• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

25-06 Recipes?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello sakojim & friends,
Well I guess the 25/06 will kill!! Set both alarms on the clock at the farm @ 5:30 AM, My son woke me @ 6:10 Dressed like DAGWOOD, out the door, in the stand 10 till 7:00, couldn't see, oh wait there is a deer in the food plot. Couldn't tell how big, buck or doe, come on light!! That's a big deer! , Short legs, pot belly, 7:10 took high shoulder shot on huge body deer, it went straight down . Went to look, holy smokes!! pics will tell! 190 lbs. 10 point , My Invention (bucktote sled) saved the day, didn't have to lift the big deer into the truck!! Thank you Lord!!! B/T

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpg
    IMG_4610.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I have about 10 left.
They were in Cabela's & Sportsmans Guide. I can send you one if you like.
B/T

Attachments

• IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 19
Thank you all for the kind words.
My son & I put the deer in the truck & to the taxidermist we went pronto!
I will be able to age the big boy when I get the jawbone back, I guess 5-1/2 or so.
I think I saw & missed him a few years ago while hunting, black powder season with Hawken rifle. Violated 1st rule of shooting, " Thou shall not lift head off of stock when pulling trigger to see wonderful shot!! B/T

Hello again fellow Sako shooters.
Going thru my casings inventory, I found 30/06 casings that seem a bit heavier weight wise. Some have head stamped C-l-9-6 @ 90 degrees in a circular pattern & some have-U-4-2 in a triangle circle . I think these are casings from remanufactured military rounds sold to the public. I have concluded that I will anneal all necks before resizing brass for reloading & I can use these casings to make 25/06 casings for my lefty rifle as 25/06 casings are expensive & are not plentiful. I will also color the head ends green.
Question is how much POI can be expected by doing such?? I have been using W/W 25/06 casings & have Remingtons as well. Does any one have experience with such an effort like this? I will use the ammo produced for hunting & can accept ,moderate POI changes with the components all being the same except for the casings. I recently bought a pencil propane burner tip & will follow Mr. Paulson's directions for annealing the necks. B/T

If the cases are heavier than the commercial cases you're using then they will also likely have a tad less capacity. I'd advised backing off by one grain of powder when switching to them to avoid potential excessive pressure. It's impossible to know whether they will group differently from your other cases -- only shooting them will tell.

Also, the heavier military cases may have thicker necks and may require thinning the necks if reduced to .25 caliber. If a resized case chambers easily but a loaded case chambers with resistance you probably have excessively thick necks which must be reamed or turned.

Thank you Mr. stonecreek,
Maybe I should stay with the commercial cases. I have been trying to find IMR7828ssc & try the formula you find to be so good. The powder I use is IMR 4350 & it fills the case only about 83-85% but the added neck question poses another possible step in conforming to your successful loadings. I will stay with the W/W cases & be patient (not my long suit)!
I am only one cartridge short from my last loading session & I have other rifles to shoot My 25/06 loading is similar to yours with the
muzzle vel. @ 3.080 FPS and the shots at our farm are seldom over 100 to 200 yds. I have gotten the 25/06 shooting reasonably good groups & don't want to reinvent the wheel!! I absolutely love my Forester .243 & predators beware!! My son says that feral hogs are getting close to our farm, seen only a few miles away. So far we have not encountered them at our location. I have however had problems with them @ other locations (S.C.) hunting leases. The Sako .243 will be employed if they show up. Keep well & all the best!! B/T

Mr. Stonecreek,
I thank you for the info. on using other 06 casings for the 25/06 re loadings. I just purchased a lot of 200 .270 fired casings & plan to anneal the necks per. Mr. Paulson's advice. de prime, anneal, re form with small base dies, trim, Polish, inspect, & clean pockets, try in chamber, prime & load. Did I miss any steps ? please advise! I will also sort the cases by mfg. & load in uniformed mfg.
batches & test results accordingly. For ease of Identification I am considering coloring (for 25/06) with a green marking pen the head stamp ends as they are not subject to combustion temps as such. B/T

Hi fellow Sako fans,
Has anyone tried Ramshot Magnum, or Retumbo powders in a 25/06 reloading effort? I am trying to decide if it will be a good alternate to IMR 7828ssc & match Stonecreeks accuracy in that cal/rifle? The 7828ssc is hard to find!

Thanks fellow Sako shooters,
Just finished prep. & reloading altered .270 casings, ( per stonecreek's lesson) to conform to 25/06 chambering, Some of the .270 casings I purchased are nickel plated & I followed Gunner 620s' advice by letting the nickel plated cases "dwell in the small base dies a while longer even double stroking them! After annealing the necks ( per Mr. Paulson's teachings) They all fit & chambered well. The advice on this site is so much appreciated as it prevents many pitfalls the reloading student can fall into. Hope all had a blessed & safe Thanks Giving. as for our extended family we have had so many new babies into the family I can't keep up with the names! Mr. Paulson, I don't know if I would get in trouble if I did what you asked, but I will be happy to send you one just PM me. Thanks again to all & keep well, B/T

Good day, I hope!!
Tornadoes in the southeast, hope we can escape the storms. Question for Mr. Stonecreek, did you ever use Rem/Peters casings with your work-up to your successful 25/06 loads. I purchased 200 brass casings & all but 16 were R/P casings. I understand that rifles of the same model & cal. do not perform the same with identical loadings, but I would like to try the loading you have perfected in my 25/06. This is all depending on my obtaining IMR 7828ssc powder some day?? Happy to see your successful recent hunts with friends & family, nothing better!! Keep well & all the best, B/T

Hello fellow Sako shooters!
At last found IMR 7828ssc at Bass Pro shops. Ordered a bottle & looking forward to trying it in my 25/06. I have seen many posts here & on other sites extoling the merits of this powder in the 25/06 cal. rifles. My sons have invited me (for Christmas) to an old time quail hunt, complete with mule drawn buggy & all the trimmings, can't wait!! Hope all of you are well & merry Christmas!!

Question for Mr. Stonecreek, did you ever use Rem/Peters casings with your work-up to your successful 25/06 loads.
I've never had any problems with R-P cases. However, if purchasing "once-fired" cases it is important to make sure that they really have been fired only once. Cases which have been reloaded multiple times may be at or near the end of their useful life and are typically not good candidates for reforming to another caliber.

Back