• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Carbine 1971 L61r Manlicher Carbine????

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Ksmith022

Hello gentlemen,

I have been reading on the forum but am looking for clarification. My question is was 1971 the only year that the L61r carbine configuration imported to the US? My friend has a 338 and a 7mm both 5 digit serial numbers and 3 lug bolts. D50873E1-91DC-4AC4-8274-9D92E7B54949.jpeg 880FBB99-AC8E-4899-9ADB-7C8FB162EB01.jpeg 390C89FA-DA5C-4F38-923F-C87F6DDFA3A8.jpeg C7C2F863-B32F-4E02-9164-9560C04048C6.jpeg

I may be wrong, but I don't think Sako shipped many, if any, early production (during the 60's) L61R action length. Short and medium length, definitely.

I know they shipped the manlicher carbine in the AIII and the AV but I am strictly talking about the L61r branded actions.

My 7 MM Rem Mag Mannlicher is marked L61 even though it has the covered bolt shroud. My thinking is that must be one of the change over guns before they started marking AIII. The serial number 5303XX kind of bears this out, 77-78 year range. Of course there is no third lug.

The seller has 2 sako mannlichers on gunbroker , allegedly boxed guns. No bolt in either ad. Maybe they are in the respective boxes.

The seller has 2 sako mannlichers on gunbroker , allegedly boxed guns. No bolt in either ad. Maybe they are in the respective boxes.

Probably Jeffy1,
when your selling something though, the pictures should show the complete article.

Probably Jeffy1,
when your selling something though, the pictures should show the complete article.
Hell, for the kind of $$$ being suggested you’d think there’d be at least a few bolt photos, including proof they match each rifle by showing the underside with the last three engraved digits.

Here's the list of Mannlichers that was in the Sako Finnmark newsletter. It's interesting. Notice all the L61 Mannlichers were shipped to the US, and the rarest of those are the 264 and 375 at ten each.

Mannlicher      list 1of2.jpg Mannlicher      list 2of2.jpg

My question is was 1971 the only year that the L61r carbine configuration imported to the US?
the answer is No. L61R with the third locking lug rifles were made mostly in 1971, with bleedover into 1972 and perhaps '73. The 1973 date is just speculation on my part. There are a few "Bofors" marked L61R full stocks from the 1960s (there are pics here somewhere on this site), but those rifles are super scarce and really hard to find. There are lots of L61R / AIII / AV full stock rifles, but only a few (as shown here from the Finnmark letter) that are L61R 3-lug with shiny stocks. That's the first thing that I look for.....is it an L61R and does it have a polyurethane stock?....if it does, chances are pretty good that it has the third locking lug and made in 1971.

The Mannlicher Model shipments info posted by D2 is a good guide, and that info came from the factory, but I've found that it is not all inclusive. How do I know all of this?....like Mims Reed, I've been chasing the full stocks hard for over 30 years, and incidently I'm missing L61R 3-lug rifles in .264 and .338. If you have one for sale, let me know. :) I have one of the .375s (there were 13 of them made, not just 10), and have all of those serial numbers documented somewhere. I think I sent that file to this site somewhere, so I'll have to look for it.

Great topic ! love my full stocks!
DeerGoose

Serial numbers for .375H&H rifles.....9 of them identified as full stock Mannlicher rifles. I believe I uncovered 13 total made (10 imported to the USA, 2 went to France, 1 somewhere else), but this is from memory, so don't hold me to it.....:):confused:o_O

I own serial number #56724 in .375H&H Full Stock, inspected May 7th, 1971.

DeerGoose

Attachments

• 375H&H_ Sako_Serials.pdf
    9.4 KB · Views: 12
Dgoose, good info, keep it coming. Another super rare one is a 223 24 inch full stock, marked Bofors. BTW, I have an extra 300 win mag carbine I could be talked out of.

BTW, I have an extra 300 win mag carbine I could be talked out of.
the one I have is real nice.....I'd be all over your offer if I didn't. BTW, that .25/06 full stock NIB for sale, I'd be all over it if I didn't have one already. Where else you going to find one?...My .25 has an orange stock, really really nice.

thanks,
DeerGoose

Back