• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The wood got me.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bucktote

Hi ya'll,
Yes I did it, I knew if i fooled around on this site long enough I would lust after another Sako!
I found a L579 Forester in .243 with a beautuful blond stock & 2 line skip French Fox track checkering. I love my Interarms .243 Right hand action, left hand shooter stock, but when I saw the Forester I had to have it. I swore I would not buy another rifle unless it was a left hand action & stock, as I am left eyed but I was smitten !!! My neighbor said I got it because I needed it, I said I'm at the time of life that if I want it I get.
( always better to ask forgivness than permission) Referance Pronghorn in Montana on a bird hunt. It's all your faults !!! I'll send pics. when I get it.

Attachments

• IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg
    IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 157
  • feather crotch (2).jpg
    feather crotch (2).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Hi Paulson, Guess I didn't get the 2nd message thru the system. The Sako A V 30/06 is being mounted in the new stock as my hands have locked up, Carpral tunnel & Duprens Contracture. Checkering done them in. Also the stock from Richards was not configured correctly & I lack both the tools and skill, to set it right.
I will send Pics. when I get the Forester and the A V is complete. Sorry for the confusion. Also since you are well known for your knowledge of Sako Rifles is there a particular loading the .243 favors ??

Hi fellow Sako fans,
I met Grayfox yesterday, he lives closeby. What a refreshingly nice young man.
He met me at the farm and chronoed some loads for me. I also discovered that the scope vendor, while well meaning, was certianly not quailfied to mount a scope correctly.
Grayfox saw it was askew & fixed it in short order. Thanks to this site I have found another friend that shares in the love of shooting & hunting. As a word of caution, several years ago I purchased a laser bore sighting device that chambers in .243 , (S.S.I. brand). It worked well in my other .243 but the tolerances in the Sako would not allow us to use it . I suffer from brain flatulance occasionally & thought I could resize it ??? Destroyed it!!! If I need another, it will be one that fits in the barrel.
I guess that's why they put those bumper stickers on cars & trucks.

Last edited:
With a bolt action or any rifle you can look through the bore from the rear, no "bore sight" device is needed. Simply put the rifle in a gun vice or on sand bags on your shooting bench & look through the bore and align it with a target. Your eye will be behind the buttplate, but you can still see the target & crosshairs through the scope as well. Adjust the crosshairs so they are on the target. Your first shot will be on paper. Save your money. You don't need a "device". I've done it that way for over 50 years & am always within 6" of the bull. Once I got extremely lucky & the first shot hit the bullseye. Secret is the target size & distance letting your eye center the bull in the bore. Turn the turrets opposite the location of the crosshair.

Mr. Paulson,
As usual your advice is on the money & correct. Many years ago I had a Browning
semi auto .243 and used the bore sight device. best P.O. I. = 5" @ 200 yds. Grayfox was quick to see that the mounting of the scope was crooked and I had already bore sighed the barrel to the target but the scope was out of adjustment travel & the cross hairs canted low right. Like you, with his experience and craftmanship he recognized the error in the mounting that the scope salesman made when mounting the scope on the rifle. I no longer have semi auto rifles and will never need a bore sight device again. It is doubtful I will ever fly "Delta" again, and need to quickly check alignment after traveling to a hunting location.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,
I don't understand the comment 50 yards does the trick???
I read Paulson's post & do not see any thing about 50 yards??? Are you suggesting boresighting @ 50 yds ??

I think Paulson said "50 years", not "50 yards". But 50 yards is where I shoot my first shot after mounting a scope and boresighting it (using the "peep down the bore" method just as Paulson described it, and for about the same 50 years.) One shot at 50 yards, then adjust accordingly -- you'll need to move the reticle 2 MOA for each inch the shot is off of the center. Then I move to the 100 yard target to fine tune.

Hi Rick,
I don't understand the comment 50 yards does the trick???
I read Paulson's post & do not see any thing about 50 yards??? Are you suggesting boresighting @ 50 yds ??
Further to others comments, I use 35 yards. I also sight like been discussed but I also use an empty with primer removed for fine adjustments . The primer hole is small enough to get the cross hair exact. Been using this method for many years but as I get older, works better than 50 for me. I also want to be 2” low at my distance.

Back