• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

.17 rem bofors - impossible?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

topgear

Sako-addicted
Check this one out http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=36840

It has the bofors style (pre garcia for US members) stock with grip cap but is in .17 rem. It would have to be a re-barrel wouldn't it? That serial number would put it in the bofors range.

Would there ever have been a L461 .17 rem with a bofors stamped barrel?

Thanks Topgear, interesting question! I guess my next question would be - what is the earliest serial number .17Rem anyone has?

re: UG ad - That dealer buys a lot of old Sako's for refurbishment/refinishing etc., and then resells them. So he should know if it is a bitsa or not. (Whether he'll tell you honestly is another matter.)

Cheers
Piper

I'm 99.99% sure its in the same category as a .25-06 bofors - impossible. BUT you just never know. Earliest .17 rem I've seen is in the 150 000 range.

Remington designed the round in 1971 so it is possible that there were some bofors barrels made for it. They would not be marked as such, legally, as the lawsuit settlement was done by 1969. Tikkas still had bofors marked barrels that late so it could be possible that it was rebarreled with a tikka. What leads you to believe it is stamped bofors ?-Misako

I've just checked each of my "Gun Digests", starting with the 1968 edition, when Firearms International were the Sako importers and the first time that .17 Rem appears is in the 1980 edition (published in 1979), by which time Stoeger had recently taken over from Garcia as the importers.
It appears to have been available only in the short action Standard Sporter and not in the Deluxe Sporter or Heavy Barrel.

Terenceh

Great discussion!
I think that the rifle has been fitted with a take out barrel, imo.
As we all know over here, after the crash in the price of fox skins, you could buy a Sako 17 rem for about 60% the price of a Sako .222.
I will float two possibilities,
a rifle bought for a good 222 magnum barrel to restore a deluxe or mannlicher?
a rifle with shot out or rusted 222 barrel that was replaced with a cheap take out.
I have only seem the 17 rem in A1 action.
L-46

Hi L-46

No I've got a L461 .17 rem. So am sure the .17 rem exists in the L461 configuration. It does have the A1 style bolt shroud though. I've seen a couple of these.

What was interesting about the one posted was that it had the grip cap stock and was in .17 rem. This is a configuration I've never seen.

I think you and piper are right that's its a put together rifle.

Cheers John

Just as a follow up from the comment from piper235b, that this dealer does and buys "bitsas" (I should know - I have been stung - though I offloaded it in a short time) There seems to be more of these Sako's coming into the Australian market.
From the more experienced members here - is the anything we should look out for?
A friend got a Vixen last year that after receiving was sure it was a "put together job" as it was covered in grease (maybe a decoy) and he had a white salty looking powder leeching out of the rear of the bolt and also the magazine release latch, as if it may have been exposed to water??
I have just got an A1 s/n 159xxx in .222Rem. (cal. marked on the top of the barrel next to the top of the receiver ring) appears to be in very good condition, with a lacquered stock - was this a normal stock finish for around this time of manufacture?? Has the square forend type stock, maybe a transition rifle??
Any comments / opinions?
Thanks, Jay

Folks-I can't assume to know about the shroud situation on L461 and AI rifles in your part of the globe. Here, in the US, the transition rifles had both. The L579 and AII were equally affected. The oozing white stuff sounds like waterlogged grease and the Lacquer finishes were factory at some point of their life. Barrel markings were not funky for obvious reasons. Best rule of thumb is if it quacks it probably is a duck. I am never too busy if someone needs to bounce a rifle off of me for authenticity. Just PM me and I will keep it to myself.-Misako

Folks-I can't assume to know about the shroud situation on L461 and AI rifles in your part of the globe. Here, in the US, the transition rifles had both. The L579 and AII were equally affected. The oozing white stuff sounds like waterlogged grease and the Lacquer finishes were factory at some point of their life. Barrel markings were not funky for obvious reasons. Best rule of thumb is if it quacks it probably is a duck. I am never too busy if someone needs to bounce a rifle off of me for authenticity. Just PM me and I will keep it to myself.-Misako

Ok - I have tried to work out how to send a PM on the new forum.
I need help!!
Old forum was a comfort zone.
Jay

Thanks Scott! Or just Log in, then click inbox on the top right corner of the page.

Then hit Start a new conversation. Bob´s your uncle!

A good thing is that you can have conversations with several members at a time by the way.

Jim

043.JPG
Hi L-46

No I've got a L461 .17 rem. So am sure the .17 rem exists in the L461 configuration. It does have the A1 style bolt shroud though. I've seen a couple of these.

What was interesting about the one posted was that it had the grip cap stock and was in .17 rem. This is a configuration I've never seen.

I think you and piper are right that's its a put together rifle.

Cheers John
John,
I was being a little lazy in speech, and i have little interest in anything later than a L461, so in saying that, i bundle the L461 with A1 bolt shroud all in the same.
Here is a photo of my .17 Rem, i believe to be unfired! It is about 159xxx
My friend bought it from the original owner for $400 and after a year or so of haggling i gave him $800.

L-46

Hey L461, what year is your s/n 159xxx?
As my recently acquired A1 is a s/n 159xxx also.
Interested to know.
Great pic of a very desirable rifle you have there.
Jay

Jay,
I have no hang tag with the rifle,
others will know the approx DOM of the A series,
I would like to find a 17 with the stainless barrel, and find out more about them,
L-46

Latest posts

Back