• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

85 223 Accuracy Issues

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Kev

Hi,
I would like to know if anyone has had issues with accuracy of their SAKO 85.
I Have several SAKO rifles and have never had a single problem with any of them, until recently.
My 223 fluted stainless, dose not want to play the game. I am unable to obtain a grouping under 2.5 inches at 100, regardless of ammo brands or reloads. It has been like it from day one, and does not appear to be getting any better.
It has been back to Beretta in the early days and they advised that the head space was incorrect and they have adjusted it, and re crowned the barrel.
So out of interest I would like to know if anyone has experienced the same and if you were able to rectify the issue?
Cheers!
Kev.

I really wonder how in hell they "adjusted" headspace, unless it had a very tight chamber and the bolt was hard to close. Generally the fidling around with the rifle does very little to help except to exasperate the shooter. I would first look at the scope and mounts (strongly) and then start with action screw tightening and stock warpage. You should expect 1" groups at 100 meters if your part is not a victim of the aging process. I suppose the angels at Beretta told you they got good accuracy when in actuality they should suck it up and replace the rifle. BTW- Welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev
I really wonder how in hell they "adjusted" headspace, unless it had a very tight chamber and the bolt was hard to close. Generally the fidling around with the rifle does very little to help except to exasperate the shooter. I would first look at the scope and mounts (strongly) and then start with action screw tightening and stock warpage. You should expect 1" groups at 100 meters if your part is not a victim of the aging process. I suppose the angels at Beretta told you they got good accuracy when in actuality they should suck it up and replace the rifle. BTW- Welcome.

Hi,
Thank you for replying.
You are correct in the answer from Beretta, regarding the head space and the accuracy when they tested it! I understand your ideas around the scope and mounts. I have played and change with that to many time to mention! I have Optilock Mounts, and have tried 3 scopes. Khales, Pecar and one of my Nightforce variables, all with the same results. Frustrating to say the least! I am now looking into having the barrel replaced with a locally made MADDCO here in Aust, which will be annoying as the original barrel has had about 300 rounds through it.
Cheers.

Oh heck, have it recrowned locally. You never know...
Possibly an option, agreed. though, it definitely was recrowned by Beretta, as I took specific measurement's prior to retuning it to them. Maybe I will give it a try!
Cheers.

If Beretta ‘fixed’ it under warranty and it still doesn’t shoot, I’d be sending it back.

Hi,
Thank you for your suggestion, appreciate your input. I spoke with their office post return from their modifications, and their response was, it is falls within their specifications, end of storey! It is what it is I guess.

No doubt you’ve put it to them Kev.
I thought the 85’s had an accuracy guarantee, 3 or 5 shots MOA ?

Yes, correct mate! they suggested that it was me... and asked if this was my first time purchase!!! when I informed them that I grew up on the land, and had my first 22 when I was 9 years old, and a 222 Vixen as a 13th birthday gift. Their response again, was Oh!
It astounds me a bit, to think that an avid supporter of a world recognised premium product, which has a price tag to match! That their customer support people, are so naïve.! Surely they would understand that not many individuals, would be fortunate enough to start their journey into firearms with a premium item! Please correct me if I am wrong?
Also, please understand, I am in no way bashing the product.. I love the product! I just recently purchased another new Sako 85 22.250, a week ago! So it is safe to say I am a addicted to SAKO Firearms. Just a bit disillusioned, That's all!

hi i need some advice. i have a sako L57 coltsman.I took the scope off to replace it and ended up loosing my scope rings. can someone kindly advise me where I can locate a pair of good used ones. on ebay I only see for L579 but i dont know if it would work on mine

hi i need some advice. i have a sako L57 coltsman.I took the scope off to replace it and ended up loosing my scope rings. can someone kindly advise me where I can locate a pair of good used ones. on ebay I only see for L579 but i dont know if it would work on mine
Yes they will work if they are the right height.

Latest posts

Back