• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Colt Sako 579 Deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

xb40

I realize this question is pretty common. This is a little different. Coltsman 579 Deluxe 308 1964, and as usual the recoil pad is useless. The pad is a Colt pad, rifle is in excellent condition. I have an original Sako pad. I will probably sell this rifle. Replace the pad or leave as is.

SPF

Last edited:
Maybe sell as is, with the Sako pad as a kicker. Leave these hard decisions to the buyer.
But I know little about it beyond owning a Bofors L579. Cheers.

Although the original pad on the Coltsman Deluxe was a Sako product, a regular Sako pad would not match it and would be clearly identified as a replacement by any potential buyer. You would be better off instead of using your rare and expensive Sako pad to replace with a similar Pachmayr. However, paying a professional for the replacement probably won't enhance the value of the rifle by as much as its cost, so, as previously suggested, let the buyer decide what to do about the deteriorated pad.

Some Buyers, including myself, would rather see the original pad , even tho it’s in poor condition. Since it’s become a somewhat well known fact that the pads ALL had a problem with deterioration, it feels better knowing the gun is still in its original state.
Leave it up to the next owner to perplex and decide what pad to use as a replacement. I typically don’t even worry about it unless its just completely crumbled and dilapidated away.

I wish I didn’t already have so many .308’s!
The Coltsman Deluxe rifles are top on the list in my book! 931EDF3D-AA91-4605-81EB-3348483FA225.jpeg

hippie

I guess the options consist of do or don’t. I agree that keeping it original is probably the best option. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, leave it as it is and see what happens.

I wish I didn’t already have so many .308’s!
It's amazing how many L579 .308 deluxe rifles there are, at one time I had a dozen or so of them. To the contrary, finding a clean .308 sporter in 57 or 579 can be a challenge. And finding a Bofors marked Mannlicher Carbine .308 is a major treasure hunt ! go figure.

My feedback on the Colt rifle pad is to leave as is, for the reasons already discussed here. If the pad is completely destroyed, then I would replace with the like Pachmayr as already mentioned. Save the NOS Sako waffle pad.

DeerGoose

It's amazing how many L579 .308 deluxe rifles there are, at one time I had a dozen or so of them. To the contrary, finding a clean .308 sporter in 57 or 579 can be a challenge. And finding a Bofors marked Mannlicher Carbine .308 is a major treasure hunt ! go figure.

My feedback on the Colt rifle pad is to leave as is, for the reasons already discussed here. If the pad is completely destroyed, then I would replace with the like Pachmayr as already mentioned. Save the NOS Sako waffle pad.

DeerGoose
Amen, have been looking for a minty or even a very good standard L579 .308 for several months and unfortunately been outbid or simply too late to the game.

Go figure is right, it’s funny in a way because a .308 L579 standard seems pretty unremarkable. Obviously a carbine is a treasure.

As we are aware, the price has soared significantly on .308 L579’s, as has .308 AII rifles. I suppose it is related to overall production numbers. Frankly, this is a rifle I’d even consider paying a premium (at this point) if I could find the right specimen.

I’m going to drive to Colorado via Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming next week. Then return via Utah. I will seek out and call every gun shop on the route. Wish me luck…lol…Hopefully I will have coffee with CHAUCER in Green River.

I agree with others regarding the pad, leave it be and let the next owner decide.

Amen, have been looking for a minty or even a very good standard L579 .308 for several months and unfortunately been outbid or simply too late to the game.

Go figure is right, it’s funny in a way because a .308 L579 standard seems pretty unremarkable. Obviously a carbine is a treasure.

As we are aware, the price has soared significantly on .308 L579’s, as has .308 AII rifles. I suppose it is related to overall production numbers. Frankly, this is a rifle I’d even consider paying a premium (at this point) if I could find the right specimen.

I’m going to drive to Colorado via Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming next week. Then return via Utah. I will seek out and call every gun shop on the route. Wish me luck…lol…Hopefully I will have coffee with CHAUCER in Green River.

I agree with others regarding the pad, leave it be and let the next owner decide.

I am not wanting to violate any forum rules. Is it permissible to send photos to bigcountry if he is interested?

Over time I have heard that the number of .308 chambered L579 rifles was about 1/3 of the number of .243’s produced. The .243 is the most common chambering. Same applies to rifles chambered in 22-250.

Hippie

Please post pics as you go especially of any gun shops that might have Sako rifles for sale. I'm sure that we would all enjoy seeing your road trip pics.

rick

I do not have a url host. Someone give me a email address and I will send them to be forwarded.

SPF

Last edited:
Back