• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Looking to sell my L579 Forester

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

puma1824

Looking to sell my Sako 243 L579 Forester (No# 53xxx) with Bofers Steel barrel . This was my father's riffle which was barely used and passed to me because of little to no use. I've NEVER used it myself and don't intend on ever using it. As a result I'd like to sell it but not sure what it's worth. It's in very good condition and has been in storage in a foam padded case most it's life. Any idea what I should be asking?

NOTE: Serial # is intact just edited out of the pics.

UPDATED PICS with removed scope. This thing is very clean.

Sako-L579-Forester-243-Updated-25.jpg

More pics here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30528147@N02/sets/72157649744047004/

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The big question would be the condition of the metal. Storing a firearm in a closed foam case can lead to disaster. Nothing takes more value from a firearm than rust. The Bofors marking and serial number indicates a Pre-Garcia Sako. Yours is a Standard grade sporter in a very common cartridge, nothing rare or highly sought after, but would be an excellent candidate for someone embarking on a Sako collection, provided the steel was properly dressed for storage. An exact copy built around the same time (S/N 54,7xx) was my second Sako some years ago. I paid 450.00 for mine, they have roughly doubled in value since.

The big question would be the condition of the metal. Storing a firearm in a closed foam case can lead to disaster. Nothing takes more value from a firearm than rust. The Bofors marking and serial number indicates a Pre-Garcia Sako. Yours is a Standard grade sporter in a very common cartridge, nothing rare or highly sought after, but would be an excellent candidate for someone embarking on a Sako collection, provided the steel was properly dressed for storage. An exact copy built around the same time (S/N 54,7xx) was my second Sako some years ago. I paid 450.00 for mine, they have roughly doubled in value since.

The metal is in excellent condition. No rust, no pitting, nothing. Looks great. So would mine be worth around $900 today?

Please see pics I just posted

Last edited:
First take off that scope (it doesn't add to the rifle anyway) & those Weaver bases & rings that someone put on it & check to see if they drilled & tapped the top of the Sako dovetails to attach those bases (unnecessarily). If it has been drilled & tapped a buyer should be made aware or he will probably return it for his money back. Many Sakos have been devalued by the unknowing from this drilling & tapping mutilation. Yours may be just pressed on the dovetail taper which would not harm the action. Either way GET THEM OFF!! No knowledgable buyer will want those Weaver bases anyway. Sakos were made for one piece ringmounts that clamp directly to the dovetails. If drilled & tapped $900 would be a very ambitious number. I personally devalue drilled & tapped Sakos $200 less than what they would bring otherwise. If not drilled & tapped you could be lucky & get slightly more.

When I said "nothing takes more value from a firearm than rust" I may have been too quick on the trigger. Extra holes will certainly kill resale value as well. Take off the cheap glass, and even worse mounts, and hope the top of the action is as clean as the rest of the rifle. And remember that I did say that they roughly doubled in value. But a real clean Pre-Garcia will always bring some nice money.

PUMA welcome to the forum.
From the photos you provided, you have a very nice gun.
To get the maximum value from you gun, post it on gunbroker for two weeks, and end the auction late Sunday night. The selling fees are about 2%.

If you remove the tasco scope and the mounts and have photos of the top of the receiver to prove the gun has not been molested, you should get your best price.

Good luck and thanks for posting here.

Just a question. Has the serial number been intentionally marred or am I seeing things? That could be very detrimental to a sale.

Serial # is still intact on the rifle..I just edited it out of the pics. Full Serial is on the rifle :)

I'm happy to report that the mounts came off nice and clean (see updated pics). NO drilling, NO tapping, NO marring, nothing :) Can't even tell they were installed. I will take updated pics tomorrow during the day.

See pics for condition.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating the pics. My own 0.243 Sako L579 Forester with Bofors marking (Serial No. 51***) is IDENTICAL in appearance and condition to the rifle featured. It had been stored following the death of the first owner when I purchased it from his executors in 1975, who only wanted a token amount for it.
It had fired 9 rounds and came with the remaining boxed 91 rounds of Norma 100 grain Factory ammunition, along with a Sako 100/200 metre peepsight......

Very nice!! The updated pics show more of the things a serious buyer would want to see. That is a very clean L579 & should easily bring top of the market for 243 standard sporters.

To the experts, is it common to find a forester that age that doesn't have the plumb hue on the receiver from aging? I'm always accustomed to seeing the plumb hue on the receiver for pre-Garcias. Thanks

Sakogun,

I am no expert but I rarely see the plumb hue on pre Garcia. Actually out of all the pre Garcia's that I have, I only have 1 with this condition. I do however have several post Garcia's that have the plumb hue. They all see to be in the later AIII and early AV's.

And in reference to this gun, it looks great and would make an excellent addition to any collection. If it was a 22-250 or 308, it would already have a new home. I am pretty loaded with .243's

Back