• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579 Deluxe 243

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

HJJ243

Hello all,

I would just like to thank the SCC Factory Records service for providing some more information on my Sako Deluxe L579 in 243. It was inspected on the 14/03/1969 and shipped on the 18/03/1969 in a single order to Herra Risto Aalto ( I think this is correct as it is hard to read the cursive writing). It is interesting that the rifles before and after it were inspected in 1966, and the rifles shipped in other orders at the time were in the 78XXX.

My father told me this rifle was given to his father (my Papa) when he returned to Finland from Australia on a holiday in 1969-1970. It was given to my Papa by his Cousin who worked at the Sako factory at the time.

I have some Sako factory ammunition that I was told was purchased at the same time as the rifle, as per the photo attached the ammo has the load data sheet with it.

Thankyou HJJ243

Attachments

• 243.jpg
    243.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 243-1.jpg
    243-1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 68
  • 243-2.jpg
    243-2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 243-3.jpg
    243-3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 243-4.jpg
    243-4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 243-5_LI.jpg
    243-5_LI.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 243-6.jpg
    243-6.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 243-7.jpg
    243-7.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 243-8.jpg
    243-8.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 65
Cool story about the history of your rifle Hjj243.

Nice to have a heirloom like that, and it looks to have been well looked after.

It was given to my Papa by his Cousin who worked at the Sako factory at the time.
Do you know the name of the cousin? Since this was a "shipment" of a single rifle (somewhat unusual in the records) it may have been a sale to an employee and the difficult-to-read name of Herra Risto Aalto (sp?) may be the name of the Sako employee/cousin. Do you have any older relatives you could ask about this? Anyway, great provenance on your beautiful Sako.

We've found a few single rifle shipments booked to what appear to be the names of individuals or places like "American Embassy". Those to embassies are assumed to be gifts to foreign dignitaries, many of which are recorded in the Sako 50th Anniversary book. Among Americans receiving presentations were Vice-President (at the time) Lyndon B. Johnson and the three Apollo 11 astronauts.

Nice rifle ! and with the Sako-cool rear site as well. You done good. 1969, huh? Is the barrel marked "Bofors Steel"? If not, I would have lost money had I bet that your rifle had the stamping, as that serial number is more than early enough. Could be another slight Sako anomaly that the reciever sat in stock for a couple of years before they decided the build the rifle....then they grabbed a non-Bofors stamped barrel, assembled it, inspected it, and then shipped it.

receiving presentations were Vice-President (at the time) Lyndon B. Johnson and the three Apollo 11 astronauts.
I've always been interested in "famous" Sakos. We all know that Lee Marvin and Hank Williams Jr. had Sako rifles in their collections. Years ago, I almost bought a Finnbear deluxe once owned by Bocephus. LOL:)

DeerGoose

Do you know the name of the cousin? Since this was a "shipment" of a single rifle (somewhat unusual in the records) it may have been a sale to an employee and the difficult-to-read name of Herra Risto Aalto (sp?) may be the name of the Sako employee/cousin. Do you have any older relatives you could ask about this? Anyway, great provenance on your beautiful Sako.

We've found a few single rifle shipments booked to what appear to be the names of individuals or places like "American Embassy". Those to embassies are assumed to be gifts to foreign dignitaries, many of which are recorded in the Sako 50th Anniversary book. Among Americans receiving presentations were Vice-President (at the time) Lyndon B. Johnson and the three Apollo 11 astronauts.

Hi Stonecreek, I have asked my father what the relatives name was but his memory is not what it used to be. When I see my aunties next i will see if they can remember.

This is the name on the shipping records.

Regards HJ

Attachments

• Record.PNG
    Record.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 23
Nice rifle ! and with the Sako-cool rear site as well. You done good. 1969, huh? Is the barrel marked "Bofors Steel"? If not, I would have lost money had I bet that your rifle had the stamping, as that serial number is more than early enough. Could be another slight Sako anomaly that the reciever sat in stock for a couple of years before they decided the build the rifle....then they grabbed a non-Bofors stamped barrel, assembled it, inspected it, and then shipped it.

I've always been interested in "famous" Sakos. We all know that Lee Marvin and Hank Williams Jr. had Sako rifles in their collections. Years ago, I almost bought a Finnbear deluxe once owned by Bocephus. LOL:)

DeerGoose

Hi Deergoose, How do I tell if it is a Bofors Steel barrel? Also from what I have read, the steel in the barrels did not change it was just they stopped stamping them after a certain date, is this correct?

Cheers HJ

Herra Risto Aalto is a typical Finnish name. Herra is the equivalent of "Mr." in English, by way of the German Herr, and possibly the equivalent in Swedish (quite likely, but I can't say as I don't speak Swedish). Aalto would be a correct spelling; the surname is the same as the famous Finnish architect and designer Alvar Aalto.

Herra Risto Aalto is a typical Finnish name. Herra is the equivalent of "Mr." in English, by way of the German Herr, and possibly the equivalent in Swedish (quite likely, but I can't say as I don't speak Swedish). Aalto would be a correct spelling; the surname is the same as the famous Finnish architect and designer Alvar Aalto.

Thankyou for letting me know this Icebear.

Latest posts

Back