him for hacking at things generally. I got a couple of well used knives for $75 each. They looked solid in the photo's and slightly different style which I thought he would like. So I thought why not and brought them both. They were advertised as 'Pacific Cutlery', a brand I've never heard anything of. Anyway they arrived well used so I thought I would clean them up on the polishing wheel and rub some beeswax/Dubin into the sheath etc to make them look good. They looked well made knives and polished up well. They also had some pretty cool markings - one a lions head and the other a skull as shown below.

Samson1.JPG Fer_de_Lance_1.JPG
Anyway as they seemed pretty good quality and with those unique markings I thought I'd do a bit of an internet search and see if I could find anything out about them. Turns out they are actually pretty good quality knives. The one marked Fer de Lance I found here http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/...570.aspx?ReturnUrl=Pacific-Cutlery.aspx?Page= and got a shock when it was listed and sold for $445US :eek:

But the real surprise was the one that had the Lions head. It also has 'Samson' written underneath it and it turns out that the knife was made/designed by a guy named Jody Samson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_Samson The real knock out for the young fella is that Jody Samson also made the sword used in the movie "Conan the Barbarian":cool: So my young bloke is pretty impressed to say the least with his new knife! It turns out this brand has had a few name changes over the years from Balisong, Pacific Cutlery and now are known as Benchmade. I've never heard of any of them until this week though. Anyway a photo of the knives next to a .375 for size comparison. Has any of the members in the US ever come across this brand? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

TomsKnives.JPG

here is my bayonet knife. made by WWII vet after the war. also came with this 1943 oil can.

Attachments

• 000_0790.jpg
    000_0790.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 000_0791.jpg
    000_0791.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 000_0793.jpg
    000_0793.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 10
I own Muela knives from Spain since the 80's. I have about fifty Muela knives & this is my most recent, It is called Kudu.
They have a bit of following over here as well. The few I have looked at were well made. They had some nice ones with olive tree scales that looked super.

He is a lucky boy that is for sure! Those two sakos should see him set for just about anything for the rest of his days if needed. Two great classic calibres.

image.jpeg Thanks Guys! Some really nice knives out there for sure! And guns too!

I suspect your son is very happy now, 2greggs? :)

I have been lucky lately when it comes to sharp objects. Went to a local fleamarket and picked up what I thought was just a cool knife.

I was really surprised to learn that it was made between 1895 and 1936! I thought it was made much more recently.

It's a Singleton Priestman made in Sheffield, England and is a knife/fork/knife made of steel and brass.

You can take it apart for your meals too!

Just a few days after I found a Rawson Brothers knife, a Sommelier's knife also made of steel in Sheffield.

Made between 1914 and 1946 according to a British collector.

So now I am searching for more knives made in Sheffield.

Enjoy!

Jim

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Jim -

I was pleased to see an Eskilstuna product down there at the end... I was scrolling through your post, and started to get terribly frightened that you had knives from over the sea.

I most frequently use three Swedes and a Frenchman:
- Mora Clipper carbon steel
- Mora #2 carbon steel
- Fällkniven H1 in 3g
- Opinel no. 6 carbon steel (really quite nice for light, around-the-house work)

I would like a Sami knife with a curly birch handle at some point, too.

Last edited:
Bjorn, that's a nice range you've got!

Fällkniven are really good knives and I may purchase one, one day.

But you can rest assured that I have domestic knives!

These are all made in Eskilstuna and ranges from fairly old to almost, but not quite new.

Jim

image.jpeg

Ah, much better. The sight of three Eka 38s makes me think of my grandfather, who was an electrician for SJ for many years. He always had one in his toolbox, one in the shed at the summer cottage, and one in his pocket.

The one in his pocket was reserved for prickig korv (a type of delicious Swedish sausage, for the non-Swedes here), I think.

The H1 is a nice knife - very good edge holding, wickedly sharp from the factory, good ergonomics, etc. But it is entirely without charm. Like a stainless steel, synthetic stock rifle. Nothing but a tool.

Back