• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Gun Safes

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The chemical composition (or curing, whichever is the proper term) of older Sako pads varied considerably. Some went "mushy" while others turned to gravel. If you're lucky, you got one that was "just right" . With these "just right" pads, no amount of compression will deform them. If you have a "mushy" pad, it is likely already deformed. So, while storing Sakos on their muzzles or horizontally might make you feel good, I don't think it is going to influence the life of the pad.

An exception might be one you obtain NIB which has never stood on its pad. Storing it without pressure on the pad might extend its life if it is one of the mushy ones.

Stonecreek,
Should have told my Dad to buy that bomb shelter that Sears sold back in the '50's:bigsmile3:. I do remember seeing them on the sales floor. Ah, good Joe McCarthy!
S-A

I went for BIG and EASY. 54 gun zanotti. delivered in pieces and put together on site on a platform of 2x3's.
I'm tempted to make my own offset rack for it. I'd lose 3-4 guns but at least the rifles will be offset (between) each other. Might make it harder to dig one out though
It's got 1 shelf I use for pistols and stuff. I made a pegboard for the back to hang barrels.
pegboard-1.jpg

Thanks,I should have explained in more detail.I got ahead of myself. I was going to go with the muzzle down method but I was told that's not good for a floating barrel. The weight of the gun on the barrel over a long period may cause the barrel to warp? I find this warping theory a bit hard to beleive but thought I would throw it out there for some more informed feed back.. - thanks

Oh, it's true. I was going to have the warped barrels on my old guns replaced but now I use them to shoot curved coyotes. lol
Just kidding, of course. I think someone was pulling your leg. I can't see how storing your rifles muzzle down could affect a floated barrel, either. One thing you do need to pay attention to, tho, is that you need to keep the muzzle open and free from any blockage so it can breath. Many serious shooters store their rifles muzzle down an upside down to keep oils from flowing onto the stock and softening the wood. I've seen some very expensive shotgun stocks ruined this way. Guys think that spraying everything down with WD40 before putting the gun away is the way to go.
While we're at it, never keep a leather sling on a rifle when storing it and never keep the rifle in a case when storing it. Most tanned leather contains corrosive chemicals and salts that will eat the metal on a rifle and storing a cased gun keeps it from breathing. Moisture stays put and will corrode the steel. I've done both of these things and paid the price. My dad gave me a Smith and Wesson pistol before he died and I kept it in the leather holster stored in a drawer. I looked at it after a year or so and it was rusted and pitted.

Didn't see it mentioned here, but if looking for a safe recommendation take a look at Graffunder, pricy and heavy but seem to be bomb proof.

There is one factor that hasn't been mentioned yet that was very important to me: the type of lock. My first two safes had to have electronic locks because I believe them to be more reliable. I keep track of when I last changed the batteries and I use only lithium batteries. I replace batteries before it is necessary.
However, if I get a third safe, I will probably get one with a mechanical lock because mechanical locks are not susceptible to high power electromagnetic pulses. If an EMP event occurs (I admit this is unlikely) I'll still be able to get to some of my guns.
I also recommend getting medium size safes that you can move yourself. I've moved three times since getting my first safe and I've only ever needed one other person to help move my safes.
I am able to get more rifles in each safe by making my own interior rack that uses every available square inch. However, I do have to be very careful when moving rifles in and out of the safe.
HTH,
Al

Al,
I find that I also alter the interior of my my safes albeit I have only one right now. I hear you on more than one and manageable sizes. I guess the big ones are impressive and may be more cost effective per cubic inches/ft.. I dread they day I ever move.
S-A

I've moved my safe 3 times. It takes 3 strong men and is not easily moved in a pickup because it will destroy a tailgate. Hiring someone who specializes in moving this type of thing is the best way to go. My safe is medium size.

almargheim</p> said:
I also recommend getting medium size safes that you can move yourself. I've moved three times since getting my first safe and I've only ever needed one other person to help move my safes.

This fits nicely in with my theory that spreading your gun collecting among several smaller safes provides better protection than putting it all in one large safe.
For guns that I do not use regularly I find that storing them in a safe with a mechanical lock works okay. But I like to keep those guns that I frequently access (or am currently working with) in a safe with the much handier electronic lock. I'm not sure there is any real difference in the security of either style, but the electronic lock is much quicker and easier for the user to access.

By the way, if you are financially strapped and can't afford to buy a truly secure gun safe right now, one of the discount store metal gun cabinets is better than nothing. It won't provide any protection from fire and only marginal protection from burglars, but the very highest priority consideration in storing your firearms is securing them from children and others who should not have access to them. If you have kids (of any age) at home, they typically drag dozens of other kids through the house on a regular basis and the last thing you want is some neighbohood kid getting a hold of one of your guns -- for a lot of obvious reasons. Also, the cable repair guy, who is not a burglar but who may not be totally honest, might be tempted to " relieve" you of a gun he finds hidden on the top shelf in the closet where the attic access he's using to run the cable wires is located. A simple $125 metal gun cabinet from Walmart will at least keep guns away from kids and also keep guns from "walking away" under mysterious circumstances.

Anyone have a higher end Patriot safe - 2 hour fire rating? What do you think of it? I've talked to them after seeing one my FFL has. Very nice, I thought. However, they are very aggressive selling once they get your phone number. Had to tell them to back off.
S-A

Great thread. I've been looking at gunsafes recently and this discussion has given me plenty to think about, including standing my rifles barrel down to preserve recoil pad condition. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and insight.

sanjuan

I don't know how much truth there is to it but I was told the electronic locks are more secure. It was said that a thief could take a sledge hammer and knock off the rotary dial type lock. Since I've never done it or seen it done or even heard of it being done I just don't know.
I have a rotary dial on my safe but a conversion to a push button type is simple.

My safe has the electronic lock as well...but there is a over-ride key if for some reason the electronics go on the fritz. Fire proof ratings are a joke, for the simple fact that your guns will not survive the heat and water damage in a full house fire. The thieves will be slowed down by a good safe, but if they want in it bad enough and have the time to spend, they'll be in it. Size matters...if you have 8 long guns, you'll need AT LEAST a 14-16 gun safe, and they'll still be very close together. -Bloo

bloo,
Good point. Since I am in the Dog House all the time, I think I will go to the original idea of a safe room. That way, I can sleep in there often and thwart any attempts to steal my two triple deuces with a Glock:bigsmile3:
S-A

Safe rooms are sweet...A friend of mine here has one...cleverly concealed...you'd never know it was there. when he revealed it to me ,I was amazed at what all he had in this tiny, but functional space..inside he has several safes and guns stacked in, on and around everywhere. It was wonderful, I couldn't concentrate on anything....tried to count out some money for him on a purchase I was making on a car for my daughter. He saw I was having trouble, asked me to leave the room just long enough to count it right, then recounted it to be sure...he said it wasn't the first time he'd seen that happen to his guests...Hahahaa!
On the subject of glocks.....yuck....said to be "america's gun", No says I!
Have you shot any deer with a .222? I am just curious- Bloo

my brother made a gun safe inside an interior wall of his house...he told me to see if i could locate it..i looked for 3 hrs and came out empty..when he showed me where it was i almost fell over i looked at the bloody thing at least 10 ntimes and didnt even know it was there..it has a fake cold air register to provide air flow to the gun collection..and there is no way a burgler could ever know it was there...although he is a remington..winchester fan ...he is coming to make an identical gun storage unit like he has for my sako...ammo is all self contained in his unit with locks...maybe some of you would be able to figure out a simalar way to do this...as he says out of site out of mind

bloo,
Hey, watch what you say about my Tupperware:bigsmile3:. I have not shot deer with anything less than a .30 caliber. I just got into the triple dueces (3) and a Vixen .220 Swift in the last year or so. Nice shooting rifles. Don't really care too much for Bambi, anymore. I love Elk. Tricky suckers!
S-A .

Elk hunting has to be awesome....I've hunted Whitetail (Bambi) all my life, and they're tricky enough.
No Insult was intended on the subject of your Tupperware Sako brother, just my 1911 mouth gettin me in trouble again...:evil2:
Bloo

Latest posts

Back