• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 Restoring my dad's L46 .222 Mannlicher - COMPLETED!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

caranch

Hello, new Sako friends! I've been lurking for long enough, searched long enough, and now would like to ask for some help.

My dad's first varmit rifle was taken apart in the 1960's and never put back together after VietNam '69-70, and I think I'm missing a part. The front stock were it meets the main stock has a metal band (and front sling mount), and a loop around the top of the barrel (has an open sight). It fits snug and all, but comes off pretty easily. There's no way i could shoulder the rifle by the strap, or fire it and it stay together. So there must be some front clip or hardware, correct? What's it called? I cannot find a schematic anywhere. Any part # or place to find a replacement would be great!

I've already found a rear peep, scope mounts, leupold old model gloss black vx1 2-7x33. My local guy will send the barrel/receiver off for re-blueing/restoration (went through a fire), and i'm going to refinish the stock (black and gummy original). Getting there.

thx

Chris
in Calif

Here’s a pic of what joins the two together.
Unlikely you’ll be able to find the part, but you can/could have one made easily enough.

D67DFF26-188A-42BB-969D-A681CB31862D.jpeg

Hello Down Under! Sydney is the sister city to my San Francisco, right? Spent Christmas 2019/NYE 2020 there. Beautiful.

Wow, I would have never guessed. Any idea what that's called, or is there a part number on it? Steel I assume?

Now I'm seeing the nice oval sling ring on the joining collar. Any source for those? I'm missing the front and rear oval sling rings too.

THANK YOU!

This sounds like an heirloom that will be worth all effort to restore. Hopefully you can find everything you need with a little help from some friends. There are many here that may be able to direct and guide you through the processes.
It’s a shame to hear of the fire damage, it has to be the worst tragedy to befall all things precious, including your Father’s rifle.
A word of caution, have the rifle examined by a well versed and competent Gunsmith, before you shoot it. The heat generated in a fire can alter the metals molecular structure and cause it to be brittle or otherwise unsafe to handle the chamber pressures, or render the gun non-fireable. Hopefully this will not be the case with yours. Regardless, your rifle still deserves your passion to bring it back to its glory.

Best of luck with your restoration efforts and I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Hippie

Hi Hippie,

The rifle didn't get hot, it got wet. My gunsmith is sending all the metal off to be restored/reblued. I'm going to refinish the stock. Oiling wood is a very zen thing for me. The gunsmith will be putting it all back together for me, and get it ready for sighting in. It'll be a while, but its been around a while, and so have I.

thx

Chris

Last edited:
That’s very good to hear! There are a couple members here with ongoing projects that are similar to yours.
A Sako Fullstock rifle is a prize and the .222 is a joy to shoot! You are blessed to have both in combination.
Keep on keepin’ on!

Hippie

Hey Chris,
Have you looked at Custom Shop yet? They have some older Sako parts and/or may be able to make what you're looking for. Very cool project. I love family guns.
www.*************.com
Best Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Yep, def found Custom Shop. I already ordered scope rings from them. They haven't gotten back to me on the stock joiner hardware piece, it's a real long shot. I expect to have to fabricate one.

My gunsmith just got back with good news and bad. Good news is the barrel inspection looks good! Bad news is the company that will be doing the reblueing/refurb has a 5-6 month turn around.

I guess that leaves me plenty of time to refinish the stock, find / fab that joiner hardware.

IMG_1586.jpeg IMG_1588.jpeg FOUND the stock joiner hardware!

It was actually still screwed into the stock, but hidden because it was broken in half. Now to find out if I can get it fixed, perhaps by welding. Or at least I have the original to fabricate from.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
So now i have the wood back from my gunsmith, as all the metal is sent off for 5 months to reblue/refurbish. It's all there, but really needs everything to be stripped down, including the checkering. All the stuff I found online says to mask the checkering. But check out the photos:

Also included is a photo of the stock hand grip plastic plate. It shows some bubbling of the plastic, that shows the gun did get heated, but not enough to burn the wood, and certainly not enough to change the barrel or receiver's integrity. IMG_1592.jpeg IMG_1591.jpeg IMG_1589.jpeg

Looks like a crime scene. I hope you can bring her back to life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you have a nice solid stock to work with! If you can’t find anyone local to weld that back together I’d be glad to do it for you.

Looks like you have a nice solid stock to work with! If you can’t find anyone local to weld that back together I’d be glad to do it for you.
It's missing the U-shaped center loop that the barrel band cross bolt goes through, so welding together the two parts shown would not work.

You are correct Paul, the hoop would have to be made and welded between the two remaining pieces.

Edit: Looking back at the pieces for a second time, it looks like it's all there. I believe the hoop is just flattened out from being bent away from the barrel.

You are correct Paul, the hoop would have to be made and welded between the two remaining pieces.

Edit: Looking back at the pieces for a second time, it looks like it's all there. I believe the hoop is just flattened out from being bent away from the barrel.
That could very well be the case. Be aware the piece is cast steel & rebending it to it's proper shape will require it to be heated til it turns "red" hot. Getting someone with a Mannlicher to trace out the shape would help getting it back to the correct dimensions so the screw holes & cross bolt loop line up with the wood.

Hi Guys,

I am so grateful to have found this community!

The u-shaped hoop is all there. It's a clean fracture with jagged crystalline surfaces on both sides that match very nicely. When matched together, they make a nice straight line/plane, with the u-loop fully intact in the middle. The photos don't really show that. At Chrisss31's suggestion, I put it back in the stock and it all fits with no gaps between the stocks and the metal. Looks like I got lucky.

I've already sent it off to Chrisss31. thank you Chris in CT! He also found this: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=Carbine+Connector+Plate

So its called a connector plate. Who knew.

Now, how to refinish cross-hatching on a super blackened gummy stock? All stock refinishing info I've found say to mask that off...

Chris

Finish the stock, then repoint the checkering. Masking the checkering off is futile. You need to sand & refinish the wood between the double border when you do the stock, then recut the border, repoint the checkering, then stain & seal the checkering. You will need a checkering cradle & the appropriate checkering tools or hire a pro to do it. Otherwise the refinish job will look awful. That stock is beyond the skills of a hobby job or someone without the tools & experience, IMHO. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back