• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

.222 Rem Mag.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Can .223 Rem. cartidge be fired safely in .222 Rem mag. chamber?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but ...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a Vixen Deluxe in .222 Rem Mag, which I bought new at the Wheelus AB, Libya Rod & Gun Club in 1968. I actually ordered a .222 Rem, but when it was delivered several mos. later, I saw the error. Because I was actually stationed at a remote location in the Mediterranean area, and seldom came to Wheelus, I decided to just keep that rifle. I didn't know the cartridge was soon to become obsolete. The rifle is like new, only fired about 4o rounds. I bought reloading dies, and numerous new blank cartidge cases, as well as buying every box of cartridges I saw on the shelves at various gun stores. However, I am aware of the fact that the .223 has a shorter neck than the .222 Mag. I just would like to know if any harm would be done to the rifle if a few rounds of .223 (readily available here) were occasionally fired in it

.223 has a slightly shorter length to the shoulder, so it would not be a good idea to shoot this in your 222Mag.

This subject has been discussed several times here on the SCC forum. Use the search option at the top of the page and put in ".223 in .222 Magnum" and you'll get lots of discussion.

Bottom line: It is not necessarily dangerous, but the primer will often fail to ignite due to having nothing to hold the case head firmly against the bolt face. It is also possible that if the case is a bit hard at the shoulder it could split and potentially release gas backward into the action, but this is not very likely.

If it were absolutely impossible to obtain the correct cases for a .222 Magnum (which it is not), then one could expand the necks of .223 with a 6mm expander, then resize them in a .222 Magnum die to create a false shoulder. Such cases would have a very short neck, but would work quite nicely in a .222 Magnum chamber. Also, cases for the .204 Ruger are somewhat more expensive and less common than .223 cases, but those could be reformed into .222 Magnum and would be full length.

I recall once inadvertently shooting a .222 in a .223 Kimber, which creates a similar excessive headspace situation to a .223 in a .222 Mag. Not only did nothing untoward happen, but the shot struck surprisingly close to the rifle's zero point at 200 yards. I also recall accidentally placing a .223 in a Sako .222 Magnum chamber and it failing to ignite.

I have a Vixen Deluxe in .222 Rem Mag, which I bought new at the Wheelus AB, Libya Rod & Gun Club in 1968. I actually ordered a .222 Rem, but when it was delivered several mos. later, I saw the error. Because I was actually stationed at a remote location in the Mediterranean area, and seldom came to Wheelus, I decided to just keep that rifle. I didn't know the cartridge was soon to become obsolete. The rifle is like new, only fired about 4o rounds. I bought reloading dies, and numerous new blank cartidge cases, as well as buying every box of cartridges I saw on the shelves at various gun stores. However, I am aware of the fact that the .223 has a shorter neck than the .222 Mag. I just would like to know if any harm would be done to the rifle if a few rounds of .223 (readily available here) were occasionally fired in it

The short answer your original question, can a 223 Rem be fired safely in a 222 Rem mag chamber? NO, NO, NO,. No matter what others have done or say is OK!, never fire a round in a rifle it was not chambered for. 222 Rem Mag brass & ammo are available, so why would you even considering taking any risks. No harm would come to the rifle, but I can't guarantee no harm will come to the dummy that is holding the rifle. Is your eyesight worth it? If the case should rupture, it will not be a good day for you.

Latest posts

Back