• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L 579 Sako rings and things

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BruceHB

What are the suggested torque settings for the thumb screws and top ring mounts? What is the suggested start setting for the base adjustments, should I have the small screw side adjusted all the way in about halfway out (approximately 2.25 turns out?

Attachments

• Sako L579 new Sako rings.jpg
    Sako L579 new Sako rings.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 47
I don't know of any "recommended" torque setting for the vintage Sako thumb screws. The recoil of the rifle will "set" them as tight as they need to be as that is the design intent of the tapered action dovetails. I used to just tighten them with my hands & never had any issues, but as my hand strength has diminished & my arthritis has increase I give them a slight turn with a screwdriver to make sure they are snug. Overtightening them can cause the crossbolt to bend, so don't use gorilla force. The small screw adjustment on the left side is for windage/centering adjustment of the scope. This will vary depending on where the ringmounts are positioned on the tapered dovetails. I just set a 1" tube (or you can use your scope) & adjust the rings so the tube slides back & forth and there is no binding. You can center the scope over the bore using this adjustment screw as well, but I don't worry about getting the scope "exactly" centered & I have never had any trouble getting a scope zeroed with the internal adjustments the turrets provide. Keep in mind this is a self-tightening system & don't get carried away with torque settings.

Curious what caliber that is with the Blue Mountain barrel on there. Is that a heavy barrel? Looks larger than standard sporter.

I don't know of any "recommended" torque setting for the vintage Sako thumb screws. The recoil of the rifle will "set" them as tight as they need to be as that is the design intent of the tapered action dovetails. I used to just tighten them with my hands & never had any issues, but as my hand strength has diminished & my arthritis has increase I give them a slight turn with a screwdriver to make sure they are snug. Overtightening them can cause the crossbolt to bend, so don't use gorilla force. The small screw adjustment on the left side is for windage/centering adjustment of the scope. This will vary depending on where the ringmounts are positioned on the tapered dovetails. I just set a 1" tube (or you can use your scope) & adjust the rings so the tube slides back & forth and there is no binding. You can center the scope over the bore using this adjustment screw as well, but I don't worry about getting the scope "exactly" centered & I have never had any trouble getting a scope zeroed with the internal adjustments the turrets provide. Keep in mind this is a self-tightening system & don't get carried away with torque settings.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Curious what caliber that is with the Blue Mountain barrel on there. Is that a heavy barrel? Looks larger than standard sporter.

I had it chambered for 6mm Creedmoor with a custom chamber, .275 and .135 freebore. The barrel is a custom contour as the Sako action is not as big as the latest premium actions such as the Impact 737r action. It is 26", heavy contour fitted with an APA Little Bastard muzzle brake in a 1 in 7.5 twist rate. The action is glass bedded in Devcon and the barrel is free floating. The trigger is a Canjar set trigger which when set pulls at two ounces.

Attachments

• Sako L579 6mm Creedmoor Oct 2020 (4).jpg
    Sako L579 6mm Creedmoor Oct 2020 (4).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 23
BruceHB......

It may just be my own optical "delusion"......but, in your last pic, it seems as though the ring base cross-screw studs may have already been flexed upward somewhat.

If so....it can be fixed. Just complete dis-assembly.....a firm rubber surface......a machinist's straight-edge......leather mallet......and some VERY careful nerve.

Hope this helps.

BruceHB......

It may just be my own optical "delusion"......but, in your last pic, it seems as though the ring base cross-screw studs may have already been flexed upward somewhat.

If so....it can be fixed. Just complete dis-assembly.....a firm rubber surface......a machinist's straight-edge......leather mallet......and some VERY careful nerve.

Hope this helps.
Kevin:

You're correct, the picture you referenced is an old picture where I did over tighten the screws and bent the base cross-screw studs prompting me to purchase new ones.

Here's a primer on preserving Sako scope rings by using the proper tools and techniques. Like Paulson, I don't use a torque wrench on Sako scope rings. I own one, but I don't find it necessary to use it for this particular job. I prefer what the Germans call "Fingerspitzengefühl" (feeling in the fingertips).
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-scope-ring-tips-use-the-proper-tools.13883/

Thank you, I saw this before and actually took some driver bits and made something familar.

Latest posts

Back