• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Estate Auction

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The 7x57 deluxe I'm not sure but the stock might have been switched out on it. It has the high gloss finish but the barrel and action has more of the dull matte finish.

I looked at these rifles in person, and a few buyers will get a pleasant surprise. It wasn't stated in the ads but a few of the rifles had boxes and paperwork.

Regarding the Mauser with the serial number 3: Sako sold Sako-marked barrels to gunsmiths (etc.) to use for rebarreling. My assumption is that this was a gunsmith-made rifle with a Mauser action and a Sako barrel, not a rifle from the Sako factory.

I once owned the .300H&H sporter
How about that! Glad to know of its provenance. I bought it. I already have a great old L61R in .300 H&H, although mine is rather rough cosmetically. So I didn't "need" the .300 H&H, but thought it was under-priced at $1100 (+ fees/shipping). I really wanted the Deluxe .300 H&H, but a friend spotted it first and since he wanted it I deferred to him. I thought his price of $2,000 on the Deluxe in such a scarce caliber was a great bargain.

But some of the prices were inexplicably high, while others were maybe just shy of the usual market. I guess that's the nature of auctions -- the final price depends on whether there are two or more people interested in an item and how deep their respective pockets are.

I noted that some complained about the photos from the auction. I guess they failed to realize that if you clicked on any photo it would appear full-size, and they were generally of excellent quality and showed nearly everything you would want to see. The auction company has also reached out with good communications after the sale for payment and shipping arrangements. So far, nothing to complain about with this auction.

By the way, some criticized some of the items in the auction in terms of quality, or a few items that appeared to have been from non-original or mismatched parts. Well, who doesn't have one or two items like that? I own a couple of "beater" Sakos, and have a couple which are not in their original stocks. So what? If I were selling them myself I would certainly provide the most detailed description of such issues, but if I'm gone and my widow has an auction house handling them, then no one will be able to provide details about aberrations or mis-matches. The photos told the story, not the brief descriptions. Bidders bid based on what they could see, not someone's questionable description.

Regarding the Mauser with the serial number 3: Sako sold Sako-marked barrels to gunsmiths (etc.) to use for rebarreling. My assumption is that this was a gunsmith-made rifle with a Mauser action and a Sako barrel, not a rifle from the Sako factory.
Thanks for that information. I didn't know about Sako selling barrels for use in custom rifles. That also would explain the low serial number and the different font, as well as some differences in the checkering. Regardless of who built the gun, I think the barrel must be very early production. I've never seen OY Sako AB stamped on a barrel that way rather than just Sako.

I ran into a similar situation a couple of years ago when I bought a 7x64 rifle with a barrel marked Sauer. I assumed it was a Sauer-built gun until I posted photos of it on another board and found out that it was actually a custom, built in 1961 on a military action. It's still a very nice example of a typical German hunting rifle. It's worth what I paid for it, even if it was built by H.Kreher of Wiesbaden rather than J.P. Sauer u. Sohn,

JPS 1.JPG

The J.P. SAUER U. SOHN stamping is partially obscured by the rear sight. The script below it is Spezial-Laufstahl and the name of the steelmaker. The lettering will be more visible if you click on the photo to display it full size.
JPS 6.JPG

Last edited:
I noted that some complained about the photos from the auction. I guess they failed to realize that if you clicked on any photo it would appear full-size, and they were generally of excellent quality and showed nearly everything you would want to see.
What browser are you using? I tried clicking on the photos before the auction and went back and double-checked a few minutes ago and it didn't work. I'm using Safari and I know some web designers don't bother to check their sites for full function in Safari.

What browser are you using?
I was using Firefox which displays the photos full screen. But I tried Explorer and Google Chrome just now and neither would do the full page displays. Go figure. However, both would enlarge the photos with the center magnifier as you move the cursor across the photo.

I was using Firefox which displays the photos full screen. But I tried Explorer and Google Chrome just now and neither would do the full page displays. Go figure. However, both would enlarge the photos with the center magnifier as you move the cursor across the photo.
Right, so does Safari. I guess I should have tried opening the auction site in Firefox. I have it, but I use Safari as default. Anyway, thanks.

Confirmation. The Deluxe 7X57 is a Deluxe with a hi-gloss finish and not a stock swap. Outside of the factory test, it is my opinion that it was unfired and unused. The bolt face, receiver and magazine follower are untouched and every indication of never having a scope mounted or fired., the stock in new condition.
This is going to change shortly and after its being reacquainted with its brother, cousins and other relatives will be paired with a worthy optic and see some field use, as intended.

Reminds me of an anecdote from a very good friend of mine, Bill Maltsberger, old-timey rancher and early innovator of deer management on his ranches. One of his guided hunters showed up at camp and brought out an incredible custom built exhibition grade rifle and passed it around the headquarters, receiving all types of compliments and rounds of approval when Bill said, "lets take it out to the range, shoot it and see what it does", to which the hunter replied, "I don't know about that it as it is so beautiful and I'm not sure I want to do that and actually use it ". Bill, not ever short of quips, replied "I sure hope you don't have a pretty wife". Needless to say the rifle was taken to the range and exercised.

Confirmation. The Deluxe 7X57 is a Deluxe with a hi-gloss finish and not a stock swap. Outside of the factory test, it is my opinion that it was unfired and unused. The bolt face, receiver and magazine follower are untouched and every indication of never having a scope mounted or fired., the stock in new condition.
This is going to change shortly and after its being reacquainted with its brother, cousins and other relatives will be paired with a worthy optic and see some field use, as intended.

Reminds me of an anecdote from a very good friend of mine, Bill Maltsberger, old-timey rancher and early innovator of deer management on his ranches. One of his guided hunters showed up at camp and brought out an incredible custom built exhibition grade rifle and passed it around the headquarters, receiving all types of compliments and rounds of approval when Bill said, "lets take it out to the range, shoot it and see what it does", to which the hunter replied, "I don't know about that it as it is so beautiful and I'm not sure I want to do that and actually use it ". Bill, not ever short of quips, replied "I sure hope you don't have a pretty wife". Needless to say the rifle was taken to the range and exercised.

This has got to be the best response that could have been made. I love it! Thanks for sharing! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I have not received spit from these folks. I paid my bill on the 21st and haven't even got a tracking number.

rick

So far I have not received spit from these folks. I paid my bill on the 21st and haven't even got a tracking number.

rick
He's too busy putting all the rifles he bought at the auction on GunJoker & collecting his $85/rifle for "handling" to bother with actually sending anything to the buyers.

I'm glad that rifle went to a member of our group, and one who will put it to good use. I thought about bidding, as I'm quite fond of the 7x57 cartridge and that rifle is a true gem, but decided that I'd bought enough guns lately and it just didn't talk to me. Hearing from Spaher, I think that was a good decision. I'd have shot it, but I don't hunt any more so it would have been a range toy and I'm happy to see it go to somebody who will take it out hunting.

I believe firmly that guns are built to be shot and I do not buy a gun that is "too valuable to shoot." Elaborately engraved display pieces and "unturned" Colts hold no charm for me. I own several museum pieces, and I shoot them. I've fired both my rare Broomhandle Mausers, one with Finnish Army property markings and the other a Flatside Commercial with a matching stock in near-new condition. The only reason I don't shoot a gun is lack of time. I do have guns I've never fired, but only because I haven't gotten around to it yet. The only exceptions are two rifles hanging on my workshop wall - a Winchester 94 from one of the Mexican revolutions that I don't consider safe to shoot, and a Swiss Vetterli that's missing the extractor.

So, I say three cheers for putting a scope on the 7x57 and taking it out for a hunt. I look forward to Spaher posting a photo of it with the first game animal taken.

Happy Fourth of July!

Hi fellows,
Great looking Sakos, in that auction. I am looking at a .280 cal. rifle from a gun club. Can anyone tell me about the calibers worth or performance.It is an older Sako. Happy 4th, and if I buy it the real fireworks may start! ( the wife is asleep)

Hi fellows,
Great looking Sakos, in that auction. I am looking at a .280 cal. rifle from a gun club. Can anyone tell me about the calibers worth or performance.It is an older Sako. Happy 4th, and if I buy it the real fireworks may start! ( the wife is asleep)
In "older" Sakos, Sako made two versions chambered in .280. The first was a special run of 500 AV's made for GO Wholesale which had the traditional 620mm (24.4") barrel of the Finnbears. The second was also on the AV action, but had the shorter 580mm (22.84" or commonly called 23") barrel which was commercially distributed. Neither is very easy to find, so the caliber usually brings a premium.

The original factory loadings of the .280 Rem were held to modest pressures since it was designed to be used in Remington's 740/742 autoloader and their 760 pump. However, handloading the .280 to .270 pressures makes a round that rivals the 7mm Rem Mag in velocity. I use a case full of slow burning powder in my GO Wholesale .280 under a 150 grain bullet for over 3,000 fps. It strikes with ample authority.

Hi Stonny!
Thanks for the prompt reply You know how it is, rifle looks good, and it's like yours an older model and the devil if nawing at my sholder ??? Can 30/06 casinge be used if resized for this rifle ? and is the round a good performer?

Last edited:
Yep the 06 case lends itself to being formed into a wide variety of rounds including the .280

You may need a case form set so check Redding and C4H.

rick

The .280 is essentially identical to the .270 and the 7x64mm Brenneke in performance. The .270 is actually a .277 diameter and the other two are .284, the standard size for 7mm bullets. The .280 has a slight advantage over the .270 in that heavier bullets are available. The .280 Remington was originally introduced as the 7mm Remington Express. It was unsuccessful in the marketplace under that name, probably because of the widespread aversion among American shooters for metric calibers, the only major exception being the 7mm Remington Magnum. The cartridge was rebranded as the .280 Remington, but is identical to the original 7mm Express. A .280 is plenty of gun for all but the largest of North American game.

Hi Stonny!
Thanks for the prompt reply You know how it is, rifle looks good, and it's like yours an older model and the devil if nawing at my sholder ??? Can 30/06 casinge be used if resized for this rifle ? and is the round a good performer?
It can be done, but it's not as easy as rick would have you believe. The neck is shorter & the shoulder much longer on a 280, so to make 280 brass from 30-06 brass requires several steps. First you have to resized the neck creating a false shoulder in the neck above the 30-06 shoulder that has about a .002" crush fit with regard to headspacing. Then you have to load powder & bullet to fireform the brass to create the new 280 shoulder. Then you have to reload the case again to end up with a loaded 280 Rem cartridge. To me it's just easier & less expensive to just buy 280 brass, but YMMV.

Back