• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Nice!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Understood
When I ran across it this morning it was less than $900…First day
Of the rarity list of possibilities, this Deluxe Forester covers a wide range of Seldom Seen.

Bloo

That rifle might be worthy of a 130.00 pad from MT.

Not anymore…at 2.5 K a new pad would devalue it!

I would much rather see the original pad on an old Sako. It’s an excepted understanding that most of them are breaking down by now, tho’ some excellent time capsule guns are around with pristine pads (super rare).
Of course if a new OEM pad or one from MT or BF Egypt could be added perfectly without obvious signs of replacing..have at’r!
I’ll take the original mushy dog turd pad over a limbsaver any day!

bloo

I see two issues besides the pad. The magazine box appears to have been improperly seated and the bottom metal clamped down on it bowing the bottom metal outward from the stock. This is fixable. Also, the engraving, which is usually plated with a gold or silver coloring, appears to be plain blue. Since it is an early gun this lack of coloring in the engraving may be factory, or it may represent a refinishing -- not sure which.

I'm leaning toward it being reblued due to the appearance of the serial numbers being somewhat shallower near their bottom than near their top and the lion's head imprint being very weak -- but as we've said over and over, you can't judge these things solely from photographs without having the actual rifle in your hands to examine in person.

Certainly the single deer floorplate pattern is the scarcest of the whitetail floorplates, and the diamond rather than tree in the grip cap is also very scarce in the L579. All things being equal, these features make it a premium item.

I see two issues besides the pad. The magazine box appears to have been improperly seated and the bottom metal clamped down on it bowing the bottom metal outward from the stock. This is fixable. Also, the engraving, which is usually plated with a gold or silver coloring, appears to be plain blue. Since it is an early gun this lack of coloring in the engraving may be factory, or it may represent a refinishing -- not sure which.

I'm leaning toward it being reblued due to the appearance of the serial numbers being somewhat shallower near their bottom than near their top and the lion's head imprint being very weak -- but as we've said over and over, you can't judge these things solely from photographs without having the actual rifle in your hands to examine in person.

Certainly the single deer floorplate pattern is the scarcest of the whitetail floorplates, meaning that all things being equal, it should be a premium item.

I will almost betcha the engraving is good, it’s blacked with gunk from years of tarnish and oxidation. I’ve had a few, it rubs right off with a little thumb grease!
I missed the floor plate bulge..probably because my vision was blurred due to my eyes also bulging then followed by tears as it went straight passed my mark!

bloo

It's like the kid in the TV ad who does food tasting for $20,000 a pop. When asked if he's had anyone take him up on it he replies, "Not yet, but it only takes one".

Why do we see rifles like this 243 that's in a condition that is probably less than most buyers want, reach $2500 in auction, when you see many Sakos that are as collectible and in a rare caliber and mint condition languish at $2800 or so for months and never sale? Some might say now is the time to sale your Sakos. But to me, that would be a good decision only if I've lost my desire to own these great rifles. Otherwise, the potential profit of $1000 or so per gun does not override my desire to own Sakos. I'm just dumbfounded watching bids go up on this 243!

Opps, I mean 308. I'm just so blinded by the bidding I didn't pay close attention to the caliber. Even though 308 is a little better, it's still hard to understand the bidding.

My Lord!!??? Still got 12 days to win the lottery, so I can jump in on the bidding. I wonder if it's angle, throwing off the look of the engraving? Doesn't look like it's been out of the safe,......ever. Weatherby slant too. Nice

I think it’s legit… or Troo Bloo!
Tho’ photos can be misleading, the obsidian like sheen of a Sako DeLux finish is there.
We need brother Deergoose’s input on blackened engraving and the Flitz restoration process!
I have no iron in the fire, no connection to this gun or it’s seller.
Opps, I mean 308. I'm just so blinded by the bidding I didn't pay close attention to the caliber. Even though 308 is a little better, it's still hard to understand the bidding.

I kinda wish it was a .243 as I already have 3 De Lux’s in .308! Better yet a 22-250! I only have one of those!

I wagered $1400 when I found it…”Sorry, you have been out bid….”

Dreams I’ll never see….

Good luck to the man (or woman) with the bottomless pockets (or purse)

Bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Not anymore…at 2.5 K a new pad would devalue it!

I would much rather see the original pad on an old Sako. It’s an excepted understanding that most of them are breaking down by now, tho’ some excellent time capsule guns are around with pristine pads (super rare).
Of course if a new OEM pad or one from MT or BF Egypt could be added perfectly without obvious signs of replacing..have at’r!
I’ll take the original mushy dog turd pad over a limbsaver any day!

bloo
I thought that the CS pads were NOS originals. Not so?

I thought that the CS pads were NOS originals. Not so?
I can’t say for certain if they are NOS, I have heard that the pads are subject to poor workmanship and fitting. Personally I think they look better than White Line or Pachmayr equivalents.
Notice the white spacer? The factory used them sometimes, other times not. I’ve never been able to nail down this variant attribute in the DeLux’s timeline.

bloo

Bloo,
Not NOS in my op. Got 1 for a replacement for collapsed pad & could not use as bad fit , too narrow & not want touch stock for pad. Regrettably gunsmith picked pad not to my liking but functional

I have what was said to be a original factory pad given to me by Jim (L61R) over 10 years ago. It’s still in the envelope it came in from Overseas. I’ve hung on to it all along waiting for the right DeLux , deserving it’s use. The pad is as rare as any of my rifles are , if not more.

bloo

Back