• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

AV 375 Barrel change

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

USAF Arky

Can I change out my 7mm Mag AV barrel with a 375 H&H barrel? Looking for a little more horsepower for a bison hunt. The bolt face and barrel taper measure the same. Did a 375 have a different lug arrangement? Or maybe a magazine follower? This is for an ordinary hunter model.

My opinion is no need for a .375 H&H & cost of rebarreling with a possible loss in value as you might just consider a change in bullet weight & type on the 7mm Magnum for bison.
Suggested caution on bison as need study their skeletal anatomy as their spine is not where you’d expect but much lower as they have huge vertebra facets that form their hump and neck with leg bones/scapula far forward when planning impact damage. Bullet placement crucial if planning a drop in place.
My 2 cents. 18A58870-13ED-4C49-BE8A-264F56BB31EE.png

Last edited:
I have an AV 375 barrel. Actually it probably came from an AIII since it is 24” and the caliber is marked on the side not the top. Great tip on the bison anatomy. Been studying it also.

Howdy Arky, good luck on your upcoming hunt. I agree with Spaher, 7mm RM with heavy, well constructed bullets will work. One other difference, .416-.338 cal AV's have 2 cross bolts in the stock. There is only one in other calibers, that might be noteworthy.

Hi Arky,
The spine & skeleton pic. that Mr. Spaher provided is the info you need. Place the round at the junction of the spine & shoulder & it's lights out!!Best of luck & practice is the key!!! B/T

I don't disagree that a heavy 7mm bullet will do just fine for bison.

Speaking strictly from a technical viewpoint, all that is required to change a Sako AV 7mm RM to .375 H&H would be to properly fit the barrel. The magazine, bolt face, etc. are all the same. If done by a competent gunsmith you could even have the barrels switched back if you desired.

My understanding of the 2nd cross bolt was that it was required with the newer style Tikka trigger. My AV has a #4 with 1 cross bolt. I have seen many AV 375 with only 1 cross bolt that appear factory. I have bedded my rifle action and barrel in Acraglas. I use Swift 175 grains a frames behind Reloder 26 on elk. 3/4 MOA out to 300 yards.

This once in a lifetime bison hunt just has me doubting I have enough rifle. I have been practicing shooting from a pack since August. Thanks for all your input. It is much appreciated.

Arky, be of good cheer. your hunt will go well. Bison hunting, as I am sure you have figured out, is not like hunting elk .

Back