• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Peep sights

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

NMac

Can anyone direct me where I might be able to buy some peep (or aperture sights) for my Sako Hunter? thanks

Hello Sako People,

Can any one tell me when Sako first started manufacturing Peep - Sights?
I know there are 3 types Mk 1 Mk2 & Mk3. I have 1 & 3 but not 2.
I know that the late 1940's & early 1950; rifles had the scollope cut into the back of the rear dovetail, so that is an indication that the Mk 1 Peep - Sights were around then.

Regards BJ AKA Mike The Limey

Mike,
My guess would be right from the start,
The first Sako rifles from 1930's had peep or diopter sights and this was the normal configuration for most finnish rifles of the time.
You are right in thinking there are 3 types, but the first type has two small variants with the base, most would not notice.
The second type is easily found on Ebay if you are chasing one.
L-46

The notch in the rear dovetail was also to locate the scope mounts, you could remove the scope hunt with open sights and them re fit the scope and have a it very close to zero again.

Hello L 46,

Can you tell me what the 2 small variants are on the base of the Mk 1 Peep-sight? Thanks. Also I am on the hunt for a Mk 2 Peep-Sight!

BJ

Mike,
The front corners on the base are square and not rounded or radius, also another small change. I would need some pics to show it.
Do you have a pic of your first type?

L-46

Hello L-46,

The front corners on my Mk 1 Peep-Sight? are rounded and not square! I think I might of shot my self in the foot. I will try to post a photo.

Mike BJ

Hello L46,

If you look at the post Variations in Peep - Sights, Sight Hoods and Front Sights posted by JamesFromJersey April 5th 2014 he has photographed the Mk1 Mk2 & mk3 Peep - Sights together and the Mk1 clearly shows the front base rounded not square? Can you throw some light on this please.

Mike BJ

Hello L46,

Thank you for that news. Were there many 1st pattern square Peep-sights made, and are they very rare? God one is constantly learning more about Sako and their products!

Regards BJ

I would say they are few on the ground, as there are thousands of the rounded first type in the US.
The square type may even date back as far as the L42!
but who knows for sure.
I did used to own one but have not seen it for years, hope it is not lost somewhere.

Back