• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New to me 7x33 and 25-20

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Oh Bob,
Some real eye candy!
the 7x33 is a real treat, the first version L46.
No gas port in the bolt, does it have proof marks?
A super find! in very nice condition.

The 25-20 is interesting, it has the long bolt handle, like the early L46, but later rear sight base, magazine release and barrel contour to point to the 4-5,xxx range.
Tell us more about them.
Good Huntin'
L-46

Wow!! Nice rifles rugerbob! Both with barrel bands too! I had never seen the barrel bands until L61Rs recent photos he posted here....Congrats on two very rare Sako L46's!!~Bloo

Bob you either have far to much time on your hands to search or are the luckiest S.O.B. I have seen. I was going to go to the High River gun show and decided against it. Then a customer came to the shop and said he saw a L46 in 22 hornet there, I can't win for loosing.
Good to see you got your 25-20.

Very nice!! Very nice indeed!! Congratulations!

So the postman really knocks twice? Apparently he does!

If I would venture a guess I would say that it´s the 7x33 on the top photo and I would say that it´s a really early one since it has the non blued bolt. I have seen this up to about number 1500 or so. The rear sight is the first version out of three (at least) and I have seen those up to about the 3000 range.

Thanks for posting!! Always nice to see L46´s find a new good home with fellow Sakoholics!

Jim

Bob,
Thanks for showing the add! even a super price, from here anyway.
you certainly found some keepers.
I would check out one of those Riihimaki 222, with a dark stock and that polished finish it looks like a possible candidate for a second run L46
L-46

Last edited:
Very nice!! Very nice indeed!! Congratulations!

So the postman really knocks twice? Apparently he does!

If I would venture a guess I would say that it´s the 7x33 on the top photo and I would say that it´s a really early one since it has the non blued bolt. I have seen this up to about number 1500 or so. The rear sight is the first version out of three (at least) and I have seen those up to about the 3000 range.

Thanks for posting!! Always nice to see L46´s find a new good home with fellow Sakoholics!

Jim

Jim you are correct it is the top one 1946 stamped.

Bob

L46

They have arrived the 7x33 serial number is in the 900s and the 25-20 in the 5900s.

They both have their own issues, the 7x33 is of course missing it sights the end cap has been replaced and there is a substantial chuck of stock missing on the left side next to the mag well. The 25-20 has had the bolt rewelded, SN has been ground out, the rear sight base has been dished out and the caliber stamp runs the length of the barrel not sure if this is standard?

The stock on the 25-20 is in much better shape then the 7x33s, tempting to swap the them out. Right now I'm contemplating returning the 25-20 and keeping the 7x33 or keeping both and using the 25-20 for spare parts but not sure if this makes financial sense.

Bob

Bob, Sorry to hear this.
The 7x33 sound workable, having a 3 digit number, and no issues would take much deeper pockets!
The parts you need would be available from one of our members, I think. The stock could use some coloured filler?
The rear sight base has not been modified, they where different to the later ones, The missing part clips in.
How is the bore?

Correction, I did not refer to your photo on the first page , but was going from the serial number and not the barrel contour.
Your serial number should have had the second barrel contour, but being a domestic rifle, not export model it has the first type.
Some first barrel contours had some calibres stamped along, 6.3x33 etc
The calibre stamping along the barrel, on later contour barrels, was most probably a replacement barrel by the factory. I have seen this a few times.
The factory replaced barrels on all makes of rifles in the early days
Can you post a photo of the stamping?
Thanks for sharing
L-46

Last edited:
Bob!

I am sorry to hear about the issues with your L46´s!! CAn you show us some pics of the above mentioned issues so we can see if they can be solved?

There are three versions of the rear sight bases and the first one should be on your three digit L46. It lacks the rear "horns" which can be found on version two and three.
Pic attached.

Second, there are several versions of caliber marking and I also have one with the caliber marked on the left side of the barrel. Sorry but no pics available.

Third, many of the bolts have been ground down for scope clearance. I have that on at least three of mine. No big thing in my opinion. Pic attached.

So bring out your digi cam and shoot us some pics! Can´t be that bad!?

Jim

CIMG1118.JPG
CIMG1109.JPG

Jim,
Do you have a photo of your barrel with the calibre stamped along the length?
How is your 25-20 stamped?
Good Huntin'
L-46

Bob!

Sorry for a late reply!

I found a pic of my 25-20 which has 6,3x33R stamped along the left side of the barrel. Here you are:

CIMG1102.JPG

I have no pics of my second 25-20 but I´ll check it and post in a couple of days.

Jim

Jim,
Thank you for posting this photo, it is the same barrel stamping as one of our other members 6.3x33R
Very unusual stamping, but must have been the very first, few, 25-20's or maybe the first domestic 6.3x33 which where stamped this way.
I wonder now, if the early rifles stamped 5.6x35Veirling might have been stamped in this fashion also?
Bob I apologise if I gave you any mis information earlier
L-46

Can anyone direct me in the right location for sight parts, what am I looking for in regards period correct style?

Latest posts

Back