• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello Everybody

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

My name is Agostino Matteucci.
I am a new member reaching out to the Sako community. I have a few questions . The rifles i am looking for are both the Sako 85 Bavarian Left handed and in the calibers 243 and 270.
I live in the central coast of California and we have a lot of wild pigs that need to be hunted. We also have a large amount of black tail deer.
I have been looking for a Sako left handed rifle for about a year now. It is difficult to find a dealer or a gun shop that can help me order either of these guns. When i go to the big online gun stores, the Sakos are backordered not possible.. Has the company stopped making left handed guns in 270 winchester? Or even 243?

Hello Agostino,

Your best option will be eurooptics, gunbroker or Guns International. I was recently told by my local gun shop that there is a two year backlog on new sakos. Unknown if true, but I don't know why he would make that up.

Gary

If you absolutely want a lefty Bavarian, then the 270 Win is the one to look for. They make LH Bavarian only on the action length M, which means 30-06 and similar length calibers.

I can only guess, but I guess the Bavarian isn't a very high volume item in the US, so you won't find anyone keeping it in stock ready to go.

The stock is shaped with purely iron sights in mind so mounting a scope is often tricky, which limits the potential buyer base these days.

Last edited:
Member Bernie's Dad posted about a month ago that he just got a new Bavarian. See the thread "My new Bavarian 7mm 08". He might be able to refer you to a source. Left handers are difficult to find & the Bavarian is even harder. Expanding your caliber choices & model type may make it easier. Good Luck!

Member Bernie's Dad posted about a month ago that he just got a new Bavarian. See the thread "My new Bavarian 7mm 08". He might be able to refer you to a source. Left handers are difficult to find & the Bavarian is even harder. Expanding your caliber choices & model type may make it easier. Good Luck!

Europtic via Gunbroker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everybody !
Wanted to give everyone an update on the left handed .270 Sako hunter search.
After looking around at all the online gun stores and spending some time attempting to contact Sako for an order.
I bought a Weatherby... 3500 dollars ..
It's a bit pricey however, it was a two month lead time, and as i couldn't even get an email back from Sako.. worth it.
HEY SAKO, you know what thet call companies that have no customer service and a two year unfulfilled waiting list for product ?? Bankrupt... just ask Remmington

Hello everybody !
Wanted to give everyone an update on the left handed .270 Sako hunter search.
After looking around at all the online gun stores and spending some time attempting to contact Sako for an order.
I bought a Weatherby... 3500 dollars ..
It's a bit pricey however, it was a two month lead time, and as i couldn't even get an email back from Sako.. worth it.
HEY SAKO, you know what thet call companies that have no customer service and a two year unfulfilled waiting list for product ?? Bankrupt... just ask Remmington
Beretta calls the shots at Sako & has degraded the company since they bought them in 2000. You should have tried contacting Beretta, the owner & importer. Everyone already knows about Beretta's poor(non-existent)customer service. You can't order directly from Sako or from any other manufacturer as the only way to get a rifle into the USA is through an importer, who then sends it to a distributor, who then sends it to a retailer, who then can sell to you. Finding a left hand rifle in a specific caliber & model can be a daunting task. Patience & a willingness to adjust your requirements can help in that quest, but many times lefthanders have to settle for what's there. Glad you found a rifle that fit your needs. Weatherby doesn't & never has made any rifles. They have always sub-contracted their manufacturing over the years. First to Fabrique Nationale in Belgium, then later to Howa in Japan. They import to & distribute them out of their new headquarters in Sheridan, Wyoming.

Remington's Bankruptcy is a non-sequitur to Sako's delay in responding to your inquiry as Remington's problems had nothing to do with customer service or attention.

Remington made good field ammo at a reasonable price and many good weapons (some not so good) but was an overall good manufacturer.

Remington, America's oldest gun maker went bankrupt after a private equity firm bought it, while its sales were strong and made decisions that proved fatal. Cereberus Capital Management (3-headed hound/dog guarding the gates of Hades to prevent the dead from leaving) bought Remington in 2007 for $370M including $252M in assumed debt. Then Remington was moved from Ilion, NY to Huntsville with tens of millions in tax incentives as Remington was earning $500M a year in revenue with gun sales high. However, when it got to Alabama, its debt increased to $828M (reportedly nearly $1 Billion in debt). After the 2016 election, the NIC checks began dropping by double-digit percentages indicating a large drop in gun sales and its profits dropped to zero. So if you load yourself with debt of your own creation, pay yourself lots of money from profits, and then cannot pay the interest due creditors you have the option of bankruptcy as a parachute to erase the debt owed creditors. A not uncommon business model where a few creative ones often make money and then sell off in units once they come out of bankruptcy, free of most liabilities. See, New York Times Magazine, Jesse Barron, May 1, 2019.
In Sept., 2020 Remington Outdoors divisions were auctioned off to seven companies, i.e., Sierra bullets bought Barnes ammo; Ruger got Marlin, Roundhill for non-Marlin arms, etc., See Bloomberg.com, Remington auctioned off to 7 bidders in bankruptcy court, Sept. 27,2020.
BTW: Colt has been acquired by CZ, Ceska Zbrojovka, a Czech Republic Corp. as of Feb. 2021.

I have been frustrated with Sako's website offering custom build rifles (as I've wanting to order a unique build,) but receiving no response, however, patience through shortened manufacturing COVID related times is warranted, especially coming out of Europe. Vehicles and other items are having similar delays and increased difficulty in negotiating prices due to a lack of surplus. Do Not give up on Sako as its quality is superb and virtually unmatched for the price.
I was given 2 Weatherby's many years ago, a Fibermark which stock broke in 2 between the pistol grip and the action while being sighted in for the first time. The stock replacement by Wby was not covered under warranty, as well as a Euromark, which was not as accurate as touted. Both were re-gifted shortly thereafter. I hope you have great results and success with your purchase, but make room for a Sako in your future.

Weatherby doesn't & never has made any rifles. They have always sub-contracted their manufacturing over the years. First to Fabrique Nationale in Belgium, then later to Howa in Japan.
Paulson is certainly correct that Weatherby has never been a rifle manufacturer, just a distributor of guns made under its proprietary name. Roy Weatherby was salesman and a cartridge designer -- but not great at the latter in my opinion.

The first Weatherby's were made on FN actions, but they were actually built by Sako with Sako barrels. Some may have been stocked by Weatherby when they had a shop in Southgate, CA, but, not being that much of a Weatherby enthusiast I'm not sure about that. Their Mark V was first produced by J.P. Sauer in Germany, then production moved to Japan (Howa, I believe, who still makes their Vanguard line). Later, the Mark V was made in Maine by Saco Defense (a military contractor not to be confused with Sako). I'm not sure who is making the Mark V today.

Back