• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Another Variation in a Beretta-Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/926633651

Beretta's 500-series bolt rifles were built on Sako actions, but long before Beretta became the owner of the company. Sako made the actions specifically for Beretta and shipped them to Italy where Beretta fitted the barrels and stocks. I own a 500 (.222), 501 (.308) and 502 (.30-06) in each respective A-series action size (AI, AII, and AV). All I have seen or owned were round topped using screw-on bases instead of the traditional Sako tapered dovetail. Also, they were not marked with either the Sako name nor the action designation.

The rifle in the auction is clearly a Beretta 502, but it has the dovetails and action marked AV, although I can't see "Sako" anywhere on it. This would represent a variation in the Beretta 500 series that I was previously unaware of. Wondering if anyone else knows of a Beretta 500 series rifle with dovetails?

Interesting piece Stonecreek. Made in Finland on the barrel also.
I can’t quite make it out, but there is another unfamiliar stamp on the front right of the action.

Made in Finland on the barrel also.
Sharp eye, deersako! I hadn't noticed that. All three of my 500 series Berettas have "Made in Italy" on the barrel, plus extensive proof marks not seen on Finnish rifles. They do have the Finnish Lion proof on the receiver, but no "Sako" visible. You can see the "P. Beretta" scroll and Finnish Lion in the second photo, and a serial number which is consistent with the AII actions. By the way, my bolt handles are blue like Sakos, not bright like this one (and Browning Sakos).

It appears that the rifle on Gunbroker was sent to Beretta as a barreled action, perhaps early on in the series?

IMG_0509 (1024x671).jpg

IMG_0510 (1024x419).jpg

Last edited:
That one says Berben Corp NY and a number under that.
Yes, the Berben Corporation of New York was apparently the U.S. importer of Berettas for some period of time. They held the U.S. trademark on the name "Beretta" at one time. According to the records I can find, the corporation has been dissolved for a number of years. I have found reference to Beretta pistols and shotguns being imported by Berben up until the mid-1980's, which is about the age of the 500 series rifles.

Since Garcia was the importer of Berettas until 1978, I'm guessing that Berben took over Berettas at the same time that Stoeger took over Sakos and was the Beretta importer until Beretta USA was formed.

By the way, my Model 500 .222 and Model 501 .308 are both quite accurate, while my 502 .30-06 is still unfired. Another SCC member, Coleman Cowboy, has posted about the excellent accuracy of his Model 500 .222.

That one says Berben Corp NY and a number under that.
Right. The Berben Corporation of NY was apparently the importer of Berettas during the late 1970's to mid-1980's and once held the U.S. trademark for the name "Beretta". I've found reference to both Beretta pistols and shotguns from the mid-1980's marked with the Berben import stamp, which is about the right time period for the Beretta 500 series rifles on the A-series Sako actions. The corporation has since dissolved, probably when Beretta USA came into being. Since Garcia was the importer of both Berettas and Sakos until 1978, I'm guessing that when Sakos went to Stoeger that Berettas went to Berben.

By the way, my Model 500 .222 and Model 501 .308 are both quite accurate. My Model 502 .30-06 is still unfired. A member here on the SCC forums, Coleman Cowboy, has also had great accuracy from a Model 500 .222: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/beretta-500-222-rem.14682/

Latest posts

Back